Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Fifa 21

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes I appreciate as a 38 year old man I should probably grow up but I still look forward to the new FIFA coming out every year! And it is the only computer game I play in fairness!

Anyway, many others on here getting it or played it yet? I’m an Xbox man for any interested in playing online.

I got the EA Play early access yesterday so played for a couple of hours last night. As enjoyable as ever but some of our player ratings are ridiculously low:

Alzate - 68!!!!
Lamptey - 72 - pace of only 82!!

Anyone know if player ratings will get an update soon?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Not buying another FIFA until they put some effort in to a game mode other than their Gambling For Kids cash cow.

Will wait until it appears on EA Access.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I took part in the beta testing, the stats originally announced for the players were the same as they were in the beta. The game play was ok, didn't feel massively different to previous versions (but the changes are always minimal really). Found a few bugs which were reported, mainly glitches in the game when things like penalties were given. The stadium still hadn't been updated to show the new TV studio in the south east corner and it was still using last seasons kits so no idea what the new ones look like.

The one thing I didn't like in testing was the new loan to buy option added to the transfer system in career mode. You can put a player up for loan but another club will want a loan to buy deal and when you refuse the other manager will throw his virtual toys out of the pram and leave, never to come back in for the player. Didn't get one loan move through which meant I had a huge squad inflated by younger players who I wanted out on loan to develop but couldn't go anywhere. I did like the ability to develop a player into another position, although it was a bit buggy, you'd get a player questioning why he had played a new position in a game and if it was the right position to play, when he either had played his normal position anyway or hadn't even played in the game.

Overall I'll be picking up a copy next week but I won't get much chance to play on it as my two sons will hijack it pretty quickly and with a PS5 on pre order I'll pick up a copy on that once it's released.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Used to get it religiously on release date but haven’t since FIFA 18. Have preordered this year though - don’t know anything about the game or what improvements to expect since 18. Looking forward to getting stuck into career mode again.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My son has been eagerly awaiting . . . . I've never been into computer games, always found them a bit sad.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not buying another FIFA until they put some effort in to a game mode other than their Gambling For Kids cash cow.

Will wait until it appears on EA Access.

This. I bought FIFA 20 out of boredom despite telling myself I wouldn't buy another after the absolute shitshow of FIFA 19.

Playing that further compounded the fact EA only give a shite about UT, specifically selling packs to impressionable kids. The gameplay and servers are woeful and the only change in career mode since FIFA 12 has been those ridiculous cut scenes. Pro Clubs has also barely been touched since it was bought into the game. Not getting suckered in again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son is a FIFA addict and we got the 10 hour preview version last night and had a couple of son v dad battles. He played as Brighton and the first thing we commented on was the ridicuously low ratings for Lamptey :lolol: . I did a random select on the Premier League and came up with Leicester. I won 5-2 and considering I am a) shit and b) had consumed two glasses of Vouvray prior to playing and c) he is decent tells you all you need to know about our incorrect player ratings!

I will still get it for him* as his birthday is close to release date and we're also looking at an X Box Series X soon-ish.

As for those who say it encourages kids to gamble I would strongly suggest you take their mobile phones off them as well and never let them help you with your fantasy team or Super 6. Or you could just manage it properly. His account is linked to his Go Henry card. He can only spend what balance is on the card, we only top it up when he does jobs around the house or gets Positive Points at school and when it's gone, it's gone. Simple really. There's also a distinct possibility that EA will have to release a UK only version without the incentives if loot crates are banned over here.

*us, obviously

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm torn about this. I play less and less games but I've also played or bought every Fifa since Fifa 99 (I still have it on my N64). It is v good to kill some time and as much as I say I won't, I probably will.

Have they done anything to the Career modes to make it worthwhile? I play that more than online and want an excuse not to throw money at FUT as well - if there's not I won't bother.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm still playing FIFA18 :shrug:

Once upon a time I would buy every version, year on year (same with Football Manager) but after a while the changes become so negligible that it's not worth the expense.

Plus I don't bother with any of the online components which makes the newer ones, with their focus on UT etc, even less appealing.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
My son is a FIFA addict and we got the 10 hour preview version last night and had a couple of son v dad battles. He played as Brighton and the first thing we commented on was the ridicuously low ratings for Lamptey :lolol: . I did a random select on the Premier League and came up with Leicester. I won 5-2 and considering I am a) shit and b) had consumed two glasses of Vouvray prior to playing and c) he is decent tells you all you need to know about our incorrect player ratings!

I will still get it for him* as his birthday is close to release date and we're also looking at an X Box Series X soon-ish.

As for those who say it encourages kids to gamble I would strongly suggest you take their mobile phones off them as well and never let them help you with your fantasy team or Super 6. Or you could just manage it properly. His account is linked to his Go Henry card. He can only spend what balance is on the card, we only top it up when he does jobs around the house or gets Positive Points at school and when it's gone, it's gone. Simple really. There's also a distinct possibility that EA will have to release a UK only version without the incentives if loot crates are banned over here.

*us, obviously

Multiple studies have shown that loot boxes are linked with future gambling addictions. Even small amounts can hook someone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Multiple studies have shown that loot boxes are linked with future gambling addictions. Even small amounts can hook someone.

But in how many numbers? Surely not everyone playing FIFA is a future gambling addict? Again, it comes down to parental responsibility.

Back in the good old days when we were allowed to go to games my mate and I would travel by train with our sons to the Amex. We'd both have our betting apps to put on an acca and normally a first scorer or BTTS bet but in very small amounts. We'd also put £1 for each child on what they thought the correct score would be. But that came with a proper talk about the small amounts being wagered, how we only ever did it on home games and how destructive big gambling can be. If not they'd have simply been earwigging a bunch of blokes on the same train celebrating a bet coming in / shoving on an acca. Loot boxes are not just on FIFA, they're on so many games and devices. I understand they could soon be banned in the UK but all the time they are not I'd prefer to have a proper responsible conversation about them with my kids than ban everything myself.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm torn about this. I play less and less games but I've also played or bought every Fifa since Fifa 99 (I still have it on my N64). It is v good to kill some time and as much as I say I won't, I probably will.

Have they done anything to the Career modes to make it worthwhile? I play that more than online and want an excuse not to throw money at FUT as well - if there's not I won't bother.

Career mode now has a live sim so you can watch little dots run around and jump in to take free kicks/penalties, etc. You can also train a player to have a different position, and loan to buy is back. Things like scout future star and financial takeover are gone, but can be picked at the beginning of each new save.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Career mode now has a live sim so you can watch little dots run around and jump in to take free kicks/penalties, etc. You can also train a player to have a different position, and loan to buy is back. Things like scout future star and financial takeover are gone, but can be picked at the beginning of each new save.

Nice one. Have they amended much of the 'Be a Pro' part of it? I like starting as a player then progressing to a manager...but the player portion has been so easy and repetitive for a number of years now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here