Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One million breast screenings missed because of Pandemic

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can I ask, and this is a genuine question, and not a dig in any way, what do you get out of posting all these links?

Especially when you always go for the headline grabbing dramatic side of the story, despite the fact that often there is a bigger, more hopeful story behind the headline!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Breast Cancer Now have said it has grave concerns that so many women are in diagnosed. I’m not sure I see the hopeful side of the story.

The purpose of the posts are to evidence that there are significant downsides (health and social) coming from the measures that have been in place that will in my opinion dwarf the pain currently seen from covid. Hopefully they might help some people view what’s happening in the world with some more balance than many are appearing to currently.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
They also said this...

“We understand that the breast screening programme was paused out of necessity due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, but we must now press play to ensure that all women can access breast screening, and we cannot afford for the programme to be paused again."

NHS England also added...

”More than 200,000 people were treated for cancer during the peak of the pandemic, breast screening services are now fully up and running with over 400,000 women invited between June and August and thousands more invites are now being sent every month - we would encourage anyone who is invited to book an appointment."

While none of this is ideal, it’s not as bleak as you constantly paint it...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
They also said this...

“We understand that the breast screening programme was paused out of necessity due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, but we must now press play to ensure that all women can access breast screening, and we cannot afford for the programme to be paused again."

NHS England also added...

”More than 200,000 people were treated for cancer during the peak of the pandemic, breast screening services are now fully up and running with over 400,000 women invited between June and August and thousands more invites are now being sent every month - we would encourage anyone who is invited to book an appointment."

While none of this is ideal, it’s not as bleak as you constantly paint it...

I still don’t see what’s that hopeful for the 8600 undiagnosed women when it is widely known that the earlier the cancer is detected the higher the survival rate in the above two statements.

At the end of the day I thought this was a Covid forum and I’ve posted a factual story of a negative impact of covid. One that I hope might help people understand that another lockdown if forced on us would come with significant costs.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I still don’t see what’s that hopeful for the 8600 undiagnosed women when it is widely known that the earlier the cancer is detected the higher the survival rate in the above two statements.

At the end of the day I thought this was a Covid forum and I’ve posted a factual story of a negative impact of covid. One that I hope might help people understand that another lockdown if forced on us would come with significant costs.

But my point stands, day after day after day you post more and more stuff, none of it with a modicum of hope. As I have said you are also very selective with the stats and facts to fit your narrative.

The lady you quoted from Cancer Now appeared to understand the situation, but clearly you don’t want to...

I think for both our sakes I shall withdraw from this conversation. Please don’t take this as a flounce, just common sense from me, as clearly we are NEVER going to agree.

I truly wish you well, stay safe!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The only way to keep BAU health services up and running, treating all those who non-Covid related ailments, is to keep a lid on Covid-19 infection levels.

If Covid-19 infection rates rise, leading to a spike in hospitalisations to the point of overwhelming resources allocated to treat Covid-19 patients, then governments and health services have two options:

1. Turn people away from hospital. People who would otherwise survive their Covid-19 infections, with the help of hospital care, will die.
2. Start converting other hospital resources to accommodate Covid-19 patients. This means those who require other treatments, for cancer and the like, will have to wait. Some will miss vital treatments ultimately leading to people dying prematurely.

Keep Covid-19 in check through a series of measures then hospitals can operate their full range of BAU services, helping those who need it.

Israel is currently at the point of having to do 2 above. When people are turning up at the hospital sick NOW, very few health services will do 1 above.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The only way to keep BAU health services up and running, treating all those who non-Covid related ailments, is to keep a lid on Covid-19 infection levels.

If Covid-19 infection rates rise, leading to a spike in hospitalisations to the point of overwhelming resources allocated to treat Covid-19 patients, then governments and health services have two options:

1. Turn people away from hospital. People who would otherwise survive their Covid-19 infections, with the help of hospital care, will die.
2. Start converting other hospital resources to accommodate Covid-19 patients. This means those who require other treatments, for cancer and the like, will have to wait. Some will miss vital treatments ultimately leading to people dying prematurely.

Keep Covid-19 in check through a series of measures then hospitals can operate their full range of BAU services, helping those who need it.

Israel is currently at the point of having to do 2 above. When people are turning up at the hospital sick NOW, very few health services will do 1 above.

In the UK we didn’t even get close to using the covid dedicated hospital capacity during our peak and all other parts of our hospitals were widely acknowledged as being deserted.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the UK we didn’t even get close to using the covid dedicated hospital capacity during our peak and all other parts of our hospitals were widely acknowledged as being deserted.

We were very much in unknown territory back in March/April. Now we are not.

Keep a lid on Covid-19 infections using a range of relatively simple measures and hospitals can operate BAU.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But wouldn't anyone with cancer have had to end up taking part in various treatments which would have put them more at risk of serious complications from Covid, and thus their risk of death may actually have increased?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I don't think we have any real idea how close we were to capacity, as capacity is just a theoretical figure until we need to use it. Only then do we find out the limitations, shortages and bottlenecks. Building Nightingale hospitals was very good and impressive but luckily, we didn't have to find out whether we could supply the staff or equipment to operate them.

We had plenty of capacity in our Covid testing system until we needed to use that capacity, and then, as the shortages and bottlenecks appeared, it became apparent that the capacity figure was significantly overstated :shrug:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I don't think we have any real idea how close we were to capacity, as capacity is just a theoretical figure until we need to use it. Only then do we find out the limitations, shortages and bottlenecks. Building Nightingale hospitals was very good and impressive but luckily, we didn't have to find out whether we could supply the staff or equipment to operate them.

We had plenty of capacity in our Covid testing system until we needed to use that capacity, and then, as the shortages and bottlenecks appeared, it became apparent that the capacity figure was significantly overstated :shrug:

I'm not arguing for one second that building capacity was a bad move, but that it's vitally important that any idea of future lockdowns realise that the broader cost is potentially much higher than the covid benefit.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I think it's likely that he may ignore this post as it doesn't fit his genda, but what you say is true.

Actually I’m not sure that it is. I’ve read a couple bits that alluded that the drug concoctions used in chemo kills the COVID virus. There are also a number of cases where chemo patients have been asymptotic. As always it’s early days and it maybe just one particular drug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here