Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best wifi mesh network equipment?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I need to fiddle around with the wifi/wired broadband connections in my new place. I need a combination of wifi extenders/boosters and wired ethernet outlets - the latter for streaming video/games/music.

It seems to me that the best option would be to create a mesh network (I reckon I'd need three or four pieces of hardware scattered around the house), some of which (two?) would need at least one ethernet outlet, preferably two or three.

The research I've done has left me somewhat confused - any recommendations please?

My ISP is BT fibre.

TVM

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I need to fiddle around with the wifi/wired broadband connections in my new place. I need a combination of wifi extenders/boosters and wired ethernet outlets - the latter for streaming video/games/music.

It seems to me that the best option would be to create a mesh network (I reckon I'd need three or four pieces of hardware scattered around the house), some of which (two?) would need at least one ethernet outlet, preferably two or three.

The research I've done has left me somewhat confused - any recommendations please?

My ISP is BT fibre.

TVM

Don't bother with extenders and boosters, a mesh network is better.

I've got the TP-Link Decos, they're okay, but I have my Sky router going into the main Deco, then out of that into an ethernet switch that serves about 6 hardwire lines, 2 of which connect to 2 further Decos. The issue I have is the Xbox (I think) messes with the allocation of IP addresses from the router, so I get a slowing down of everything. I'm not sure how to rectify it, but it's slightly annoying. I don't think it's the Decos - I quite like their setup and iOS app interface.

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
Set-up Deco M5 Mesh at my parents. Was very impressed with how simple it was and the range is really good. They have a log cabin at the end of the garden as a home office and it works fine in there.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
BT Whole Home. It's a 3 disc mesh set up available for £169 on Amazon. I bought it to go on our sky router as we had issues with coverage and signal strength in the house and it was brilliant. We get great speeds throughout the house, and even 100ft down the end of the garden!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I have been toying with the idea of getting mesh network too - I've got Virgin Media and have had to have boosters as the signal was poor and kept dropping out.
Even after installing the boosters it still keeps dropping out. God knows what I've done wrong as I followed their instructions to the letter
Hold on this is starting to sound like one of Ben's Grandad's posts !!!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I installed the Deco M5s about 6 months ago. Easy to set up, and pleased with the results. Got the 3 pack, maisonette covered.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I've got tp link m5 decos with 1 plugged into sky router, & 2 wifi connected ones 2 give whole house coverage.

Happily can be streaming a movie, xbox streaming games, nintendo switch streaming games, someone surfing internet on laptop & watching stuff on internet on phones & working on laptop at end of the garden at same time. Very happy with it.

We've got sky fibre max

Jul 7, 2003
I have been toying with the idea of getting mesh network too - I've got Virgin Media and have had to have boosters as the signal was poor and kept dropping out.
Even after installing the boosters it still keeps dropping out. God knows what I've done wrong as I followed their instructions to the letter

I'm with VM and their SuperHubs are a great misnomer. However, if you have the newest version, use it in router mode and link it up with the Tenda Nova 6 and it works really well. We have three units in an old three bedroom house with proper walls and we now get great speeds throughout the house and in the garden

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
BT Whole Home. It's a 3 disc mesh set up available for £169 on Amazon. I bought it to go on our sky router as we had issues with coverage and signal strength in the house and it was brilliant. We get great speeds throughout the house, and even 100ft down the end of the garden!
I'd recommend this also. Didn't want any hassle or router changes when setting up. So easy and results blew me away. Turned a shit WiFi using latest Virginia WiFi router to a fantastic service. App is realty good too. Can boot people and devices off it. Great fun

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Many thanks all.

Had a read through this thread and the other three recent similar ones linked above (shoulda done a better search before posting). Got enough info to make a decision now, I think.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
First thing to do is ring BT and very nicely say you are struggling for reception. Even though I wasn't on their halo package, I still wangled a free set of their complete WiFi discs which have worked amazingly well for me. If you are on halo, then they are obliged to give you multiple discs until it works perfectly.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I got deco p9 two months ago as reception in our extension was rubbish - easy to set up and made a difference

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I got a pair of Decos to replace the useless wifi on our Superhub. Haven't looked back.

The Superhub still works as the router though, mainly as I'd have needed to have bought another switch to handle all the stuff currently plugged into it and I couldn't be bothered. The Deco has some interesting router features that may be worth exploring if I do ever feel the need to get another switch though.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
OK, rather than start yet another thread on this topic, I thought I would ask my questions here if I may...

I have a BT Home Hub 5 and a TP Link AV600 extender (additional SSID specifically for the master bedroom end of the house) which appears to have died today.

I live in a large detached property with mostly solid internal walls throughout. Router is roughly central on the ground floor of 2 floors plus a cellar.

As this WFH and home schooling lark etc. appears to be around for the foreseeable, I need to buy something to replace the extender and am considering an upgrade to a mesh option.

Should I also replace my router?

If I went for the Tenda Nova MW6, can additional nodes be bought and added?

Any other options for my needs?

Thanks!!!

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Got six Deco P9's for christmas and turned the V SuperHub piece of shit into a Modem. Three weeks in so good- easy to set up and pretty stable. Managed to get Wifi into my garage which is separate from the house and my neighbours 50 feet away can get good signal too :eek:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Got six Deco P9's for christmas and turned the V SuperHub piece of shit into a Modem. Three weeks in so good- easy to set up and pretty stable. Managed to get Wifi into my garage which is separate from the house and my neighbours 50 feet away can get good signal too :eek:

I have gone for a set of 3 Deco P9s just waiting for them to arrive.

Do you use yours as a router or to better transmit your wifi signal?

I have watched a short youtube vid and it mentins 2 ways to connect.

Also, are you using the powerline option too? If so, does this mean you need to use your existing router and does a P9 need to be attached by ethernet cable?

Thanks and apologies for all the questions.

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)

Run the Virgin router in modem only mode and add a seperate mesh router system. I use Virgin with the Netgear Orbi system. The router and one extender in the hall covers the whole house plus a seperate extender in my office (in the garden) thats wired via CAT5 from the house to cover my office

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here