Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Jet Stream

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
For about 30 years of my life I have always thought I knew what it was because it's in weather forecasts almost every day.

Then when I was asked to explain it to someone I realised I didn't really know the first thing about it and had to look up what it actually was.

But here is my question. Has it always been there or has it been created by Aeroplane path flights ?

Or Do Aeroplanes just follow the Streams of air to make them fuel efficient ?

Or did it just get the name because it is naturally created jets if air ?

Does anyone know with any certainty ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was created by 5G

Calling [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] for definitive confirmation.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
For about 30 years of my life I have always thought I knew what it was because it's in weather forecasts almost every day.

Then when I was asked to explain it to someone I realised I didn't really know the first thing about it and had to look up what it actually was.

But here is my question. Has it always been there or has it been created by Aeroplane path flights ?

Or Do Aeroplanes just follow the Streams of air to make them fuel efficient ?

Or did it just get the name because it is naturally created jets if air ?

Does anyone know with any certainty ?

Is it not an american caravan? :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was created by 5G

Calling [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] for definitive confirmation.

The jet stream marks the boundary between regions of relatively warm and cold air, and usually represents the active areas of weather.

They usually flow West to East, and at our latitude, we are talking about the Polar jet, which flows across the Atlantic. An active jet stream can reach speeds in excess of 250mph, but focused in a relatively small region.

It gets the name because jet aircraft can get a significant speed or efficiency boost by flying within it.

There are 4 jets that circumnavigate the planet, a polar and subtropical in each hemisphere.

Yoda

English & European
It gets the name because jet aircraft can get a significant speed or efficiency boost by flying within it.

Yep! I once remember hearing about a 747 that was flying back from the USA in a strong the jet once and due to it was technically flying supersonic, although it relative speed within the jet was not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The jet stream marks the boundary between regions of relatively warm and cold air, and usually represents the active areas of weather.

They usually flow West to East, and at our latitude, we are talking about the Polar jet, which flows across the Atlantic. An active jet stream can reach speeds in excess of 250mph, but focused in a relatively small region.

There are 4 jets that circumnavigate the planet, a polar and subtropical in each hemisphere.

I thank you.

5G it is. :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Damn it. I thought he was an exciting young Striker we’d bought.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

But the jet stream must have existed before the invention of aircraft and we must have known it existed before the invention of aircraft?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I always hate it when pilots fly at 35-36 thousand feet to try to make up time rather than 32-33 thousand feet . I know the difference doesn’t appear a lot but it always seems we hit a lot more turbulence flying that bit higher . No idea why .

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
But the jet stream must have existed before the invention of aircraft and we must have known it existed before the invention of aircraft?

Jet streams were first discovered in the 1920s by a Japanese meteorologist named Wasaburo Ooishi. He used weather balloons to track upper level winds high above Mount Fuji. The term “jet stream" wasn't used until 1939, though, when a German meteorologist first used the term in a research paper.
courtesy of www.wonderopolis.org › wonder › what-is-a-jet-stream

A Fu-Go or fire balloon. "balloon bomb", was a weapon launched by Japan during World War II. A hydrogen balloon with a load varying from a 33 lb (15 kg) antipersonnel bomb to one 26-pound (12 kg) incendiary bomb and four 11 lb (5.0 kg) incendiary devices attached, it was designed as a cheap weapon intended to make use of the jet stream over the Pacific Ocean and drop bombs on American cities, forests, and farmland. Canada and Mexico reported fire balloon sightings as well.

The Japanese fire balloon was the first ever weapon possessing intercontinental range.
Courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I now feel enlightened - Thank You

I wish I had known this when I was asked so that I could show off but thanks for my new found knowledge

All I need now is to try and navigate a conversation with someone else now to bring the topic up again. Do you think it might get discussed at the next Trump v Biden Debate ????

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

It gets the name because jet aircraft can get a significant speed or efficiency boost by flying within it.....

Not true, please see post #13 Jets do utilise it but that's not where the name comes from.

The actual word 'jet' has been in use since the late 17th century. https://www.etymonline.com/word/jet

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I now feel enlightened - Thank You

I wish I had known this when I was asked so that I could show off but thanks for my new found knowledge

All I need now is to try and navigate a conversation with someone else now to bring the topic up again. Do you think it might get discussed at the next Trump v Biden Debate ????

If you enter a typically British conversation it’s bound to drift into weather at some point.

If in December and we’ve had a wet soggy windy start to winter then you can claim it’s because of a Zonal Jet and therefore west to east wind flow and if it goes the other way and we see cold then it’s most likely to be as a result of a wandering or meridional flow [North/South rather than West/East]....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not to be confused with the illegal jet stream you don't have to pay for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here