Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wing-backs?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
We need a better lwb than Solly, before everyone jumps to Solly's defence, i think Solly is a great player and gives 100% every game, but he is also extremely versatile, he gives that cover for BOTH wing back positions as well as being able to play further forward.

In my opinion we need a striker (unless Zeqiri) is expected to be able to make the step up immediately, because Gyokeres doesn't look ready and lacks the determination to close the defenders down that we have become used to from Maupay and Connolly. We also need a LWB as i said above and Bernardo isn't good enough, that's not because of his performance tonight, i've thought he has been poor every time i've seen him since his first season, which admittedly hasn't been often, but there is a reason he's not being picked.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We need a better lwb than Solly, before everyone jumps to Solly's defence, i think Solly is a great player and gives 100% every game, but he is also extremely versatile, he gives that cover for BOTH wing back positions as well as being able to play further forward.

In my opinion we need a striker (unless Zeqiri) is expected to be able to make the step up immediately, because Gyokeres doesn't look ready and lacks the determination to close the defenders down that we have become used to from Maupay and Connolly. We also need a LWB as i said above and Bernardo isn't good enough, that's not because of his performance tonight, i've thought he has been poor every time i've seen him since his first season, which admittedly hasn't been often, but there is a reason he's not being picked.

We need at least a LWB better than Bernardo and Burn, but that's a pretty low bar.

Ideally the "better than what we've got" mantra will get a dusting off and be put into practice. Healthy competition and someone who doesn't significantly drop our quality level is a must, and right now if Solly gets injured or loses form neither Burn or Bernado are the answer.

We're threadbare on the left despite the numbers.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC

This is why I'd love to see the Sessegnon loan this season.

Solly can cover both sides.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We just need to get back.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Already said on another thread, but Zinchenko is our guy. City ready to offload him, top class LWB that can play in the middle or further forward with 33 international caps, a few years of Pep coaching under his belt and still only 23. Fits the bill to a tee.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When the B team plays PL opposition it looks terrible huge lack of pace in the side. Can’t see it changing as our budget this year appears to be about £50.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Already said on another thread, but Zinchenko is our guy. City ready to offload him, top class LWB that can play in the middle or further forward with 33 international caps, a few years of Pep coaching under his belt and still only 23. Fits the bill to a tee.

Wasn’t in their squad last night

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Would be a great signing but no doubt he’ll be off to a Spanish or Italian club playing Europa League or Champions League.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
This is why I'd love to see the Sessegnon loan this season.

Solly can cover both sides.

Solly both sides? :lolol:

He is the most one footed player I have ever seen, very happy for him to be on the left but not on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If a first choice wing back gets injured most likely we'll revert to a back 4. If he really wants to keep it as a 343, Alzate is likely to be shuffled across whichever side, Burn next in order of likelihood.

Disagree with anyone saying Solly on the right wouldn't work

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Would be a great signing but no doubt he’ll be off to a Spanish or Italian club playing Europa League or Champions League.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him move to a club at about our level

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Solly both sides? :lolol:

He is the most one footed player I have ever seen, very happy for him to be on the left but not on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd have hated his performance against Newcastle United then.

Meanwhile, it's fairly obvious - when March (who is finally getting somewhere closer to his potential) and Lamptey are fit, they both work very well as wing-backs. The issue is then when one or either of them isn't playing. So far, Potter has then immediately reverted to back four (Lamptey off / Burn on against Newcastle is an example).

It's all well and good saying we need back up in that area, but the point is, we have still been playing fairly well with either set up.

Burn at left-back or CB is fine for me. Veltman, who is a cut above, or White at RB are also fine for me.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
OK lads. Can you clear something up for me?

Did we start the first half against Man U in the League Cup with three at the back with Veltman and Bernardo as wing-backs?

If we did, then this idea that we automatically change formation without March and Lamptey is not 100% true.
In the second half we moved to a flat back four.
I'm sure I'm not as tactically astute as some of you (always willing to learn) but it looked like a wing-back formation in the first half?

If this is true I don't think it's a leap to say Potter likes it a lot and is willing to play alternative wing-backs.
And if that is our favoured formation, the one we train the most, we need wing-backs who excel in that position (as well, as back ups who can do a bloody good job).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK lads. Can you clear something up for me?

Did we start the first half against Man U in the League Cup with three at the back with Veltman and Bernardo as wing-backs?

If we did, then this idea that we automatically change formation without March and Lamptey is not 100% true.
In the second half we moved to a flat back four.
I'm sure I'm not as tactically astute as some of you (always willing to learn) but it looked like a wing-back formation in the first half?

If this is true I don't think it's a leap to say Potter likes it a lot and is willing to play alternative wing-backs.
And if that is our favoured formation, the one we train the most, we need wing-backs who excel in that position (as well, as back ups who can do a bloody good job).

Agree with all you have said above about how we lined up last night and it is a question why we would play the first half with wing backs, when we obviously didn't have the personnel for it ?

I wonder if it may be that GP's preferred option is wing backs, but also wants to be able to easily switch back and forth between that and a flat back 4. And, at the end of the day, although we wanted to win last night, it was backup practice for the first team. For that reason, maybe he wanted to play 45 with wing backs and 45 with a flat back 4 to get all the players used to both and switching between them.

Just suggesting a possibility :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here