Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wing-backs?

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
There will be times when March and Lamptey can't play for whatever reason - injury, fatigue, suspension, etc.

Seems as though the wing-back system is favoured by Potter over any other formation.

If that's a given, are Bernardo and Veltman good enough back-ups in those positions to make it work?

Veltman looks class tbh. But I don't know if wing-back suits him.

I have no idea what to think of Bernardo anymore. In the second half, when we changed shape, he wasn't even utilised as a left back.

Just looking for thoughts / insight regarding our strength of depth in the wing-back role?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We need a left back.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Bernardo looks disastrous every time I see him. We have to be realistic, having Veltman and Burn as our back up wing backs is a strong position to be in, we’d struggle to attract and afford top quality players just to sit on the bench on the off chance they get a game.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
There will be times when March and Lamptey can't play for whatever reason - injury, fatigue, suspension, etc.

Seems as though the wing-back system is favoured by Potter over any other formation.

If that's a given, are Bernardo and Veltman good enough back-ups in those positions to make it work?

Veltman looks class tbh. But I don't know if wing-back suits him.

I have no idea what to think of Bernardo anymore. In the second half, when we changed shape, he wasn't even utilised as a left back.

Just looking for thoughts / insight regarding our strength of depth in the wing-back role?

GP didn't play wing backs a lot last season, I'm guessing because he didn't think we had the personnel. So if March and Lamptey aren't available it wouldn't surprise me to see a switch in formation. Maybe a flat 4 with Veltman/Burn (or Webster or White) as full backs ?

It's the same as us 'needing' a Murray replacement when we were playing to Murray's strengths. Now i'm not sure that is what's needed (athough still think we need another striker, but not necessarily a Murray type).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Veltman is slow AF. Looked poor tonight against better opposition. Something that happened a lot when Ajax played better teams and Holland for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Who is going to be happy sitting on bench ? These two are perfectly fine. Don’t forget alzate at right back ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Bernardo looks disastrous every time I see him. We have to be realistic, having Veltman and Burn as our back up wing backs is a strong position to be in, we’d struggle to attract and afford top quality players just to sit on the bench on the off chance they get a game.

Burn is horrible at LWB. Offers nothing going forward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Exactly. Veltman and Burn as back up are OK. It'd be great to have better, but we can't have £50 - £100K a week players sitting on the bench for every position. We're building, evolving.

No way are we going to go out and buy, buy, buy like we're some oligarch or middle eastern owned club. We've improved the squad over the summer, maybe we'll do a bit in January, and then another notch up next summer. Things are looking good (even if tonight didn't).

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I thought Burn looked good on the left of a back 3, when he moved to LWB I could describe him in one word - lumbering. He’s not a LWB and that idea needs to be binned off now.
Bernardo, what has happened to him? Looked like Bambi half the time.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If we can’t play our two wing backs (March & Lamptey), we’ll probably just revert to a back two with full backs instead.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought Burn looked good on the left of a back 3, when he moved to LWB I could describe him in one word - lumbering. He’s not a LWB and that idea needs to be binned off now.
Bernardo, what has happened to him? Looked like Bambi half the time.

Agreed . . .I'm not sure what happened with Bernardo, mediocre first half . . . . Could have been better, but not bad, then got moved to a defensive midfield role . . . . I can only hope GP has ideas to better utilise him as he is half decent . . .but what do we know.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Bernardo was very poor at LWB but when he moved to a more central role he was even worse.
Game was screaming out for Izquierdio to come on so shame he's not quite ready yet - might he be the LWB we crave?

Veltman also not shining when played out of position - going to be a problem giving him game time now ....

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Bernardo playing central midfield, strange one that thought he would have been the one to come off for Trossard or Sanders

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bernardo playing central midfield, strange one that thought he would have been the one to come off for Trossard or Sanders

That's what I was saying/thinking . . . . I'm hoping GP see's a good player in there, I think there is, it's jus getting it out . . . . If anyone can . . . .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here