Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Anyone know about sattelite TV ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My boy has bought a flat and there is a communal dish on it. He doesn't want to subscribe to sky, just watch free channels.
I got a Sky +HD box for free as I thought you could watch BBC, ITV etc without a card. Connected the cables up but no channels detected. Thought it might be a duff box so I got an old Humax Freesat box out of the loft whixh I used to use about 8 years ago.
That one gets a signal on one of the LNB feeds but would not auto-tune. I did a manual tune and all I could pick up was stuff like Punjabi TV on channels 5001 onwards, nothing on channels 1/101 etc...

Any ideas anyone ?

Suggestions of "have you tried turning it off an on again ?" especially welcome

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My boy has bought a flat and there is a communal dish on it. He doesn't want to subscribe to sky, just watch free channels.
I got a Sky +HD box for free as I thought you could watch BBC, ITV etc without a card. Connected the cables up but no channels detected. Thought it might be a duff box so I got an old Humax Freesat box out of the loft whixh I used to use about 8 years ago.
That one gets a signal on one of the LNB feeds but would not auto-tune. I did a manual tune and all I could pick up was stuff like Punjabi TV on channels 5001 onwards, nothing on channels 1/101 etc...

Any ideas anyone ?

Had something similiar. I upgraded to the new Sky and they replace the dish a few years ago. When I was decorating put the TV back in and connected the dish direct to the TV which has in-built freesat receiver, I'd imagine the same age as your Humax box.

Wouldn't tune at all. I'm now expert, but I suspect it's the LNB on the newer dish. I'd be interested to hear why.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Any ideas anyone ?

If it becomes a bit of a ballache a 4K Firestick turns a TV with an HDMI point into a Smart TV, from which you can subscribe to all the FreeView channels.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you're in a block of flats it may be worth knocking on a few doors and checking what others have got. Does the system work for a start. Then is the dish facing the correct satellite, it may have been moved for foreign stations, I note you can only get an Indian channel. Don't expect an old Sky+HD to record either, you need to subscribe.
You'll be better off buying a Freeview Play box to record and watch multiple TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here