Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How Brighton make wellbeing a key part of performance

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Maybe it's just me but I think I'd find that level of attention to detail quite unnerving if I was a player. It seems a bit creepy to be honest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe it's just me but I think I'd find that level of attention to detail quite unnerving if I was a player. It seems a bit creepy to be honest.

Not really, it seems to be from the David Brailsford school of management. Players get rewarded very well so I don't think they can argue if the club want to ensure they can give their best when they're on the pitch. The other side of it is the wellbeing of the players. There have been a number of suicides in football so if programmes like this can help surely that's a good thing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Perhaps the wellbeing staff could have a few sessions with the moaners in the crowd, you never know we may get more fans actually supporting the team rather than being negative when we pass backwards or lose possession.

Perhaps it’s nerves and their way of letting off steam. It’s not new or restricted to Albion fans.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If you're buying an asset at the Rolls Royce end of the spectrum, you don't just park it out of the street under some trees do you? You look after it and maintain it. No different here

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
If you're buying an asset at the Rolls Royce end of the spectrum, you don't just park it out of the street under some trees do you? You look after it and maintain it. No different here

I think its very different. If you buy a Rolls Royce, its a possesion. We might spend a lot of money on players but we don't own their lives. If somebody wanted to sit up till 2am and tweet or what have you thats up to them. Like I say, if tiy keep tabs on what your employees are doing 24/7 and calling it "wellbeing" just seems a bit creepy to me.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think its very different. If you buy a Rolls Royce, its a possesion. We might spend a lot of money on players but we don't own their lives. If somebody wanted to sit up till 2am and tweet or what have you thats up to them. Like I say, if tiy keep tabs on what your employees are doing 24/7 and calling it "wellbeing" just seems a bit creepy to me.

But it is an asset. If they're up playing Playstation until 3am all the time and this is affecting performances at training or during matches it needs to be looked at. The same as my work, if they saw something on social media from me that was concerning or was concerned about my drinking or whatever, they'd address it.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
But it is an asset. If they're up playing Playstation until 3am all the time and this is affecting performances at training or during matches it needs to be looked at. The same as my work, if they saw something on social media from me that was concerning or was concerned about my drinking or whatever, they'd address it.

I do get what your saying in that we pay them to be in top condition, and I'm sure the club would be concernced if there was an issue. But I just think it would be unnerving having people enquire about things at the level of detail. I'm sure there must be a balance between work taking an interest and coming across all "big brother".

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

On a side note, that is a very good reason to never add work colleagues to your social media accounts. Next time they ask, "Why didnt you accept my friend request?", You can reply, "The thing is I'm a massive p1sshead, and adding you as my friend might compromise my abililty to go out and drink compious amounts of alcohol whenever I feel like it.". Im sure they'll understand :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One day the club will announce something and nobody will be offended.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But it's a two way thing, they get paid a lot of money by the club and they have a responsibility to perform on the pitch and be prepared and ready to perform. If late night twitter or PS4 sessions is affecting that then that needs to be addressed. It would be the same with anyone's job. If you got out on the piss every night and are turning up for work a little worse for wear, doesn't that employer have the right to expect more from you?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I presume all players are banned from using NSC?

Maybe NSC can be used as some kind of immersion therapy to help desensitise players from the inevitable irrational boos, whines, moans and general abuse they are likely to receive when they don’t perform perfectly at real football matches with real crowds (remember them?). Perhaps more important than ever now, as I suspect some of the players are having rather a lovely time at present playing in empty stadiums, and could be in for a shock when the crowds come back.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

I think it depends on what the motivation is to some extent. If a player is called in and told off for tweeting at 2am, then perhaps they would feel the way you are saying, but if they are asked if everything is Ok I would say it's different. Massive difference between care/concern for welfare and being snoopy and judgemental.

The pressure and psychological impact of being a top level competitor in elite sport isn't to be taken lightly. If the outcome of this kind of work is placing the players in the best possible frame of mind for them to live healthy and happy and perform at their very best and achieve their potential, then ultimately it's a good thing and beneficial to everyone, especially the player themselves.

Looking at the squad and the way they are working together, the levels they are playing at, it's clear to me that whatever we are doing, it's working and working well.

They are looked at in this way for no other reason than that they are cared about, as professional footballers, and as people. Nothing wrong with that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One day the club will announce something and nobody will be offended.

Yes, you’re right SB! Can you imagine this headline, “Barber announces surplus PL millions to be paid into each fans bank account”, there’d still be a flood of moaning including, probably, challenges about whether it was legit, or the missing cup final money?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"“What we picked up on was that he was tweeting very late, at 2 or 3am, and that there was something in the messaging that made us wonder whether everything was ok."

Donald? Donald?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, you’re right SB! Can you imagine this headline, “Barber announces surplus PL millions to be paid into each fans bank account”, there’d still be a flood of moaning including, probably, challenges about whether it was legit, or the missing cup final money?

"I've done the maths and we're all 37p short, Barber-Out"
"They can do this, but where's my free shirt that I didn't sign up for"?
"Won't give us our flasks back though, with they".

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Young (or youngish) person stopped from Tweeting late at night? That's outrageous! Human rights awareness courses urgently required!

But it's a two way thing, they get paid a lot of money by the club and they have a responsibility to perform on the pitch and be prepared and ready to perform. If late night twitter or PS4 sessions is affecting that then that needs to be addressed. It would be the same with anyone's job. If you got out on the piss every night and are turning up for work a little worse for wear, doesn't that employer have the right to expect more from you?

Is it possible some people might be missing the point a little? They don't say 'we saw he was tweeting at 2am and wanted to stop it', they say 'we saw what he was tweeting at 2am and became a little worried for him, and found out he was suffering from anxiety, sleep issues and negative emotions and were able to help him deal with those'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here