Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ascension Islands Asylum centre location.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly , makes it all the more sickening to see illegal migrants being housed in hotels at the tax payers expense
The Tory's are skating on thin ice and they know that hence why the ascension island was brought up imho
The Army Barracks seemed a reasonable option but yet again local council not consulted .
All in all it's a melting pot of frustration which can only be fully resolved when we're out of the transition phase
Regards
DF

The transition period ending won’t stop illegal immigrants, refugees or asylum seekers. People getting out of war zones don’t care about borders in their desperation and have been happening foe centuries long before Europe was formed.

How much tax do you pay out of your benefits?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Interesting fact about Ascension Island, is that when one lands on runway, the view looks like a pair of ladies raised knees or other:lol:

P3100128.JPG

Good old days.....

Jan 30, 2008
Also, migrants are nearly always allocated the worst housing. Asylum seekers cannot claim benefits but can get a hardship allowance of £5.66 per day.

I worked on a project for the Refugee Council many years ago. It opened my eyes to a lot of truths that go unreported.

Yet we have our own using food banks :rolleyes:
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
The transition period ending won’t stop illegal immigrants, refugees or asylum seekers. People getting out of war zones don’t care about borders in their desperation and have been happening foe centuries long before Europe was formed.

Hopefully they'll be processed and deported a lot quicker , what are these Benefits you talk about :shrug:
Regards
DF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Also, migrants are nearly always allocated the worst housing. Asylum seekers cannot claim benefits but can get a hardship allowance of £5.66 per day.

I worked on a project for the Refugee Council many years ago. It opened my eyes to a lot of truths that go unreported.

I have heard quite a few things from friends using up their annual leave to help in refugee camps.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Testing the water to see what they can get away with. This and similar ideas will be back when they think the time is right

You’ve more in common with extremists than you think! No offence like.:kiss:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Missed this post while I was replying to the other one. Completely agree.

The best Italian restaurant I know is actually owned and run by an Iranian chef who worked his way up after claiming asylum here and eventually managing to being his wife and kids over.

Just another example of why we SHOULD welcome educated, hard working people who are fleeing a horrific totalitarian regime. Tarring all asylum seekers with the same brush is Farage/Mail idiocy, and blatant xenophobia.

Likewise one of the Italian restaurants in Shoreham, Kurds.

It'll be us running for asylum soon. :rolleyes:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You reference what? 1937/38?
When do you think it began?

History isn’t a point in time. The precursors of crisis are key.
- comparisons with a tolerance of extremism while denying its existence are very real.

Ok, I'll engage. So, let's take the economy for example. In the 20's and early 30s, banks and financial institutions went under on quite a scale, creating an air of instability, and were a major contributory factor to the rise of 'populism' to draw a comparison with some of today's parties. Now, you could argue it's even worse economically today and I'd probably agree. However, we live in a time where - as we've seen in the late noughties and now - government steps in. Moreover, that expectation is also there. So far, they've not let us down. Importantly, a social safety net exists to catch people. People and businesses simply died. Now, people get paid redundancy monies. All very different to the early 20th century.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yet we have our own using food banks :rolleyes:
Regards
DF

I don't think you understand. Asylum Seekers have NO recourse to public funds at all. (Well, maybe £37 a week). They will be piled in unhealthy environments with loads in a single room.

They have only a fraction of what a UK citizen would be offered in a destitute situation. They are not allowed to work either.

I can assure you that life for an asylum seeker is shite. If that's what you are hoping for.

I was at school with the odd refugee/exile in my early years. I learnt much. One was from Chile. Still a friend now. Another from Ghana. We had friends from Sudan.

However much resentment you try to foster on here, I'm sorry, I just can't feel it. Not after my early experiences. I guess it's all about indoctrination and experience.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I love my country deeply, but I don't like xenophobic attitudes towards folk fleeing persecution or wanting a better life.

It's possible to have both viewpoints.

I am on your side in case that wasn't clear.

But we're in the bear pit now, so I'm out!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Precisely this. The solution is to fix homelands and redistribute wealth globally. Ain’t going to happen, so mass migration will continue, accelerated by climate change. We have a lot to be very grateful for here in the UK. I do wonder when it reaches millions crossing the channel illegally what that’s going to trigger. There’s absolutely nothing to prevent it and desperate people do desperate things. Still, Persian cuisine in Dorset gotta be a gap in the market!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Understanding the mindset doesn’t imply any commonality

It’s good to be aware of capacity to I agree, just gotta stay the right side of the thin line into What Iffery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here