Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ascension Islands Asylum centre location.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back before I was married or had kids I wanted to move to Ascension Island as the place caught my imagination. Was nearly impossible to get permission to live there.

To enter Ascension Island, individuals need the Administrator's written permission. There are no permanent residents. A contract of employment is a requirement to stay on the island though short term visits by tourists are possible with prior approval. The British government has confirmed that there is no "right of abode" on Ascension Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_Island#Island_Council

"Yeah, Priti, chuck 'em there. That'll do"

*door closes*

"Stop sniggering Charles, she really will believe anything....."

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
benn.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Don’t confuse asylum seekers with criminals . The highest number of asylum seekers come currently from Iran which is not a very pleasant country to live in especially if you are not down with strict Islamic law . Most Iranian people I have met have been cultured, educated and hard working . It’s not their fault their country is run by ultra religious extremists . I don’t think you will find the Prison population is awash with Iranians .

Missed this post while I was replying to the other one. Completely agree.

The best Italian restaurant I know is actually owned and run by an Iranian chef who worked his way up after claiming asylum here and eventually managing to being his wife and kids over.

Just another example of why we SHOULD welcome educated, hard working people who are fleeing a horrific totalitarian regime. Tarring all asylum seekers with the same brush is Farage/Mail idiocy, and blatant xenophobia.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have become a rather nasty little nation of racists and xenophobia under a government with its clear focus on a facist dictatorship. Sad

Clearly not a view shared by the many refugees and migrants (yes, most people do understand the difference) who decided to risk their lives to get here, or by the thousands more waiting to risk their lives trying.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bit extreme. Ironically...

Funded by extremists (Putin & the press barons) and by special interest groups who are subsequently rewarded
Giving taxpayer money to “friends” for services (repeatedly not provided) without scrutiny or oversight
Passing laws with no debate
Breaking international law
Above the law
Scapegoating minority groups & creating racial hatred
Appointing unelected advisors to undertake key government functions
Controlling media reporting by appointing right wing press barons & their associates to key BBC posts

It’s how Hitler & Mussolini began

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Interesting fact about Ascension Island, is that when one lands on runway, the view looks like a pair of ladies raised knees or other:lol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Clearly not a view shared by the many refugees and migrants (yes, most people do understand the difference) who decided to risk their lives to get here, or by the thousands more waiting to risk their lives trying.

Sadly being shown to be wrong as we gleefully shuffle them off to an interment camp (what is that terminology reminiscent of?) in the middle of the ocean.

“Out of sight out of mind/someone else’s problem”

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Funded by extremists (Putin & the press barons) and by special interest groups who are subsequently rewarded
Giving taxpayer money to “friends” for services (repeatedly not provided) without scrutiny or oversight
Above the law
Controlling media reporting by appointing right wing press barons & their associates to key BBC posts

Shutting down parliament, lying to the Queen. Welcome to the brave new world...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

As it happens I don't fully agree with the comment. The political debate has certainly been degraded and there is a noisy minority of deliberately ignorant xenophobes stirring up hatred of 'others' for their own ends. But I still think the majority of UK citizens are decent, caring and have empathy for those fleeing persecution, war and economic hardship. As has been proven time and again.

However, I am fairly certain that most of those risking their live to get here are not doing so in the hope of a warm welcome and polite conversation. They are desperate (thus 'risking their lives') and they are aiming for the UK in the main because of language, cultural ties and contacts with people already here.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Above the law

Bit more complex than that but I get your point. Still incomparable though. Interestingly, the BBC is constantly accused of left leaning liberalism which i’d agree with. It most certainly isn’t right wing though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sadly being shown to be wrong as we gleefully shuffle them off to an interment camp (what is that terminology reminiscent of?) in the middle of the ocean.

Yes, wrong because a). we're not "a rather nasty little nation of racists and xenophobia," and b). we haven't shuffled anyone off to an internment camp in the middle of the ocean.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bit more complex than that but I get your point. Still incomparable though. Interestingly, the BBC is constantly accused of left leaning liberalism which i’d agree with. It most certainly isn’t right wing though.

There are left leaning programmes and comedy shows, but the news, Question Time, Today on R4, are most definitely right wing. 4 of the 10 directors are Tory appointments.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Direct comparisons are absolute. and a direct reflection of Europe in the 1930’s.
Accusations of the BBC being left leaning are the province of the extreme right and voiced as a means of justifying their taking control.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There are left leaning programmes and comedy shows, but the news, Question Time, Today on R4, are most definitely right wing. 4 of the 10 directors are Tory appointments.

Disagree and just goes to show how subjective opinions of the Beeb are. They’re accused of being too left, right and everything in between.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Yes, wrong because a). we're not "a rather nasty little nation of racists and xenophobia," and b). we haven't shuffled anyone off to an internment camp in the middle of the ocean.

Your opinion is sadly not reflected by the government of the nation, its media and its electoral support.
As for “We haven’t” (yet). Risible when the Home Secretary “has proposed” that we do.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Direct comparisons are absolute. and a direct reflection of Europe in the 1930’s.
Accusations of the BBC being left leaning are the province of the extreme right and voiced as a means of justifying their taking control.

Bit they’re not. They’re just not. We’re nearly a hundred years on from now, the rise of fascism in the early 20th century and the events that preceded them are utterly incomparable to the present. Politically. Socially. Geographically. Even economically. Sure, things aren’t great - that’s comparable. But there are no Pacts of Steel or Jackboots marching around Western Europe, nor anything close to. Sorry, very different times and a mistake to compare directly today with 1920s/30s Europe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Your opinion is sadly not reflected by the government of the nation, its media and its electoral support.
As for “We haven’t” (yet). Risible when the Home Secretary “has proposed” that we do.

You’re really getting worked up by a government brain storm output. That’s what happens in brainstorms, every idea goes down. Most then dismissed. Like this was. It’s not happening. And deemed unworkable. Don’t know why you’re getting so upset about something that isn’t being pursued.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Bit they’re not. They’re just not. We’re nearly a hundred years on from now, the rise of fascism in the early 20th century and the events that preceded them are utterly incomparable to the present. Politically. Socially. Geographically. Even economically. Sure, things aren’t great - that’s comparable. But there are no Pacts of Steel or Jackboots marching around Western Europe, nor anything close to. Sorry, very different times and a mistake to compare directly today with 1920s/30s Europe.

You reference what? 1937/38?
When do you think it began?

History isn’t a point in time. The precursors of crisis are key.
- comparisons with a tolerance of extremism while denying its existence are very real.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
You’re really getting worked up by a government brain storm output. That’s what happens in brainstorms, every idea goes down. Most then dismissed. Like this was. It’s not happening. And deemed unworkable. Don’t know why you’re getting so upset about something that isn’t being pursued.

Testing the water to see what they can get away with. This and similar ideas will be back when they think the time is right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here