Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnson's Brexit - BRINO, or No deal

What will Johnson do ?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I knew Chicken Pasta wouldn’t be able to resist. Still quoting people who have him on ignore. Sublime.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Continually bouncing a thread that you have no interest in and replying to posters who have you on ignore :facepalm:

But back to the subject.

Latest reports on the negotiations are suggesting 'no deal' again whilst still no tarmac laid, staff recruited etc.

This must be getting very exciting for Brexit supporters. 4.5 years after they voted for 'it' and 12 months after they got 'it' they will finally find out what 'it' is :lolol:

Because shirley they will find out what they voted for this time, won't they ???

Tick tock

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because shirley they will find out what they voted for this time, won't they ???

Tick tock

[MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] will be fine, he has the tax payer propping him up.

Jan 30, 2008
Continually bouncing a thread that you have no interest in and replying to posters who have you on ignore :facepalm:

But back to the subject.

Latest reports on the negotiations are suggesting 'no deal' again whilst still no tarmac laid, staff recruited etc.

This must be getting very exciting for Brexit supporters. 4.5 years after they voted for 'it' and 12 months after they got 'it' they will finally find out what 'it' is :lolol:

Tick tock
Still worrying about clouds silly Billy :bigwave:
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Pound sinks as EU bets UK will back down in Brexit talks

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pound-sinks-as-eu-bets-uk-will-back-down-in-brexit-talks-115657683.html

The pound slipped in mid-day trading in London following reports that the European Union is betting that the UK will back down on previous Brexit demands, resulting in the bloc having no plans to offer concessions ahead of next week’s Brexit deadline.

So that looks like me, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] and the EU all now reckon Johnson could U-Turn and go BRINO then. Lucky we hold all the cards :shootself

Tick tock

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if £ fell that indicates traders are nervous of no deal, not BRINO. there was me thinking no news since Johnson and von der Leyen meeting might be positive.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Pound sinks as EU bets UK will back down in Brexit talks

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pound-sinks-as-eu-bets-uk-will-back-down-in-brexit-talks-115657683.html

The pound slipped in mid-day trading in London following reports that the European Union is betting that the UK will back down on previous Brexit demands, resulting in the bloc having no plans to offer concessions ahead of next week’s Brexit deadline.

So that looks like me, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] and the EU all now reckon Johnson could U-Turn and go BRINO then. Lucky we hold all the cards :shootself

Tick tock

:dunce:

Nope.

Read post 16
I have already said I DONT consider BRINO (members of the single market and members of THE EU customs union) as an option that Boris will u-turn and negotiate as our future relationship at all for when the transition period ends. Could not have been clearer.
You carry on dreaming it will happen though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Still no sign of Tarmac and the U-turns begin

February

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/29/boris-johnson-rejects-eu-demands-bind-uk-european-human-rights/

Boris Johnson rejects EU demands to bind UK to European human rights laws

Boris Johnson is preparing to reject EU demands to guarantee that the UK will continue to be bound by European human rights laws once the country becomes fully independent, The Telegraph can disclose.

Today

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8817429/Proposed-Brexit-deal-UK-tied-European-Court-Human-Rights-rulings.html

Proposed Brexit deal ‘would keep the UK tied to European Court of Human Rights rulings’

Britain has moved a step closer to a deal which would keep the country tied to the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights after Brexit, according to reports. Negotiators on the British side are said to be close to clinching the agreement, the reports suggest.

Maybe we should have a poll on what's next ? Level playing field ? ECJ primacy ? Fisheries ? Maybe if we go BRINO in little steps, all the Brexit supporters won't notice. After all, their attention to detail up to now hasn't been great, has it :lolol:

Tick tock

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Still no sign of Tarmac and the U-turns begin

February

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/29/boris-johnson-rejects-eu-demands-bind-uk-european-human-rights/

Boris Johnson rejects EU demands to bind UK to European human rights laws

Boris Johnson is preparing to reject EU demands to guarantee that the UK will continue to be bound by European human rights laws once the country becomes fully independent, The Telegraph can disclose.

Today

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8817429/Proposed-Brexit-deal-UK-tied-European-Court-Human-Rights-rulings.html

Proposed Brexit deal ‘would keep the UK tied to European Court of Human Rights rulings’

Britain has moved a step closer to a deal which would keep the country tied to the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights after Brexit, according to reports. Negotiators on the British side are said to be close to clinching the agreement, the reports suggest.

Maybe we should have a poll on what's next ? Level playing field ? ECJ primacy ? Fisheries ? Maybe if we go BRINO in little steps, all the Brexit supporters won't notice. After all, their attention to detail up to now hasn't been great, has it :lolol:

Tick tock

The plan was to have agreed the deal by September and to end uncertainty about our future relationship so they are failing whatever the outcome

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The plan was to have agreed the deal by September and to end uncertainty about our future relationship so they are failing whatever the outcome

Well let's hope the EU don't notice that we haven't laid any tarmac, recruited any staff or got any systems written and tested for 'no deal' in 12 weeks time, or it could weaken our incredibly strong (they need us more ...., easiest deal..... etc) negotiating position :lolol:

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I saw something in the paper today from the Italian PM, almost pleading with Johnson to do 'the right thing' in the negotiations on Brexit.

This made me acutely aware of how successful the Brexiteers have been in using 'the EU' as a framing device; a convenient entity to direct our national sense of grievance. Of course, Johnson himself was a key proponent of this when he was a journo. And it's so easy to direct our anger at 'Brussels' and forget that essentially the EU is simply the large number of trading partners and allies that comprise it.

But to Johnson and pals this has always been a zero-sum game - we can only win if they lose. I happen to think that all parties will lose, including us and the evidence is that this is the case, certainly in the short and medium terms. Indeed we'll be the biggest loser, which just adds to the lunacy of the project.

I think this explains why fishing is so symbolically important to the Brexiteers. For here is one very clear example where it is easy to frame as a win/lose scenario - after all, there's only X number of fish and either we get them or Johnny foreigner does. How nice and simple. Now try mapping that across to financial services and manufacturing and its supply chains, frictionless trade and the collective weight of so many countries negotiating world trade terms.

The utter pointlessness of the Brexit exercise, the dreadful window it gives on a certain type of Britishness and the vile propagators of the whole shambles all add up to a bleak picture. And all for what purpose?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well let's hope the EU don't notice that we haven't laid any tarmac, recruited any staff or got any systems written and tested for 'no deal' in 12 weeks time, or it could weaken our incredibly strong (they need us more ...., easiest deal..... etc) negotiating position :lolol:

What happened to Gove's light touch border idea, you know zero tariffs on EU imports to stop us all from starving?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What happened to Gove's light touch border idea, you know zero tariffs on EU imports to stop us all from starving?
The problem with that was the lorries are on an in-out-in-out-... carousel with goods travelling each way.

If they get stuck parked in Kent for days on the way out then they are not bringing the goods back in. If they sail through to Europe empty then the costs of that in lost revenue have to be paid by some mugs over here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw something in the paper today from the Italian PM, almost pleading with Johnson to do 'the right thing' in the negotiations on Brexit.

This made me acutely aware of how successful the Brexiteers have been in using 'the EU' as a framing device; a convenient entity to direct our national sense of grievance. Of course, Johnson himself was a key proponent of this when he was a journo. And it's so easy to direct our anger at 'Brussels' and forget that essentially the EU is simply the large number of trading partners and allies that comprise it.

But to Johnson and pals this has always been a zero-sum game - we can only win if they lose. I happen to think that all parties will lose, including us and the evidence is that this is the case, certainly in the short and medium terms. Indeed we'll be the biggest loser, which just adds to the lunacy of the project.

I think this explains why fishing is so symbolically important to the Brexiteers. For here is one very clear example where it is easy to frame as a win/lose scenario - after all, there's only X number of fish and either we get them or Johnny foreigner does. How nice and simple. Now try mapping that across to financial services and manufacturing and its supply chains, frictionless trade and the collective weight of so many countries negotiating world trade terms.

The utter pointlessness of the Brexit exercise, the dreadful window it gives on a certain type of Britishness and the vile propagators of the whole shambles all add up to a bleak picture. And all for what purpose?

Good post. A mate of mine, bit of a character, was all in favour of Brexit because he'd bought the trope about red tape (not actually believing the sqare apple and straight banana bollocks, but nevertheless angry about 'unelected officials'). He is now rather sheepish about his former stance and can't see anything beyond things getting much worse once we have left (and we don't leave till the end of the year, I should mention, in case some thicko I have on ignore bleats that we have already left).

Unless my pension is snatched I'll be personally fine after Brexit so I'm not arguing from self interest. Given Boris never favoured Brexit till he decided it would suit his ambitions to back 'leave', and given that he realised correctly that the only way to leave would be without a deal (because no rational person in any negotiation 'task force' could square the circle) and let circumstances set the new arrangements, much as Das Reich has always argued in his minimalist grunty fashion, I can only assume that Boris sees Covid as the equivalent as a good splash of Brut aftershave after a massive fart (in the hope it will cover the embarrassment). The effectiveness depends on how long we find ourselves embarrassed of course.

Even if I were as venal and unscrupulous as Boris I'd nevertheless be thinking that Covid means it may be best to kick the Brexit can down the road yet again, despite having painted himself into a corner over deadlines. The EU have a history of backtracking so regardless of what they have said they may well agree to an indefinite extension of the status quo till Covid is finally controlled. If asked.

Alternatively Boris could go bold and open up the country to 'normality' with all efforts focused on protecting the old and others at risk of death from Covid. That would be the smart move. Kick start the economy before the rest of Europe, making us strong when we leave with no deal at the end of the year, hastening real lasting deals that favour our position.

However, sadly for us, he has dithered like the craven fool he is, and now it is too late. Too late to do a Covid U turn and be innovative, decisive and leader-ish. Instead he is simply hoping for the best, introducing new almost random restrictions while mumbling about the need to get back to normal for the sake of the economy. What a cluster****. But who expected any better from this clown? Only people I have on ignore, it would seem as I can't remember the last time I read something favourable about Boris. Even JCFG has vanished. :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good post. A mate of mine, bit of a character, was all in favour of Brexit because he'd bought the trope about red tape (not actually believing the sqare apple and straight banana bollocks, but nevertheless angry about 'unelected officials'). He is now rather sheepish about his former stance and can't see anything beyond things getting much worse once we have left (and we don't leave till the end of the year, I should mention, in case some thicko I have on ignore bleats that we have already left).

Unless my pension is snatched I'll be personally fine after Brexit so I'm not arguing from self interest. Given Boris never favoured Brexit till he decided it would suit his ambitions to back 'leave', and given that he realised correctly that the only way to leave would be without a deal (because no rational person in any negotiation 'task force' could square the circle) and let circumstances set the new arrangements, much as Das Reich has always argued in his minimalist grunty fashion, I can only assume that Boris sees Covid as the equivalent as a good splash of Brut aftershave after a massive fart (in the hope it will cover the embarrassment). The effectiveness depends on how long we find ourselves embarrassed of course.

Even if I were as venal and unscrupulous as Boris I'd nevertheless be thinking that Covid means it may be best to kick the Brexit can down the road yet again, despite having painted himself into a corner over deadlines. The EU have a history of backtracking so regardless of what they have said they may well agree to an indefinite extension of the status quo till Covid is finally controlled. If asked.

Alternatively Boris could go bold and open up the country to 'normality' with all efforts focused on protecting the old and others at risk of death from Covid. That would be the smart move. Kick start the economy before the rest of Europe, making us strong when we leave with no deal at the end of the year, hastening real lasting deals that favour our position.

However, sadly for us, he has dithered like the craven fool he is, and now it is too late. Too late to do a Covid U turn and be innovative, decisive and leader-ish. Instead he is simply hoping for the best, introducing new almost random restrictions while mumbling about the need to get back to normal for the sake of the economy. What a cluster****. But who expected any better from this clown? Only people I have on ignore, it would seem as I can't remember the last time I read something favourable about Boris. Even JCFG has vanished. :shrug:
Pretty accurate summation HWT. I can see the EU ( The arch manipulators, governors by decree, unelected etc etc) saying something along the lines of " This Covid shit is crap for all of us, but, even worse for you Brits, so, as its going to be so much worse for you than for us, we will extend the transition period for a year while you get your shit together.... FOC "..... Will Johnson take the offered hand though? He will have to turn it down though because " Brexit means Brexit "

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here