Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do Albion have any "Lame Duck" players?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The start of an article from The Athletic today (this piece was freely distributed in an email today, the remainder is behind the paywall)...

Why clubs are struggling to sell ‘lame duck’ players

For executives up and down the country, there is never an easy time to sell a player who has fallen out of favour but this summer the task became a whole lot harder than usual.

Previously, fringe players could still get moves despite missing out on regular football. “Stocking fillers,” one leading agent calls them. Managers looking to pad out squads could take a chance on a signing if the price was right.

But tightened finances and the increased frequency of matches mean clubs can no longer afford to risk buying a gift that doesn’t work, no matter how low the cost.

“The market is saying, ‘If you’ve not played or had unsuccessful loans, you aren’t getting a new club’,” the agent adds. “There are no stocking fillers anymore.”

Players fitting that description can be found at nearly every club in the Premier League. They have provided meaningful contributions in the past but are now stuck on the sidelines due to a change in circumstances and, usually, are earning the kind of wages that make departures complicated.

At Arsenal, for example, there are Matteo Guendouzi, Lucas Torreira and Mesut Ozil. Danny Rose firmly occupies that category for Tottenham Hotspur, with team-mate Dele Alli in danger of heading the same way. Chelsea have Danny Drinkwater, Tiemoue Bakayoko and, soon, Kepa Arrizabalaga on the books but out of the picture.

Manchester United have a glut, chiefly Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Andreas Pereira, Sergio Romero and Diogo Dalot. At Liverpool, Xherdan Shaqiri could be put in the same bracket. Manchester City? Oleksandr Zinchenko.

The issue is no different outside the division’s elite.​

It strkes me the Albion have been very efficient, almost ruthless, in getting ride of "lame ducks" over the last 12-18 months although what happens to some of the senior players out on loan - Locadia, Duffy, Clarke may determine that and we still have Florin Andone lingering about like a bad smell too.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not sure if Bernardo falls in this category. All seems to have gone quiet on him leaving but think it's fair to say GPotz doesn't rate him as a regular starter.

On another note, I'd be up for us going in for Zinchenko if City are desperate to ship him out. He definitely has the ability and versatility to be a 'Potter player' IMO.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I honestly can't think of anyone we have now that fills that category. If the question was asked 6-12 months ago then we'd argue about Montoya, Andone, Locadia, Ali J but we've got rid of 2 of them, one is injured and the other is beginning to become an important member of the squad.

I would say the only two we could poss put into that category would be Andone, and poss Bernardo? But even he still gets game time, so....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well, we seem to be picking up other teams’ lame ducks - Leeds’ Ben White, and Frank Lampard’s Chelsea’s Tariq Lamptey, as only the most recent examples. When will we stop being the PL’s whipping boys?

Seriously? Andone is about the only one, isn’t he?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I read the article this morning too and was trying to think and I struggled. The club have done a great job in this respect of moving players on and TB's long term strategy of building from within looks increasingly astute given Covid and Brexit.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
The start of an article from The Athletic today (this piece was freely distributed in an email today, the remainder is behind the paywall)...

For executives up and down the country, there is never an easy time to sell a player who has fallen out of favour but this summer the task became a whole lot harder than usual.

Previously, fringe players could still get moves despite missing out on regular football. “Stocking fillers,” one leading agent calls them. Managers looking to pad out squads could take a chance on a signing if the price was right.

But tightened finances and the increased frequency of matches mean clubs can no longer afford to risk buying a gift that doesn’t work, no matter how low the cost.

“The market is saying, ‘If you’ve not played or had unsuccessful loans, you aren’t getting a new club’,” the agent adds. “There are no stocking fillers anymore.”

Players fitting that description can be found at nearly every club in the Premier League. They have provided meaningful contributions in the past but are now stuck on the sidelines due to a change in circumstances and, usually, are earning the kind of wages that make departures complicated.

At Arsenal, for example, there are Matteo Guendouzi, Lucas Torreira and Mesut Ozil. Danny Rose firmly occupies that category for Tottenham Hotspur, with team-mate Dele Alli in danger of heading the same way. Chelsea have Danny Drinkwater, Tiemoue Bakayoko and, soon, Kepa Arrizabalaga on the books but out of the picture.

Manchester United have a glut, chiefly Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Andreas Pereira, Sergio Romero and Diogo Dalot. At Liverpool, Xherdan Shaqiri could be put in the same bracket. Manchester City? Oleksandr Zinchenko.

It strkes me the Albion have been very efficient, almost ruthless, in getting ride of "lame ducks" over the last 12-18 months although what happens to some of the senior players out on loan - Locadia, Duffy, Clarke may determine that and we still have Florin Andone lingering about like a bad smell too.

By Lame Duck i'm assuming you mean somebody wasting everybody's time just being there. Matt Clarke is one for the future definitely was not a lame duck, Shane Duffy is one of the best players we've ever had so harsh naming him. Locadia probably the only one, Izquierdo maybe because he's been rendered useless for a while through injury hopefully he can come back from. Andone is a strange one, probably him.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Locadia certainly fits the bill. Expensively acquired, not good enough, big wages. Ali J must be a candidate too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
By Lame Duck i'm assuming you mean somebody wasting everybody's time just being there. Matt Clarke is one for the future definitely was not a lame duck, Shane Duffy is one of the best players we've ever had so harsh naming him. Locadia probably the only one, Izquierdo maybe because he's been rendered useless for a while through injury hopefully he can come back from. Andone is a strange one, probably him.

It's got nothing to do with my definition, as that is given in the text you quote...

"a player who has fallen out of favour "

"not played or had unsuccessful loans"

In your example, Shane Duffy meets that criteria - he's fallen out of favour and wasn't playing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
At the start of the season I'd have said Jahanbakhsh, given his performances for the club, but he's looked sharper and livelier in the games I've seen him in this season than he has fir a very long time so I won't add him.

Maybe Christian Walton?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, I think we’re well managed. The last player with little value compared to his purchase price and on PL wages .... Locadia.

Everton too have some highly paid and expensive players who’ve not yet met the heights expected by Ancelotti - Walcott, M.Keane, Iwobi, Delph, Bolaise, Tosun, Besic, Sandro, Gbamin.

Costing £200m?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
It's got nothing to do with my definition, as that is given in the text you quote...

"a player who has fallen out of favour "

"not played or had unsuccessful loans"

In your example, Shane Duffy meets that criteria - he's fallen out of favour and wasn't playing.

Fallen out of favour yes. Has still played under Potter though and his current loan spell seems to be going okay. "Lame Duck" is a term I've never heard before just assumed it meant for a disruptive player, my bad.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Think Clarke was probably viewed as one for the future and might be in the squad if White hadn’t developed.

Murray, Duffy & Stephens the most recent to have been successfully moved on although only one of those “sold”
Bernardo surely qualifies?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure if Bernardo falls in this category. All seems to have gone quiet on him leaving but think it's fair to say GPotz doesn't rate him as a regular starter.

On another note, I'd be up for us going in for Zinchenko if City are desperate to ship him out. He definitely has the ability and versatility to be a 'Potter player' IMO.
The term "Lame duck" is a poor choice of words, almost insulting, but Bernardo does fit into the category they are talking about.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Locadia certainly fits the bill. Expensively acquired, not good enough, big wages. Ali J must be a candidate too.

Locadia a definite yes, but Ali J, absolutely not a lame duck, he may have been slow off the mark or not up to the speed of the Premier League, but he has always tried and you can see he has class and skill in abundance, and we are only now starting to see that come to fruition, he is a slow burner and I am sure his star will burn brightly this year...

Lame duck, never.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Putting Bernie Inn that category is a bit of a reach, it's all about timing.

After tonight's game transfer watchers are in for a busy week as half that squad are jettisoned out to pastures new.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It strikes me, as we've seen in the last 3 weeks, that to be a succesful PL side and compete in all competitions you need effectively 2 teams, we can't have much in the way of lame ducks if we've loaned out Duffy and Murray and sold Montoya & Stephens . All of who'm are proven at PL level. Andone is arguably PL standard but A injured and still 'at risk' due to the NDP.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Locadia a definite yes, but Ali J, absolutely not a lame duck, he may have been slow off the mark or not up to the speed of the Premier League, but he has always tried and you can see he has class and skill in abundance, and we are only now starting to see that come to fruition, he is a slow burner and I am sure his star will burn brightly this year...

Lame duck, never.

Bang on. :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Unless you know something the rest of us don't (which is, of course, more than possible, you tinker) you spoiled that interesting post with the bit at the end :shrug:

p93284.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here