Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Back Spasm - Ouch!

el punal

Yesterday I suffered this while putting my socks on. Anyways, managed to stand up and take a few steps. Mrs.Punal offered me great encouragement by stating that I walked as if I’d shat myself - full of sympathy is Lady P. The main thing is getting up from a sitting position and bending down to pick something up.

So, have any of you bright sparks got any recommendations to alleviate this problem. Anything realistic, medical, hilarious or out of this world would be greatly appreciated. I theng yew! :cheers:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ice packs; rest; no sudden movements; be careful when twisting.

When recovered - focus on improving core strength, Pilates works for me.

Good luck!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My back was so bad in the mornings I would throw my sock on the floor and hope it would somehow work it's way onto my foot. I can recommend working on your stomach muscles which will help your back long term. I now play badminton without any problems. Many people told me afterwards that stomach muscles help bad backs. No one told me before I had worked that out.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am suffering again just now too, it happens every 2 or 3 years and lasts a few weeks then gets better as long as I rest it as much as possible. Ironic, but the previous time I had back problems happened during a yoga class - which I was doing to strengthen my core to help my back!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Because an osteopath is all you need for the back. If it's not better within 3 - 5 sessions they refer you on unlike a chiropractor who will take your money for as long as you are willing to pay..

Many find comfort, solace and relief via pilates or yoga. Stick on a DVD, find your core or your vrikshasana and Bob's your uncle.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sleep with a pillow under/behind your knees while the problem persists. Having your legs supported in this way relieves some of the pressure on your back. Also (if you are permitted) hog the whole sofa and lie across it rather than sit on it. Lie with your knees slightly bent rather than stretched out.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Try lying down on your back and gently pulling you legs up towards your chin and hold. This flattens the spine against the floor and offered me some relief when I suffered this problem.

Good news is that spasms ease off but do recur if there is an underlying spinal problem.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Before you move, engage your core. Even with poor core strength you can still improve your back health by engaging (as the girls are told to do) your pelvic floor.

To engage pelvic floor - imagine you're busting for a piss but squeeze to stop it. Also, when you've manged to move, concentrate on drawing your stomach up and in (Yoga/Pilates moves).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have suffered with back spasms for years on and off. For those that wonder how it manifests, the muscles just tighten and tighten over a number of hours until you are almost immobile. If you do try to move you end up screaming out in pain. It has nothing to do with your spine, or individual vertebra, just muscles.

In hindsight it normally gets worse with me when I am at my least fit, lockdown here doesn’t help right now. The slightest thing can start it off, just getting out of a car for instance. Anti inflammatory painkillers do help, pills or creams, and rest of course. But when a big episode strikes, hopefully only once every two or three years, there is only one thing that sorts me out, Diazapan (sp). Only takes a couple of pills to start relaxing the muscles in about thirty mins, and then just a couple more over the next 24 hours. I hate the bloody things as they send me loopy and only use them for as short as period as possible.

But to be honest, I would rather have this than ongoing spine issues, or other more serious health problems.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Heat pack on the lowerback and just rest on the bed face up, trying not to move. Naproxen or Iboprofen too to reduce the inflammation. It happens to me every 6-12 months too, comes from flying helicopters a lot. If you catch it early I find I can normally get back to almost normal in about half to a day.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I have suffered with back spasms for years on and off. For those that wonder how it manifests, the muscles just tighten and tighten over a number of hours until you are almost immobile. If you do try to move you end up screaming out in pain. It has nothing to do with your spine, or individual vertebra, just muscles.

In hindsight it normally gets worse with me when I am at my least fit, lockdown here doesn’t help right now. The slightest thing can start it off, just getting out of a car for instance. Anti inflammatory painkillers do help, pills or creams, and rest of course. But when a big episode strikes, hopefully only once every two or three years, there is only one thing that sorts me out, Diazapan (sp). Only takes a couple of pills to start relaxing the muscles in about thirty mins, and then just a couple more over the next 24 hours. I hate the bloody things as they send me loopy and only use them for as short as period as possible.

But to be honest, I would rather have this than ongoing spine issues, or other more serious health problems.

Thanks for all that info, i have had back spasms for years (and my wife is suffering at this very moment.) I have always thought they were caused by trapped nerves. The pain when they are ' trapped ' is quite severe. After a couple of days the pain subsides but leave you with a bruised feeling in the area of back affected. I used to think laying flat and motionless was the remedy and although if you dont move usually you can keep relatively pain free, the drawback being it takes longer to subside. The only real remedy for me is to gently walk abot to ease the trapped nerve.
Now you have explained the condition in your last post i am confused if it is trapped nerves and is the condition you describe.

Kind regards

Confused ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here