Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any charities or whatever who'll take a wheelchair/walker/zimmer?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
My mum passed away recently and as part of clearing her house, I've got a folding wheelchair (all four wheels are small), a wheeled walker, and a zimmer frame. I'm really reluctant to take them to the tip to get rid of... could anyone here make use of them, OR know a charity or whatever who would be keen for them? They are all in great condition.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sorry for your loss. Sad time.
Martlets took some of our stuff when the in laws passed away. They can either flog it or use in the hospice.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Sorry for your loss. Sad time.
Martlets took some of our stuff when the in laws passed away. They can either flog it or use in the hospice.

Many thanks - appreciate the kind words.

Thanks too for the tip re: the Martlets. I've contacted them, but in case they won't take any of the items, does anyone else have any other possibilities please?

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure Freecycle would be a good place to put these if Martlets don't want them.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
CPFC2010 could use that kit for a dementia riddled scraggy haired OAP and a lame centre forward.

Great gesture [MENTION=23342]dolphins[/MENTION] and I hope it isn't too upsetting.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In a similar situation, I took them to British Red Cross, St Jospeh's close, Hove (Off Old Shoreham road - Turn at lights, as if going to Homebase, Carpetwright etc and then next left past their carpark).

They then hire/lend them out :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We gave my mother-in-law's wheelchair/zimmer away on a facebook free group.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
In a similar situation, I took them to British Red Cross, St Jospeh's close, Hove (Off Old Shoreham road - Turn at lights, as if going to Homebase, Carpetwright etc and then next left past their carpark).

They then hire/lend them out :thumbsup:
Did you need to contact them beforehand, or did you just turn up there? Obvs in these Covid times things might be slightly different anyway... Martlets have said that they'll take the chair and the walker for their shop, but not the zimmer.

Really appreciating everyone's helpful suggestions! :cheers:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did you need to contact them beforehand, or did you just turn up there? Obvs in these Covid times things might be slightly different anyway... Martlets have said that they'll take the chair and the walker for their shop, but not the zimmer.

Really appreciating everyone's helpful suggestions! :cheers:

I just went there, during the day. They said the person who deals with them wasn't in that day, but took them in anyway for when they were next there. I had actually hired a wheelchair from them in the past. (When I say hired, I think it was a donation)

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Ah, I get you now! Yes, saw that thread earlier while sitting here thinking about the tweak in my own back... I'll send him a PM.:lolol:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just an update should anyone be in a similar position, having mobility equipment to pass on: the British Red Cross picked up all three things this morning (transit wheelchair, zimmer and walker) and were hugely grateful. The wheeled walker in particular (a bit like a folding Zimmer, with a seat for when the user gets tired) they said they get through about 25-30 a week!

Their number is 0300 456 1914, and the local depot is based in Crawley. They seem very happy to pick things up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here