Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton Boys team?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My son just had a trial for the Brighton Boys team; that's the team made up of kids at schools from across Brighton and Hove. Was curious how many NSC'ers played for them when they were young and any tales from those days. Also there's Sussex Boys too isn't there? I'm atrocious at football and was always last one picked for teams at school so I definitely didn't get trials for that sort fo thing.

*Edit* Just a note to say the team is actually called Brighton and Hove District Schools FA (whatever the age group is) but absolutely everyone calls it Brighton Boys.

Last edited:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I played in 1973-74, they used to play South London Boys in the George Weedon Trophy at the Goldstone in September.

Kevin Foreman, Trevor Dove, Mark Richardson, those that I remember.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Back in the early 60s I’d go to the Goldstone to watch them play - kids from Goldstone Juniors may have been playing. It was the George Weedon Trophy back then (no relation to Bert). As was the case in those days, 22 rugrats running round one of the biggest pitches in the country!
I think I still might have a couple of programmes stashed away - folded A4 (or whatever the sizing was then), with a drawing and sometimes hand coloured at a local junior school.
They used to have a Brighton v Hove match and select the best for a combined team to play South London boys. Jumpers for goalposts! Eh, what?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Well done to your lad for getting offered a trial, but read the small print. My son trialled a couple of years back. Turns out they are in the Kent League. My lad didn’t make the cut but his two mates who did turned it down. Who wants to be driving an 11 year old to Maidstone every other weekend? My mates daughter got into Brighton Girls U11 last season and he missed two home games because he was stuck on the M25 after a morning kick off.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think my uncle played for them in the mid 70s once or twice. Might even have been sent off!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I played in 1973-74, they used to play South London Boys in the George Weedon Trophy at the Goldstone in September.

Kevin Foreman, Trevor Dove, Mark Richardson, those that I remember.
Trevor was a decent player

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
1984 - 85 Managed by Andy Marchant & ? Tregear. Played at the Goldstone and sat on the bench at Ninian Park. Good team - included John Robinson, who played my position, hence the bench :-(

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well done to your lad for getting offered a trial, but read the small print. My son trialled a couple of years back. Turns out they are in the Kent League. My lad didn’t make the cut but his two mates who did turned it down. Who wants to be driving an 11 year old to Maidstone every other weekend? My mates daughter got into Brighton Girls U11 last season and he missed two home games because he was stuck on the M25 after a morning kick off.

The other part they don’t mention is the boys pay subs to play. Not a fortune but could imagine some might have a trouble paying. My boy plays at a high level already and we’re round the M25 every other Sunday anyway so a few more miles on the clock is no big deal.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes, I was in the squad under Tony Geerts (Patcham) in the 70s and Dave Elling (Varndean) later. Great fun and was a real honour to be selected - less so nowadays as kids seem to give priority to their Sunday teams.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Yes I was proud to represent Brighton Boy's Juniors back in 1957. Along with Geoff Humphries and Nicki Shieldcamp we were part of Patcham Juniors selected to play. 3 games as I remember, home and away against Portsmouth and home against Hastings. Photos attached (I hope!), I'm 'keeper, Geoff Humphries to my left, Nicki Shieldcamp to the right of the 'Patcham' boys, plus a team photo. Tony Geerts on the left - of course.

Edit; sorry. photos not attaching

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I played for Worthing boys in about 73 against Brighton losing 3-1. I got played at right half even though I was a centre forward.

I slipped through that net.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
1984 - 85 Managed by Andy Marchant & ? Tregear. Played at the Goldstone and sat on the bench at Ninian Park. Good team - included John Robinson, who played my position, hence the bench :-(

I think we probably know each other.

Robbo and Jack Dineen era.

I remember the coach trip up to Ninian like yesterday.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
My old headmaster bless him.

I remember we were playing against Patcham on those Ladies Mile pitches. I was moaning about being fouled or something, eventually Tony, who was reffing, called me over.

'What's your name son?'

'Why, what have I done, they've been kicking me all game'?

'I'd like you to come along to BB trials, here on Saturday'

'Ah, Ok then'.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Yes I was proud to represent Brighton Boy's Juniors back in 1957. Along with Geoff Humphries and Nicki Shieldcamp we were part of Patcham Juniors selected to play. 3 games as I remember, home and away against Portsmouth and home against Hastings. Photos attached (I hope!), I'm 'keeper, Geoff Humphries to my left, Nicki Shieldcamp to the right of the 'Patcham' boys, plus a team photo. Tony Geerts on the left - of course.

Edit; sorry. photos not attaching

Nick Schildcamp was an inspirational PE teacher at Falmer in the 70s and used to take his son when young in the North Stand. Top bloke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here