Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Film Remakes with more BAME representation

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think you are being overly generous and looking at the pathetic response from [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] it is clear that he had no intention in making some clever link to the message in the film.

Anyone linking their suggestion that Planet of the Apes could do with more black actors knows exactly what they are doing. It maybe that he/she sees it as humour. It's not humour, it's hatred and it's what we are supposed to be trying to stamp out.

The retort that I am being a flake couldn't be further from the truth. You don't flake when you see this, you call it out and if zefarelly had any character he/she would now apologise for any offence intended and explain what was meant.

Words aren't just silly comments. They carry meaning.

Point of order here. What colour were the actors playing the apes? And would it matter, considering they were all - how shall we put it - aped up? Hopefully in the cause of equal opportunities there was a good representation of BAME actors behind the masks!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In fairness, I have always considered PotA an allegory on racism. If one looks critically at the original PotA series, in the first film, the possible strong female character (Stewart) is killed off before they land and the sole black character (Landon) is captured and lobotomised. After that, only ultra whitey Charlton Heston can save the day. And doesn't. Scope for change in a remake with a strong BAME character playing the lead?

And in the fourth film of the series, the only sympathetic human characters are Mexican Ricardo Montalban's Armando and African American Hari Rhodes as Macdonald. A role reprised by Trinidadian Austin Stoker in the final film. Both characters promote inter species harmony.

Hari Rhodes wrote, in response to the racism he experienced as a black actor, an unpublished novel, Harambee, about a plot to exterminate the world's caucasian population.

See how tricky this stuff can get...

I'm well aware of the original film, although haven't seen it in years, it made a big impression when I first saw it as a kid . . . . Ginger ape particularly struck a chord! . . . . Shoot from the hip tongue in cheek isn't fashionable this week.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think you are being overly generous and looking at the pathetic response from [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] it is clear that he had no intention in making some clever link to the message in the film.

Anyone linking their suggestion that Planet of the Apes could do with more black actors knows exactly what they are doing. It maybe that he/she sees it as humour. It's not humour, it's hatred and it's what we are supposed to be trying to stamp out.

The retort that I am being a flake couldn't be further from the truth. You don't flake when you see this, you call it out and if zefarelly had any character he/she would now apologise for any offence intended and explain what was meant.

Words aren't just silly comments. They carry meaning.

Try understanding SATIRE & COMEDY.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
So black people can't be middle class and sophisticated?

Of course they can be , I wasn’t suggesting that . What I was saying was that the character as written by Ian Fleming was clearly a white middle class sophisticated man . Clearly the creator of bond was basing bond on someone he knew or felt he knew .

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It really doesn't matter what Flemming originally intended as the development of the character has gone way beyond what Flemming's books covered. Felix Lighter was white, but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference that in the Daniel Craig era, he is played by Jeffery Wright.

If one is to say Flemming wrote Bond as white only and you have to strictly adhere to his writing, how on earth do you justify Bond being set in any era other than 1951 - 1964? Any time frame Bond appears in after 1964 isn't covered by Flemming, so is already an interpretation of how the character would be in the modern world, unless Bond should really be cast as a white geriatric if the film is set in today's world?

His background arc revolves around him being half Scottish and half Swiss and having an ancestral home in Scotland. His ancestry is Caucasian.

007 can be anyone, James Bond however should never be compromised for some lazy re-writing of the character.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Try understanding SATIRE & COMEDY.

There was nothing comedic or satirical about what you wrote. If [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and co are happy about this type of behaviour on the board then I'm ashamed of NSC.

This is the club whose supporters were up in arms at Burnley when Bong called out racism on the pitch. We should be calling it out in our own chatrooms as well.

It's clear from your response that you were in no way trying to make some intellectual link to the film. You were trying to make a comic point with no due thought for the impact of those words.

Know when to back down and apologise for your comments. If no harm was intended, then admit that with humility.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
His background arc revolves around him being half Scottish and half Swiss and having an ancestral home in Scotland. His ancestry is Caucasian.

007 can be anyone, James Bond however should never be compromised for some lazy re-writing of the character.

If he's Caucasian, he has migrated an awful long way if he is now half Scottish and half Swiss. Yay for immigration.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

His date of birth from his 'background arc' is likely 1917. I think there has already been more than a fair amount of compromise. In the novels (not that I expect many entrenched in him having to be white have read) his mid 30s with retirement at 45. Connery was 53 when he last played Bond, Moore started his run at 45, so again completely out of kilter with the books.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There was nothing comedic or satirical about what you wrote. If [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and co are happy about this type of behaviour on the board then I'm ashamed of NSC.

This is the club whose supporters were up in arms at Burnley when Bong called out racism on the pitch. We should be calling it out in our own chatrooms as well.

It's clear from your response that you were in no way trying to make some intellectual link to the film. You were trying to make a comic point with no due thought for the impact of those words.

Know when to back down and apologise for your comments. If no harm was intended, then admit that with humility.

Don’t let this ruin your day H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

No harm was intended, It wasn't meant in any way to be anythiong more than a satirical comment based on the fact we're all Apes and the diversirty was within them in the original film not the humans. ( as I said it's been decades since I saw the film, but I am well aware of its message)

Nothing to apologise for IMO. It's not my problem your comedic tolerance was more at the Mary Whitehouse end of the scale.

I see absolutely zero connection between my original post and anything racist as you are trying to slur me with, I will and do take offence at that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would give anything to see a shot-for-shot remake of Home Alone 2 where the only BAME representation increase is a black guy replacing Trump

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
If he's Caucasian, he has migrated an awful long way if he is now half Scottish and half Swiss. Yay for immigration.

He’s a European and thus white. His dad was Scots who liked skiing and who met the future Mrs Bond on the slopes in Switzerland.

The Scots bit was added by Fleming when Sean Connery was cast in the films.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
His date of birth from his 'background arc' is likely 1917. I think there has already been more than a fair amount of compromise. In the novels (not that I expect many entrenched in him having to be white have read) his mid 30s with retirement at 45. Connery was 53 when he last played Bond, Moore started his run at 45, so again completely out of kilter with the books.

Age is a different concept to colour though.

James Bond is a middle aged white guy. There seems very little financial sense in changing this as you'll lose more Bond fans than you'll gain.

The Asian market would react very poorly to changing Bond to a black actor. Just seems like it would be a bad financial decision.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Fleming actually altered his date of birth in later books (Thunderball I think, on his medical records) to keep him Jack Benny-style as a perpetual thirty-something.

I’d say Lazenby was the best match for James Bond.

Do you think Ian Fleming, Bond’s creator, would mind him being played by someone not white?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry this has passed me by.

Has there been a move to specifically cast BAME actors because the role was incorrectly cast with white actors.
Or are we just seeing a continuation of casting directors becoming less narrow minded in their selections?

BAME actors playing roles previously made famous by white actors is nothing new.
Odd that you see it as a recent development set to "snowball".

The OP is fishing. He already has had some tiddlers biting, I see.

Clearly it is unreasonable to cast a whole movie with white actors like in the 40s, 50s, er, 60s, 70s, er, oh then we had Eddie Murphy so that's all right then. Clearly if anyone decides to remake historical items with characters that factually didn't exist, that would be rather silly, albeit no more silly than the otherwise excellent Robin Hood, with Costener portraying Robin in an American accent.

I think the OP is hoping the likes of Das Reich will pop up and tell us that 'next the'll make Snow White black; political correctness gone mad'. Except, of course, without the correct use of a semicolon or, indeed, any correct punctuation at all.

Anyway, all the best to the irritable old white men who feel the need to signal their 'unconscious' racism, yet again :thumbsup:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Erm, only some supporters were up in arms about the Bong incident..........ironically just like this issue here on this thread some are making more of the issue than others.

It’s kind of like a difference between uptight puritans and relaxed hedonists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here