Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Film Remakes with more BAME representation

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
We've already had in the past few months announcements of remakes of films with BAME actors taking the place of roles previously played by whites. Peter Pan, Little Mermaid and Planes, Trains and Automobiles to name but 3, and this trend is set to snowball in the coming months and years. So which films from the past you may have vowed as classics but by today's standards were racist would you like to see remade with more BAME representation, and furthermore which BAMEs would you like to play said roles??

My starter for 10 is Who Framed Roger Rabbit with Maya JAMA playing Jessica Rabbit. Over to you....

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This thread isn't going to end well is it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Rocky played by The Rock, Apollo Creed played by Chris Hemsley.

I'd also like The Hulk in the next film to be purple.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry this has passed me by.

Has there been a move to specifically cast BAME actors because the role was incorrectly cast with white actors.
Or are we just seeing a continuation of casting directors becoming less narrow minded in their selections?

BAME actors playing roles previously made famous by white actors is nothing new.
Odd that you see it as a recent development set to "snowball".

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Honky.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Zulu, relocated to Swindon, with a gospel choir from Croydon defending the 'Magic Roundabout' against the inhabitants of the local council estate.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Khartoum and Othello with Laurence Olivier "blackened up". Apace which stared Burt Lancaster. The Conqueror with John Wayne as Genghis Kahn.
I am sure there are many others.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I usually hate yellow face in films. I couldn't care less if it's racist; it just looks ridiculous most of the time and spoils the film. Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's is a prime example.

I can think of one occasion when it worked: Joel Grey in Remo Williams: the Adventure Begins (aka Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous).

Christopher Lee came close with the Fu Manchu films and Terror of the Tongs, but that's about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here