Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wales FA to ban smoking on sidelines of children's footy.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-a...ing-sidelines-childrens-football-games-wales/

I think a presedence will be set here and others will quickly follow suit.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) and FAW Trust are set to introduce a new policy prohibiting smoking on the sidelines of youth football games across Wales.

The decision by the FAW to introduce a no smoking policy on the sidelines of its small-sided football games is designed to help de-normalise smoking in the eyes of children and prevent them from taking up the habit in later life.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bad news for the subs, but at least the kids on the pitch will still be able to have a crafty fag when there's a break in play, so, every cloud I guess.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I find it odd people will smoke on the side of kid's football match in the first place

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
ive coached boys football for years and never seen a parent smoking, kind of surprised it isn't already a thing. But anyway, good stuff.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I find it odd people will smoke on the side of kid's football match in the first place

As someone that spends a lot of my weekends carting my son about for matches I don't think I've ever seen anyone smoking while watching a kids match. Maybe puffing on a vape thingy but even then that is pretty rare.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As someone that spends a lot of my weekends carting my son about for matches I don't think I've ever seen anyone smoking while watching a kids match. Maybe puffing on a vape thingy but even then that is pretty rare.

I suppose Tom Jones 'Green Green Grass of Home gives a whole new meaning :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
ive coached boys football for years and never seen a parent smoking, kind of surprised it isn't already a thing. But anyway, good stuff.

Same here. I've coached kids rugby and cricket for several years and have not seen a parent smoking on the sidelines - it would be a strange thing to do

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
malcolm-allison-cigar.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When I coached Under 9s the club specifically asked parents not to smoke on the sidelines even though none ever had.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Bad news for the subs, but at least the kids on the pitch will still be able to have a crafty fag when there's a break in play, so, every cloud I guess.

I think it's a positive sign of how things have changed, but when I was 16 or 17 in the early noughties, I remember playing in a cup final for my sixth form team in what was quite a big game for us. Rather than warming up, I remember most of the team (including myself) just stood in a circle chain smoking fags in the run-up to kick-off. The same ensued at half-time.

There's a team photo still kicking around on the photo gallery of the local newspaper somewhere, and a couple of the lads have still got a tab in their mouth even then.

I personally haven't smoked in years and I don't miss it a jot, but it seems very rare to see young people smoking these days which is very encouraging. It seems to have lost its illusion as a 'cool' and 'hard' thing to do (something I completely bought into in my yoof, btw).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Do the Welsh FA own the land that The kids play on then ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here