Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Bitter celebration

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Consideration for others.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12163/12084976/essex-promise-diversity-education-after-muslim-player-alcohol-incident

beer.JPG

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
They aren't allowed to drink it so being touched by it shouldn't cause an issue, I imagine they use alcohol based hand sanitizer. Knee jerk reaction to a non incident and making themselves look foolish.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They aren't allowed to drink it so being touched by it shouldn't cause an issue, I imagine they use alcohol based hand sanitizer. Knee jerk reaction to a non incident and making themselves look foolish.

Comments which illustrate it's not just the Essex players who need to learn more.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Comments which illustrate it's not just the Essex players who need to learn more.
So why not tell "The Fifth Column" what he needs to learn?

Just because some of us know what the issue is, that doesn't mean everyone does.

Just telling someone that they are wrong without substantiating that accusation helps no-one.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Righto! Another chance for the serially offended to get offended...again. What's wrong with a simple apology if it bothered the player? No, they have to embark on a club wide diversity education program ffs. And the picture I've seen show him hardly being sprayed, a tiny bit of an inadvertent splash.

skysports-tom-westley-essex_5111038.jpg

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm personally mindful of others cultures and traditions (as are most folk). I have played with Muslim players.

It's about respect. Saying that you don't care is disrespectful and arrogant. There are simple ways round it. It's not hard.

I guess that is not what the OP wanted to hear.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The celebrations were entirely normal and traditional. Rather than the whole team changing step to fit in with the one, perhaps the tolerance should go the other way. The player can't have not been aware of the form the celebrations would take - he could have distanced himself and not taken part, for instance.
This can't have been the first time a Muslim sportsman has been involved with a team that's won a trophy - how did they handle it, without it becoming an issue?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Righto! Another chance for the serially offended to get offended...again. What's wrong with a simple apology if it bothered the player? No, they have to embark on a club wide diversity education program ffs. And the picture I've seen show him hardly being sprayed, a tiny bit of an inadvertent splash.

images.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Good point, when I go to another country populated by Muslims or any other religions for that matter I always gen up on behaviours so as not to offend and I might add leave my gammon suit at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
as with all these news stories ( thankfully a lot less than a month or so ago ) , people generally roll eyes and take it with a pinch of salt

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm personally mindful of others cultures and traditions (as are most folk). I have played with Muslim players.

It's about respect. Saying that you don't care is disrespectful and arrogant. There are simple ways round it. It's not hard.

I guess that is not what the OP wanted to hear.

I think the OP just wanted to shit stir again.

"Oi, Muhammed, you coming for a pint?"
"Well, he's not much of a team player, is he?"

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Righto! Another chance for the serially offended to get offended...again. What's wrong with a simple apology if it bothered the player? No, they have to embark on a club wide diversity education program ffs.And the picture I've seen show him hardly being sprayed, a tiny bit of an inadvertent splash.

View attachment 128888

A bit more than a tiny inadvertent splash looking at these pics...

2020-09-29 13.28.06.png

2020-09-29 13.29.27.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you say so. My leading comment?

I would expect less condemnatory allegations from a mod.

Well, there's always a chance this'll end up different to the other 547 race and Islam threads on NSC but I'm not holding my breath.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here