[Brighton] Marwood coffee house closes

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Has one of the funniest 'Terrible' reviews on Tripadvisor !!!!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A great antidote indeed. Always a good port in a storm - especially during The Great Escape weekend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well its been blamed on Covid at least.
Interesting comments relating to the article on the Argus site if you take a look.
Whilst I hate nothing more than a chain, I've never been a fan of this place.

I always try to support independent coffee places but can't say I warmed to this place - the staff had a real attitude problem and the coffee wasn't all that great.

Mind you, I'm not sure where is good in Brighton. I've been less than impressed with Small Batch, Presuming Ed and that one on Queen's Rd staffed by Aussies. For a hip, trendy sort of place, we're really lacking in decent coffee shops

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Several cutting reviews. This one has a memorable finale.

DE5494D7-8426-4E6D-B6FE-1D6CDA8914CF.png

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Horrible dump. Filthy, rude staff. 1 star hygiene rating.

The very worst of Brighton with their pretentiousness and delusions of grandeur.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Horrible dump. Filthy, rude staff. 1 star hygiene rating.

The very worst of Brighton with their pretentiousness and delusions of grandeur.

Not sure if I'm being wooshed, but (they don't hand out 5s willy nilly):

Screenshot_20200929-203019_Chrome.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Likes others above this post I love an independent coffee shop and never go to chain coffee shops if I can help it but I never warmed to Marwood. Just a bit too poncy and try hard for me plus the staff were always moody when I went there.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've been less than impressed with Small Batch

You've the first person I've seen/heard say that. Not saying it is the best coffee ever but most people seem to like Small Batch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You've the first person I've seen/heard say that. Not saying it is the best coffee ever but most people seem to like Small Batch.

I know it has its fans but thought the coffee was awful. I have a voucher for a free coffee but it was so disappointing, I'm in no hurry to use it. Not for me Clive

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Withnail & I reference in the title was what drew me in at first, the abhorrent staff, stench of patchouli and frankly revolting and unhygienic crockery was what drove me away.
I am an appreciator of the rustic and ramshackle aesthetic if done well. There's that place in South London that is a reclamation yard, old manor house filled with curios and art and a mind-blowing restaurant. Super place, forget the name.
Marwood's? You can shove it up your arse for nothing and **** off while you're doing it. Balls.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Sad times. I know Harry and Raf well and they put a hell of a lot of work into Marwood.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Totally agree the big American chain coffee shops remind me too much of chavy McDonald’s or Burger King . I normally go to either flour pot cafe in Hove ( think they have a Preston Park cafe as well ) or Small Batch in Wilbury road , both really nice coffee & efficient staff .

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know it has its fans but thought the coffee was awful. I have a voucher for a free coffee but it was so disappointing, I'm in no hurry to use it. Not for me Clive

I’ll have it..often go past the one on the coast road in Portslade but never popped in...send free of charge...thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here