Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football is better without fans - discuss

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
OK, so it's not better. Going to the football is an experience. A beer; pies; a laugh. Football is a social experience.

But the actual football, the game on the pitch, is it better?

The goals are flying in and the creativity on the pitch is enjoyable to watch.

Maybe the players feel less pressure. Maybe with the criticism from the crowd removed they can shine?

Is the crowd as twelfth 'man' just one big myth?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's been a crazy start to the season with some brilliant games.

But it's not to do with lack of fans.

More likely that the usual fitness work and defensive drilling that happens in preseason was truncated. This combined with a crazy handball interpretation has led to a glut of goals, especially at the end of matches.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
OK, so it's not better. Going to the football is an experience. A beer; pies; a laugh. Football is a social experience.

But the actual football, the game on the pitch, is it better?

The goals are flying in and the creativity on the pitch is enjoyable to watch.

Maybe the players feel less pressure. Maybe with the criticism from the crowd removed they can shine?

Is the crowd as twelfth 'man' just one big myth?

Just think how more effective the Albion can be at home, when the boo boys and bedwetters get into full song :moo:

PS: the team need the fans end of :thumbsup:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I play football every Sunday and we don't have any fans.

I play every Thursday without fans too. I must admit, it's much better that having a group of people on the sidelines pelting me for playing yet another rubbish ball straight to the opposition.

As an aside, I've long held the belief that Potterball will be more successful in an empty stadium. I think when a new system is trying to be put in place, the Albion fans are more like a sending off than a 12th man.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
12th Man is a myth. I'll agree with you on that. Very rare that players at the top are that heavily effected by crowds on a week by week basis.

Football on the pitch is therefore the same... Except it's a bit worse to watch as a spectator, and that is all football really is; a spectator sport that we are all (probably far too) involved in. There is no comedy to the game when a player miskicks a ball out of play, no eruption of collective anger when a ref makes a terrible decision, and most importantly, no cathartic release of tension in the air when a goal is scored. Football is set apart from Rugby, Cricket and other domestic sports only really by the fact that people in the stands really care about what happens on the pitch. Until that returns, football is a lesser game.

Players however should be applauded for the levels in which they have maintained without crowds. There was always a fear that the league would become a set of training games where no one was bothered and I don't think that's the case.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Cant remember what game it was, but the commentator was saying tune to this channel if you want the crowd noise or stay on this channel "if you want to hear 22 millionaires swearing at each other" just about summed up what football has become.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
[MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION] Would you say football is better without fans?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If you judge the quality of a game purely on the number of goals then hard to say it has not improved but for me the levels of defending so far this season in the PL have been terrible. Perhaps players more focused when they have a crowd watching them.

Football is so much more with the crowds it’s what brings the emotion to the match and everyone is carried along with it including the players. If you are chasing the game the crowd can help build the pressure for a goal and can put pressure on your own team when things are not going your way.

What is on display has the feel of a training match and is a much poorer product without the people in the stands.

I also do not understand the argument that players are better without fan pressure as at the top level of the game coping with the highs and lows of fan reaction is part and parcel of operating at that level of the game.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s not better, it’s just that we get a better view

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I certainly like a by-product of the current fan-less period: each game being played at different times, with no overlap at all.

As much as I'm a Saturday-3pm traditionalist, it's great having the games spread out across the whole weekend, and Monday evening as we currently have.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
12th Man is a myth. I'll agree with you on that. Very rare that players at the top are that heavily effected by crowds on a week by week basis.

Football on the pitch is therefore the same... Except it's a bit worse to watch as a spectator, and that is all football really is; a spectator sport that we are all (probably far too) involved in. There is no comedy to the game when a player miskicks a ball out of play, no eruption of collective anger when a ref makes a terrible decision, and most importantly, no cathartic release of tension in the air when a goal is scored. Football is set apart from Rugby, Cricket and other domestic sports only really by the fact that people in the stands really care about what happens on the pitch. Until that returns, football is a lesser game.

Players however should be applauded for the levels in which they have maintained without crowds. There was always a fear that the league would become a set of training games where no one was bothered and I don't think that's the case.

I think the idea that a home crowd improves their teams performance is overrated.
However I would argue that certain away players can be got at and put off their game.
Equally some players will feed off of it and get better when they are getting abuse.

So crowds can have an effect on individual performances IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My bank balance is better without football.

I'm also enjoying the irony of schlepping through decades of poor, oh so poor, football.
Just to get to within touching distance of the dream, only to have it taken away.

But then again I'm a twisted SOB who at best can be described as 'quirky'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I certainly like a by-product of the current fan-less period: each game being played at different times, with no overlap at all.

As much as I'm a Saturday-3pm traditionalist, it's great having the games spread out across the whole weekend, and Monday evening as we currently have.

Given there isn't much else to do at the moment, I have to say this is an excellent point. I will miss being to watch games at 5pm on a Monday on an illegal stream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here