Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple guru advice needed please

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am contemplating buying an Apple Watch 6 mainly due to the health apps such as ECG, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels.

I have a first generation Iphone SE that I do not wish to upgrade as it is just fine for my needs.

I have just spoken to someone at Apple who appeared to be reading off a script and she tells me the Apple Watch 6s and later are the only Iphones that this watch will sync with. Looking online this does not appear to be the case as there are a few links that say it does work with an SE. I am on IOS 14. I am guessing that it will work with a second generation 5 SE which makes me think that the Apple person was talking bollocks :smile:

Can any of you Apple Gurus confirm one way or the other please?

If you are an Apple hater please don’t bother trying to swing me to an android, thanks :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know the answer, but Apple's return policy is second to none, so you could order one, give it a go and then send it back if it didn't work or, for any other reason, you've changed your mind.

The SE has the same CPU as the 6s, which should give you a decent chance.

Are you running iOS 13.x or 14?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know the answer, but Apple's return policy is second to none, so you could order one, give it a go and then send it back if it didn't work or, for any other reason, you've changed your mind.

The SE has the same CPU as the 6s, which should give you a decent chance.

Are you running iOS 13.x or 14?

I am running IOS 14.0.1

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you are already on 14 I think you should be fine - however be aware of what might happen in the future. I don't have an Apple Watch so not sure how it works, but there is a potential say IOS14.x (I am guessing) would be the last version you could run

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you are already on 14 I think you should be fine - however be aware of what might happen in the future. I don't have an Apple Watch so not sure how it works, but there is a potential say IOS14.x (I am guessing) would be the last version you could run

As long as the health bits work that would not bother me, I wouldn’t even use it except to do the health checks as my Tudor Ranger watch is my watch of choice :shrug:

If anyone knows of a fitbit type thing that covers ECG, blood pressure and oxygen levels that would be more than adequate but I can’t find one

I am sounding a bit Ben’s Grandad (RIP) here I know :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As long as the health bits work that would not bother me, I wouldn’t even use it except to do the health checks as my Tudor Ranger watch is my watch of choice :shrug:

If anyone knows of a fitbit type thing that covers ECG, blood pressure and oxygen levels that would be more than adequate but I can’t find one

I am sounding a bit Ben’s Grandad (RIP) here I know :lolol:

If it works today great, go for it. Like I say just perhaps keep in mind in the future if the Watch OS goes past wherever the phone iOS stops in the future. It might not even be a 'thing' but just a thought

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I am contemplating buying an Apple Watch 6 mainly due to the health apps such as ECG, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels.

I have a first generation Iphone SE that I do not wish to upgrade as it is just fine for my needs.

I have just spoken to someone at Apple who appeared to be reading off a script and she tells me the Apple Watch 6s and later are the only Iphones that this watch will sync with. Looking online this does not appear to be the case as there are a few links that say it does work with an SE. I am on IOS 14. I am guessing that it will work with a second generation 5 SE which makes me think that the Apple person was talking bollocks :smile:

Can any of you Apple Gurus confirm one way or the other please?

If you are an Apple hater please don’t bother trying to swing me to an android, thanks :smile:

Go for it as others have said, you’ll be able to return if any issues.

That said you will need to update your phone at some point. It’s not about what “fits your needs”, there’ll be a time when you won’t be compatible with the latest phone or watch iOS and then have issues with core services.

So get the watch (I have one, they’re a great device. You won’t regret), but know you’ll need to upgrade eventually.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Update for those that care or have a generation one Iphone SE and are contemplating an Apple Watch. Contrary to what Apple told me and all their online blurb stating the contrary, an SE works perfectly with an apple watch 6. Thanks for your reassuring advice which made me go ahead and give it a go :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Update for those that care or have a generation one Iphone SE and are contemplating an Apple Watch. Contrary to what Apple told me and all their online blurb stating the contrary, an SE works perfectly with an apple watch 6. Thanks for your reassuring advice which made me go ahead and give it a go :thumbsup:

Enjoy!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here