Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Daddy Long Legs

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Our Daddy long legs are better than yours na na na na na :lolol: ours have wings!

Now put me in my place by saying yours are four feet high and are venomous.

Actually, I was wrong. That isn't what an Aussie normally associates with DDL (although it is a DDL). Turns out there's 3 types of DDL:

- Crane Fly (has wings and 6 long legs)
- True DDL (opilionids arachnids that aren't spiders) (8 long legs and a pill shaped body)
- DDL spider (8 long legs and proper spider shaped multi-part body)

The latter is what most Aussies would recognise as a DDL. And yes, they are poisonous ... but only to insects. They're pretty boring as far as spiders go.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Actually, I was wrong. That isn't what an Aussie normally associates with DDL (although it is a DDL). Turns out there's 3 types of DDL:

- Crane Fly (has wings and 6 long legs)
- True DDL (opilionids arachnids that aren't spiders) (8 long legs and a pill shaped body)
- DDL spider (8 long legs and proper spider shaped multi-part body)

The latter is what most Aussies would recognise as a DDL. And yes, they are poisonous ... but only to insects. They're pretty boring as far as spiders go.

It make me laugh that people are scared of spiders in Britain. They need to go to Australia. When i visited the kids were catching Redbacks to show me. They are supposed to be poisonous?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Chiiina. I call them the Chiiina bug. There are many names. Many names. They had the chance to stop them coming over here. Many chances. And we are doing a tremendous job. We are swatting more than the rest of the EU combined. We have a spray coming soon, very soon, tremendous spray. I signed an Executive Order to outlaw the Chiiiina bug, very good Order. Biden keeps them as pets, so I hear. Did you hear this? The radical left want you to be overwhelmed with the Chiiiina big - true story. Crooked Hillary puts food out for them - great reporting from Fox - tremendous. I gave a black man a fly swat yesterday - did you see this? No other President ever gave a black man a fly swat before - I am doing great work, tremendous work. I paid for it out of my taxes - many taxes. I paid more taxes than anyone else. Anyone else. Doing great work, tremendous work.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Yes, shit loads in Worthing. Had 3 in the bedroom as the light was left on with window open threw them out and realised another 2 had come in while I was doing that. How many of them do you need to make up a decent sized burger?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Excellent... I'll have to get scarifying and then get some of this down before the temperature drops.

Don't rush right now.
Nematodes are for killing the leatherjackets - the instructions advise a specific time in the season for this to be most effective - late spring [May to us UK folk] - applying nematodes now even after a scarify is not going to deal with leatherjackets for next year.

Edit: And Nematodes have a very short shelf life [14 days IIRC] and must be stored in a fridge [and not particularly cheap either] - so don't be thinking buy now use later with this product - have a good read online first.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The most venomous spider, but they dont have teeth luckily..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This is a Daddy Long Legs:

1b30fc0e4c77c791f83f46cbe64242a8.jpg

That's not. Let's get this sorted..

Crane-fly.jpg Crane Fly

leiobunum-harvestmen-daddy-longlegs.jpg Harvestman

Pholcus.phalangioides.6905.jpg Pholcidae Spider aka Daddy Long Legs.

Seems people call any insect with extended legs a Daddy Long Legs.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Our house is now buried under an avalanche of conkers on the basis that the Mrs has convinced herself this will rid us of the spider invasion. Everytime I settle down in front of the telly I hear a scream equivalent to a coach load of nuns going over a cliff. This heralds the arrival of another tiny spider who I am implored to kill. Once I use a cup and piece of paper to evict said insect I am then accused of wasting money as she refuses to touch the cup again :lolol:

Don't even get me started on the mouse we had a few years back.....

I seem to be living in a docu-drama akin to the Truman show as the daughter and now the granddaughter are following the family tradition of turning into absolute drama queens. I went upstairs earlier in the week to find all three of them standing on the bed screaming. Tarantula? no woodlouse :lolol:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Used to be terrified of them as a young child. It was something about the way they flit about randomly. :(

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
It's what I miss most about not having a cat now, any big spiders on the carpet got paw whacked a few times and then eaten, and they always had legs and wings sticking out of their mouths when it was crane fly season. No, it's no good, I've got pussy withdrawal symptoms, I'm gonna have to get another cat. (that's if Mrs BB will let me) :kiss:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Our cat is quite good at eating crane flies when he can be arsed.

They truly are amongst the most pointless and annoying creatures around though. Able to spot the tiniest pin prick of light from approximately 30 miles away, they descend when you open your bedroom window with the bedside light on for 0.003 seconds. And then flap around annoyingly in the dark while you try to sleep.

Occasionally I manage to successfully whack one in the dark, whereby it (of course) falls, dazed, down behind the bed or the radiator, and I then have to endure an hour or so of ftftftftftftftftftfttffft ftftftftftftftftftfttfftfttfft ftttfftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftft ftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftftfttftftfttftftftftftftft noises as it tries to get out. Urgh.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It make me laugh that people are scared of spiders in Britain. They need to go to Australia. When i visited the kids were catching Redbacks to show me. They are supposed to be poisonous?

They are, and you won't catch me going anywhere near a redback spider. A bite from one of those can make you very, very sick.

on a related note - this year we have had loads of wasps indoors in the past month - quite dosile and just trying to escape through the windows or walking down walls!. Found over a dozen dead ones in the hallway in the past week. guess they must have come in when we had the windows and doors open earlier in the year,

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
on a related note - this year we have had loads of wasps indoors in the past month - quite dosile and just trying to escape through the windows or walking down walls!. Found over a dozen dead ones in the hallway in the past week. guess they must have come in when we had the windows and doors open earlier in the year,

One or two I can understand, but a dozen? Sounds like you've had a nest quite close by. Watch the little blighters at this time of year, the queens to be are leaving, so the minions have no purpose in life. They trot off from the nest and feast on fallen fruit and the like. This fallen fruit has started to ferment and pretty much the minions all get rat faced. This is the point they act like lairy teenage boys. You try to swat them in this state and it's a case of "youwantsomeorwotbruv".
You have been warned???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here