Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Daddy Long Legs

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
WTF is it with them this year. Bloody hundreds of the damn things.

Never seen so many.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It could be the fact we had a mild winter, so less leatherjackets succumbed to adverse weather......but we'll go with other theories if people want to

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Blithering ****wits all over the shop atm. Seem to take a particular liking to bludgeoning themselves trying to escape out of the never open loft skylight in our extension leading to something akin to a death assemblage on the carpet stairs.

Best thing you can do if you hate them is get a cat. They bloody love snacking on them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven’t seen any :shrug:

Me neither :shrug:

1990 was daddylonglegsageddon. Thousands on my south east facing wall. :shrug:

Plenty of hodgypigs about though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blithering ****wits all over the shop atm. Seem to take a particular liking to bludgeoning themselves trying to escape out of the never open loft skylight in our extension leading to something akin to a death assemblage on the carpet stairs.

Best thing you can do if you hate them is get a cat. They bloody love snacking on them.

That's a point. Cat was outside doing the 'hold me back' dance against invisible (to me, in the dark) adversaries, earlier. Could be the ddlls.

Or possibly 5G aliens ???

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm always at war with leatherjackets and earlier this year gave my lawn a good dose of nematodes.

Only seen 4 DLLs this Autumn and all 4 met a swift death ....

If you have a crap lawn, chances are leatherjackets are feasting on your grass roots - ba$tards

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Seen a lot of Crane Fly in the last few weeks. But not many spiders.

Some people call these Daddy Long Legs:
5658b575f927b2cb404450f534fdb8bf.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It could be the fact we had a mild winter, so less leatherjackets succumbed to adverse weather......but we'll go with other theories if people want to

Badgers can confirm this, the way they’ve been digging up my lawn for them :-(

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I might be wrong but arent Daddy Longlegs the spiders that look like a little ball withspindly legs and a Crane fly is the horrible cant fly properly things that seem to be everywhere, East Surrey Hospital Bus stop was covered in the evil ******** yesterday morning

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Daddy Longlegs ate my lawn. Cost £2k+ to replace it with artificial grass during lockdown. That'll teach them - oh, wait a minute...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They seem attracted to my computer screen at work.
Especially at night when I'm typing an email etc.....
A ruler comes in handy, trying to launch them back through the window!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I might be wrong but arent Daddy Longlegs the spiders that look like a little ball withspindly legs and a Crane fly is the horrible cant fly properly things that seem to be everywhere, East Surrey Hospital Bus stop was covered in the evil ******** yesterday morning

This is a Daddy Long Legs:

1b30fc0e4c77c791f83f46cbe64242a8.jpg

D

Deleted member 2719

Badgers can confirm this, the way they’ve been digging up my lawn for them :-(

There is a way to rid the badgers.

Put a can of shaving foam in the middle of your lawn.

If that fails (serious way), drink loads of beer and spirits, wait an hour and get out there with the friend that you hold so close to you and hose the lawn, being careful to circle the borders of the lawn with that Urea.

You have now marked your territory if that fails, go the jasper carrot mole killing route.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Crane flies just mince about all day. I bet they have little respect from the rest of the insect world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here