Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Do celebs get paid for guest appearing on panel shows?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This could be the shortest thread ever!

Any industry insiders know? Often wondered if they get an appearance fee, or whether it’s all part of the narcissist self promotion circus i.e. they have to do me me me for free free free!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Any industry insiders know? Often wondered if they get an appearance fee, or whether it’s all part of the narcissist self promotion circus i.e. they have to do me me me for free free free!

A bit yes, a bit no. When we were trying to get Martine McCutcheon and Alan Davies out on the chat shows for The Bromley Boys the big ones would pay a fee (not a lot) - others we'd have to beg them to do for free!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I know 1 comedian who’d get £20-40k per appearance on the likes of Mock the Week, Never Mind the Buzzcocks etc.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's about this time of year I always feel sorry for those employed by the BBC...... Tis the season of Strictly and the powers that be always pick on some cheap BBC staffers to keep the costs down, hence the annual inclusion of a smattering from Eastenders, Casualty, News or current affairs or BBC Radio. Thanks to Covid this years going to be much shorter, thank goodness.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Of course they get paid. It's their job.

Not according to GS, above you. Who also knows what he’s talking about! No offence, like... :)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not according to GS, above you. Who also knows what he’s talking about! No offence, like... :)

Celebs do get paid (not a lot) to go on comedy panel shows. It’s a union condition I believe. GS is talking about promotional stuff which is probably different as the purpose is to sell something.

My wife does TV make up and works on a lot of this sort of stuff.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I know 1 comedian who’d get £20-40k per appearance on the likes of Mock the Week, Never Mind the Buzzcocks etc.

I'm not sure about that, not even if they are presenting it.

The going rate for panel work is £2-£5k a show.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Celebs do get paid (not a lot) to go on comedy panel shows. It’s a union condition I believe. GS is talking about promotional stuff which is probably different as the purpose is to sell something.

My wife does TV make up and works on a lot of this sort of stuff.

Cheers Dan
Appears some celebs get paid for promotional work, even though self-interests to do; or could be contractual eg appearances on One Show, Graham Norton, Sunday Kitchen etc. Others get paid to appear on comedy shows because they’ll add to its success eg Mock the Week, QI

What about a celeb doing a Parkinson like interview, that isn’t synced with a book release etc? I guess could be either, depending on what each party wants.

What about a Politician or Newspaper journalist appearing on HIGNFY? Do Strictly pay their celebs? Hope not, that’s like being selected for your country!

Thanking everyone for their input so far / in advance.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
John Glenn got $250k for a one-hour slot at an annual sales conference in Vegas. Oh, plus first class flights for him and his wife from New York, a penthouse suite in the Four Seasons for 3 nights, plus onward flights to Maui and 10 nights in the Ritz Carlton there.

Michael Johnson got $150k for the same gig the following year. The bloke who played Mini Me got $75k for half a day - not a nice man.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A bit yes, a bit no. When we were trying to get Martine McCutcheon and Alan Davies out on the chat shows for The Bromley Boys the big ones would pay a fee (not a lot) - others we'd have to beg them to do for free!
Is the Bromley Boys available online in Australia? I would like to see it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What about members of the public?
I understood that they earnt a nice round sum for appearing on game shows, in many instances more than the prize money.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Does [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] count as a celeb? He must be raking it in on all the TV and radio appearances... [emoji6]

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Do Strictly pay their celebs? Hope not, that’s like being selected for your country!

What, international footballers play for free? Surely they get paid.

Strictly celebs get paid - as well they should as it’s a huge commitment and they’d have to turn down other work to do it. They get a lot more than they would doing a few hours on a panel game. Tens of thousands of pounds each, although they’re not all paid the same fee. Star power counts.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What, international footballers play for free? Surely they get paid.

Strictly celebs get paid - as well they should as it’s a huge commitment and they’d have to turn down other work to do it. They get a lot more than they would doing a few hours on a panel game. Tens of thousands of pounds each, although they’re not all paid the same fee. Star power counts.

Of course international footballers get paid to play for England! The reality is it now is such a paltry sum in comparison to their guaranteed weekly wage (not a paltry sum to the likes of us) that most international regulars donate any fees received straight to charity. Germany started it off years ago, and now most big nations (including England) have followed suit.

On a side note, there is of course at least one Premier League footballer who donates his entire weekly wage club wage to charity. It's very much a part of the game now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Of course international footballers get paid to play for England! The reality is it now is such a paltry sum in comparison to their guaranteed weekly wage (not a paltry sum to the likes of us) that most international regulars donate any fees received straight to charity. Germany started it off years ago, and now most big nations (including England) have followed suit.

On a side note, there is of course at least one Premier League footballer who donates his entire weekly wage club wage to charity. It's very much a part of the game now.
Gary Neville started it off for England years ago. All players pay for playing for England goes to charity.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I was paid to appear in the audience of Hanger 17 back in the day, was given a Dr Pepper, a BTL and a packet of McCoys so imagine celebs would get more than a meal deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here