Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The next Neal Maupay penalty

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Against Everton he went straight down the middle, same with against Newcastle and essentially Man United.

When he’s missed against Leicester and the pre season friendly he’s tried to place it to the sides.

Any opposition goal keeping coach worth their salt with know this and tell their keeper to stay standing centrally during the next penalty.

So I hope he’s also being advised to seriously practice finding the corner.

I personally am not convinced and next one he misses he should be off them permanently.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was always told with penalties to make the next one different to the last one and hit them hard and on target.

What level of football were you playing at, that it could possibly have mattered?

I scored 26 out of 28, and put all but ONE* of them in exactly the same spot (left footed, to bottom left corner). Detailed opposition scouting, and penalty taker analysis wasn't very advanced in the Winchester Sunday League, 20 years ago :shrug:

*The only time I went the other way, was taking a THIRD penalty in the same game.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
What level of football were you playing at, that it could possibly have mattered?

I scored 26 out of 28, and put all but ONE* of them in exactly the same spot (left footed, to bottom left corner). Detailed opposition scouting, and penalty taker analysis wasn't very advanced in the Winchester Sunday League, 20 years ago :shrug:

*The only time I went the other way, was taking a THIRD penalty in the same game.

Bit rude, and now you'll never know

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Actually Maupay has a really good all-time competitive record taking penalties. He's missed just that Scmeichel one in 11 penalties taken. So let's forget the friendly one and have a bit more faith, especially as Gross probably won't be around so much.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I like the Ray Stewart (West Ham in the 80's ?) method of penalty taking - blasted head high. I think he missed about 1 in 80 taken.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hit it like Vardy hit his first one v City - if keeper gets in the way of that other keeper and ball in back of net.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Get worried every time he takes penalty. Prefer the Utd guys style. Only certainty is hard to top corner and thats what he does every time

I don’t like him taking them either. Usually saveable height in either corner. The down middle ones are too risky - he needs to hit it harder in the corners or place it high.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Maupay seems to be looking to develop a penalty taking style where the keeper can do as much research before the game he wants,he won't know how maupay will take the penalty.
It will take a while to develop,but he will start to have a reputation amongst goalies as someone they will not want to face in a penalty situation.
If he continues to show the marvellous disrespect and cheekiness he showed to the man u keeper then he will also gain an edge in the mind games.
I like his style and I think next pen will go to the goalies left,bottom corner.

D

Deleted member 2719

He missed in the Chelsea friendly as well if I recall so his record's not great - making the confidence on saturday even more extraordinary
The lad is wired in a different way IMO, which makes him what he is, and I like that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Maupay seems to be looking to develop a penalty taking style where the keeper can do as much research before the game he wants,he won't know how maupay will take the penalty.
It will take a while to develop,but he will start to have a reputation amongst goalies as someone they will not want to face in a penalty situation.
If he continues to show the marvellous disrespect and cheekiness he showed to the man u keeper then he will also gain an edge in the mind games.
I like his style and I think next pen will go to the goalies left,bottom corner.

The lad is wired in a different way IMO, which makes him what he is, and I like that.

Well if Maupay does miss any penalty could always call it a 'Higuain' :lol:

i seem to recall CMS went through a bad spell too - i guess its easy to forget the pressure they are under ,especially if its a kick to take the lead or one to make us level

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
i seem to recall CMS went through a bad spell too - i guess its easy to forget the pressure they are under ,especially if its a kick to take the lead or one to make us level

And he didn’t even have to try and control the ball in that scenario. Poor lamb.

Another one for the low and hard in either corner but preferably right footer to the keepers right and left footer to keepers left - anything else and IMO you risk not generating enough power. And never between a foot and three off the ground as gives the keeper too many chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here