Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Lallana against Man Utd

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Went a bit under the radar due to the controversy of the game but he looked very good against United. Fatigued a little bit hence why he got pulled off after 75 but I can now see why we signed him.

The game was played at quite high intensity from our part, we seem to be pressing a lot more this season and for somebody who's not played much football for a few seasons he was all over the pitch and evidently leading the team from midfield. Was a little bit sceptical when we got him even though it was for free because of the fact he hasn't played much, Southampton fans suggesting he's only come here to retire because it's convenient for him and it no doubt took a lot of our wage budget.

However, I'm starting to believe it could be one of the signings of the season. He's fit in really well with the group, seems to have a brilliant understanding of the type of football we want to play and brings leadership, top level experience and adds genuine quality to our team. You could see him telling players where to pass, he was always the first one on the refs, made a few tactical fouls, linked the play really well. Sat deeper when needed too and we pressed as a team him which is something we didn't do enough of last year.

Maybe it is the perfect match like he said.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went a bit under the radar due to the controversy of the game but he looked very good against United. Fatigued a little bit hence why he got pulled off after 75 but I can now see why we signed him.

The game was played at quite high intensity from our part, we seem to be pressing a lot more this season and for somebody who's not played much football for a few seasons he was all over the pitch and evidently leading the team from midfield. Was a little bit sceptical when we got him even though it was for free because of the fact he hasn't played much, Southampton fans suggesting he's only come here to retire because it's convenient for him and it no doubt took a lot of our wage budget.

However, I'm starting to believe it could be one of the signings of the season. He's fit in really well with the group, seems to have a brilliant understanding of the type of football we want to play and brings leadership, top level experience and adds genuine quality to our team. You could see him telling players where to pass, he was always the first one on the refs, made a few tactical fouls, linked the play really well. Sat deeper when needed too and we pressed as a team him which is something we didn't do enough of last year.

Maybe it is the perfect match like he said.

Agreed. Oozes class, will be brilliant for us. He’s a real presence on the pitch too - constantly directing others.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We have such a young side and youth yields inconsistency. Having someone of Lallana's pedigree dictating play and barking orders must be really helpful to our younger players. They'll learn so much from him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good post, I'd almost forgotten him, which shows how well the others are doing. I think he did the simple things very well, and his presence on the pitch must provide a lot of benefit to the younger players. If we can regularly get 60-70 mins out of him then he will prove to be a good signing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bissouma on the bench? Are you mad? A crazy suggestion.

Instead we should drop ........ errr ... ok, yeh you're probably right

Made a balls up of that post but you were quick off the mark!

I really can't see Alzate not starting .... names in a hat maybe ???

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
made the hard things look simple. Would of lost possession a number of times with any other player than him. Enabled others to shine.

He is class above what we've had

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Probably our biggest upgrade on a position for a long, long time in any position just in terms of the wealth of experience he brings. The key will be keeping him fit, if we can get him on the pitch even for 25 games this season we'll be absolutely laughing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just a few months ago, the idea of selling Mooy, Stephens and probably Propper would have seemed crazy. Not so much now.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’d still be tempted to play him further forward, move Trossard into Connolly’s role and keep Biss and Alzate in the middle, fortunately Potter is far more astute than myself so whatever he goes with will be a good call.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Like the fact he told the ref in no uncertain terms what he thought at the end while the ref was walking off!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Bissouma, Lallana and Alzate as our CM options looks to me to be as good as we could have dreamed of, we have that position well and truely sorted. As someone else said, it's crazy to think it wasn't long ago we were thinking Stephens, Mooy and Propper were the main options. They have all done well for us, but we have certainly gone up a level in those positions now. I think we needed to and it's amazing how we have transformed in that area with no big transfer outlay.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Like the fact he told the ref in no uncertain terms what he thought at the end while the ref was walking off!

Haha, yeah I saw that and I was a bit surprised. There was me expecting to see him calmly walk off the pitch, having a word with the younger guys about keeping a cool head, he looked like he would be the first of our 7 down the tunnel for a royal rumble. I'm not going to complain, nothing wrong with having a bit of fire in your belly, we need that as much as anything.

I guess someone else will have to take on the cool headed role though lol.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Completely agree with most on this thread, he looks so calm under pressure, never looks like making a mistake with the ball and makes some fairly difficult passes look easy.

Perfect balance to Bissouma and Alzate, who as fantastic as they are, will have mistakes in them every now and then due to inexperience.

If we can keep him fit he's a huge player for us this season.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Echo everything previously said. Class act. Will add to us immeasurably. Can already see the difference.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I could see Lallana playing a bit further forward in an away game, such as the one at Everton.

More like a 3-4-1-2

That way Bissouma and Alzate could resume in the centre of midfield. Lallana plays centrally behind a front two.

One of the normal front three, though I've no idea who, could make way.

Biss deserves to come back in, but nobody deserves to be dropped

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here