Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brian Horton - Two Thousand games

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Just finished reading the Brian Horton book about his career in football. Great book that I'd recommend to any Albion fan.
Interesting insight into his days as Captain of BHA. Was Mullery's man on and off the pitch. Talks about the other players in that team like Lawrenson who apparently was a terrible trainer but just turned it on in matches.
Obviously came back to manage us in our dark days at Gillingham and dragged us from a bottom half team in the second division to an improving outfit until he was offered the job at Port Vale who were then in the equivalent of the Championship. He says it's the hardest decision he ever had to make in his career to leave, and I think he may have regretted it as it didn't work out well.
When sacked at Port Vale he was offered the job at Macclesfield. They were second bottom of the 2nd division with seven games remaining, with two going down. First game up was away to York who were third bottom.
This is what he says; they went to York and won 4-2 with two York old boys scoring for them, Jon Parkin and Graham Potter. Jon Parkin was a larger than life character who was the main man in terms of the dressing room. Graham sat at the back of the dressing room and was so quiet that no one could have thought that despite his obvious intellect he would be the success he was in Sweden and now at Brighton. Just goes to show that you can't judge a person by first impressions. ( not word for word but pretty close).
Horton goes on to talk about how he fell out with Alex Ferguson etc.
Height of his managerial career was his time as manager of Manchester City.

Well worth a read for the Albion connections alone.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Just finished reading the Brian Horton book about his career in football. Great book that I'd recommend to any Albion fan.
Interesting insight into his days as Captain of BHA. Was Mullery's man on and off the pitch. Talks about the other players in that team like Lawrenson who apparently was a terrible trainer but just turned it on in matches.
Obviously came back to manage us in our dark days at Gillingham and dragged us from a bottom half team in the second division to an improving outfit until he was offered the job at Port Vale who were then in the equivalent of the Championship. He says it's the hardest decision he ever had to make in his career to leave, and I think he may have regretted it as it didn't work out well.
When sacked at Port Vale he was offered the job at Macclesfield. They were second bottom of the 2nd division with seven games remaining, with two going down. First game up was away to York who were third bottom.
This is what he says; they went to York and won 4-2 with two York old boys scoring for them, Jon Parkin and Graham Potter. Jon Parkin was a larger than life character who was the main man in terms of the dressing room. Graham sat at the back of the dressing room and was so quiet that no one could have thought that despite his obvious intellect he would be the success he was in Sweden and now at Brighton. Just goes to show that you can't judge a person by first impressions. ( not word for word but pretty close).
Horton goes on to talk about how he fell out with Alex Ferguson etc.
Height of his managerial career was his time as manager of Manchester City.

Well worth a read for the Albion connections alone.

One of my all time favourite players and our greatest ever captain.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
One of my all time favourite players and our greatest ever captain.

Totally agree.
I met Nobby in a hotel in Walsall when he was manager of Man. City. They were there before a match. Had a good chat about all things Albion. A lovely fellow and, as you say, the best skipper we ever had.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A real leader of men. Hard and fair. Led by example. Remember him getting player of the season, when Wardy scored 36 goals. Thats how much the fans thought of him. Put Nobby in a BHA midfield with Paul Clark and Jimmy Case and there is no question which team would win that battle. ( I will make a point of reading his book )

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The man is a real legend. Ran the club in some of its darkest hours.
I recall when he was manager he got the whole first team squad to the Junior Seagulls FC annual awards night under orders of a fine. He really would have been a great long term manager at the time. He knew Brighton and it’s community. I was sick as a pig when he left. I understood why, but was heartbroken at the time.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Last game of the season at Chesterfield

I was a young kid

Standing outside the ground, Brighton's team coach pulls up

Brain Horton looks straight at me and I give him the clenched fist
He in return gives me a big smile

He won't remember it of course
But I'll never forget it

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• Two-Thousand-Games-Pitch.jpg
    Two-Thousand-Games-Pitch.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 86

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I noticed he puts down Lawro as a Brighton player in his perfect team to manage.

As Manager I would choose the following team;

Goalkeeper- Tony Coton (Manchester City)

Right Back- George Cohen (Fulham, England World Cup Winner)

Centre Back- Mike Lawrenson (Brighton)

Centre Half- Bobby Moore (West Ham, England World Cup Winning Captain)

Left Back- Ray Wilson (Everton, England World Cup Winner)

Right Wing- George Best (Manchester United)

Midfield- Bryan Robson (Manchester United)

Midfield- Glenn Hoddle (Tottenham Hotspur)

Left Wing- Bobby Charlton (Manchester United, England World Cup Winner)

Forward- Pelé (Santos, 3-time Brazil World Cup Winner)

Forward- Lionel Messi (Barcelona)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Does he say when the second part video of Horton's Heroes is coming out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here