Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Anyone Linking the New Handball Rule ?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The incident to which you are referring is a whole different kettle of fish.

My comment was aimed the current handball/penalty law.

So what shall we do next year then another diagram or another couple of bullet points specifying some additional scenarios? Do we keep adding to the list until we have a full and comprehensive 22 page definition of what a handball is or is not?

I am not surprised the referee got today’s wrong must be hard to remember all of the clauses and nonsense that has been added to the rules to cover the handball law.

Or how about we strip it all right back and apply a basic rule like Roy’s suggestion and applied by the officials with some basic common sense?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
According to the present laws said:

That was my exact thinking with the two Penalties that were awarded against Motherwell today.

I was initially horrified that the decisions were given against my team but then had to concede. That's the rules now so I can't really start accusing the referee as having been bias in favour of Rangers

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So what shall we do next year then another diagram or another couple of bullet points specifying some additional scenarios? Do we keep adding to the list until we have a full and comprehensive 22 page definition of what a handball is or is not?

I am not surprised the referee got today’s wrong must be hard to remember all of the clauses and nonsense that has been added to the rules to cover the handball law.

Or how about we strip it all right back and apply a basic rule like Roy’s suggestion and applied by the officials with some basic common sense?

Ref....common sense.....interpretation.

Went well at The Amex yesterday.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ref....common sense.....interpretation.

Went well at The Amex yesterday.

So the alternative is no better so what are we gaining by adding all of this nonsense?

Perhaps time to accept that like players officials will make mistakes and just get on with it.

Like I said in an earlier post the one positive from all of this is it has proved the original problem was never as big as it was being portrayed.

Leave all of the over analysing to the bored TV pundits let’s get back to simplifying the game which was how we all fell in love with it in the first place.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
FIFA, UEFA, the FA and Premier League seem to have undone decades of work getting the rules right, by putting them in a tombola and turned the handle as fast as they could.
Football has become a total shambles.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can somebody tell me if the present hand ball rule is all football or just EFL

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In Talksport's Boot Room programme tonight they were insisting this has nothing to do with VAR, just the rules being bad. Utter nonsense - the reason they keep farting about with the rules is to suit VAR, to give VAR 100% accurate decisions it can make - i.e. if the ball brushes the arm form close range with the player looking the other way, VAR can then show it as 'clear and obvious' handball. Therefore VAR is working perfectly ........

Mind you, when someone suggested Dunk would improve Manchester City's afwful defence, the air was filled with guffaws about, no,Dunk is just an old fashioned CB who can't play out of the back. Numpties.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The rule in its current guise will favour teams to lump it into the box.

It’s double jeopardy now for the defending team. Conceded a goal or more likely concede a penalty with bodies so congested in the box.

As a player now if you are going backwards and can’t generate much power you might be better off heading towards the opponent than the goal. Crazy.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
How anyone in their right mind could like the new handball rule or var is beyond compatible. Can't be proper football fans

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Listen, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

If you like the new handball rule, you’re just wrong.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Can somebody tell me if the present hand ball rule is all football or just EFL

Theoretically all divisions should be treated the same and rules applied evenly. We all know this is not the case.

In the Prem due to VAR picking every little minutiae of every action from picking your nose to a toe nail being measured as offside, anything and everything will be checked over in minute detail by the ref in the studio, effectively looking for a reason to give a penalty or to rule a goal out for a variety of potential infringements.

Below the Prem in the EFL there is no way of the ref checking a monitor or being advised to do so due to the lack of VAR so the decisions given, whether rightly or wrongly, stand at the time they are given and the players get on with it. Exceptions will be for missed incidents like violent conduct for example with retrospective bans etc etc.

I have yet to see though any penalties given in such controversial circumstances from the 3 weeks of highlights so far from the EFL I've watched. Plenty of pens but nothing as contentious as we've seen under the microscope in the Premier League.

I'm not for one second saying I want to see us back in the Championship, but I do miss the more simpler interpretation of the rules down there WITHOUT VAR but WITH goal line technology.

A bit like George Lucas suddenly having access to all this technical wizardry in the late 90's and mucking up the Star Wars prequels, it seems we are going the same way in the Premier League with access to all these screens, replays, lines on the screens, and then not having a sensible set of rules upon which to use such tech!

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Steve Bruce is spot on that football has lost the plot. A fundamental of the rules should be that the punishment fits the crime and that is no longer happening.
As a 50+ yr old who has loved the game from childhood I am rapidly falling out of love. I doubt I’m the only one.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Steve Bruce is spot on that football has lost the plot. A fundamental of the rules should be that the punishment fits the crime and that is no longer happening.
As a 50+ yr old who has loved the game from childhood I am rapidly falling out of love. I doubt I’m the only one.

You're not. I've been watching since the late 60's and as good as the football today is, I'm very disillusioned at the way it's being interfered with. Technology is great and I'm all for change but football is a pretty simple game and for me goal line tech is all that we really need.

I actually thought Roy Hodgson's comments after the Palace game on MOTD were very well and effectively put. I'm sure most of us agree as the panel did on the show afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here