Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Anyone Linking the New Handball Rule ?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It really makes Dunk style defending impossible - you can’t throw your body in to block a shot now as it has a good chance of hitting your arm. It is a stupid rule - must be changed now not at the end of the season! How are you meant to defend now? Really the game will be keeping the ball out of the box at all costs and not giving free kicks and corners away.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It really makes Dunk style defending impossible - you can’t through your body in to block a shot now as it has a good chance of hitting your arm. It is a stupid rule - must be changed now not at the end of the season! How are you meant to defend now? Really the game will be keeping the ball out of the box at all costs and not giving free kicks and corners away.

Very much this. As said earlier it doesn't matter shooting at goal - shooting at an opponent will be the new directive for all attacking teams.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Everyone else except Greame Souness and me seem to hate it.

I think it gives a lot of clarity. Even though Motherwell got 2 handball penalties given against them today because of it . I still quite like the new Rule.

And anything which pisses Jose Mourhino off is good for me

Football is not about perfection and if you support this drawing of t-shirts on diagrams to determine handball or slide rule offsides you have obviously not played or understand what the game is about. The rules should be there to protect the sportsmanship and integrity of the game not to punish people having the ball hit against their body in a distance it is humanly impossible to react to.

Roy had it spot on about offside yesterday a simple law that can be simply applied without 20 pages of text and diagrams to explain it.

Football is a simple game and that simplicity was part of its mass appeal it neither needs or wants this crazy and frankly absurd measurement culture we have introduced in the last few seasons.

There is no improvement being seen here just further proving how far removed the lawmakers are from the spirit of the game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Its bollocks, THe FA and officialdom are slowly ruining the game imo

goal line tech yes . . . . . TV replays for ref, and or all . . .yes . . . . but otherwise just invest in linesmen with 20/20 vision and professional referees.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's utter shite.

Steve Bruce (despite benefiting today) has just said that it's a complete nonsense and that PL managers should come together to oppose it.

I completely agree with the squashed nosed Wedding groupie.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This handball rule has ruined football. Simple.

I should not be watching football and feeling sick in my stomach at the end of games as team after team are getting shafted with utter nonsense rules and decisions.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If VAR was used in a way that corrects very clear and obvious errors then people would generally be fine with it. A player being 1/2 yard offside as opposed to 1/2 inch.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Get rid of this and VAR - both ruining football IMHO

Now they have stopped looking for attackers toenails being millimetres forward of defenders armpits, VAR has been greatly improved.

However, as seen this weekend, VAR and the rules are still not aligned. Pitch side monitors should be showing things no slower than half speed and every slo-mo should be immediately followed by full speed from the same angle.

"Clear and Obvious" ... If you can't tell that you got it wrong without clicking forward frame by frame it was NOT clear and Obvious, it was in fact, bloody difficult to see! And have a time limit... If you can't tell within 15s either then it wasn't obvious (and speeding things up will make it less intrusive).

We definitely need a return to the original handball rules otherwise it is going to be games.

They can fix this in much the same way Offside seems to have been fixed.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Credit to Steve Bruce His side gained but still said it was a joke. You just cant carry on giving penalty just for hitting arm. What will come soon is a player dribbling towards defender and flicking ball to his arm.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sorry but no.
They cleared it up so accidental handballs for strikers are now not handball but they make it ridiculous to defend. Your be giving 2/3 penalties a game if it carries on.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's a crap rule, but a lot of the melodramatic 'Football is dead, RIP' is a little OTT.

Things will change, they always do.

Well they changed again this season how’s that one working out?

Sorry don’t trust these jokers to make any positive changes they just don’t understand the game. We will just get more diagrams and long definitions of text when what we actually need is a more simple definition.

I actually likes Roys yesterday it’s almost like having a football persons input into how to simplify a law might be the answer

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well they changed again this season how’s that one working out?

Sorry don’t trust these jokers to make any positive changes they just don’t understand the game. We will just get more diagrams and long definitions of text when what we actually need is a more simple definition.

I actually likes Roys yesterday it’s almost like having a football persons input into how to simplify a law might be the answer

The one positive is something we all clamour for.... consistency.

In the past, it was referee interpretation. Some you'd get, some would go against you and the ref's parent situation questioned.

This way, if it happens, it's a penalty. More excitement, as Grand Sounds said.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
fleet;9527350It is a stupid rule - must be changed now not at the end of the season! How are you meant to defend now? .[/QUOTE said:
Trouble is that you can't stop the rule now as some teams have fallen foul with it , so other team will be seen to have gained an advantage. It shouldn't have been touched imo but isn't it a FIFA not FA rule.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The one positive is something we all clamour for.... consistency.

In the past, it was referee interpretation. Some you'd get, some would go against you and the ref's parent situation questioned.

This way, if it happens, it's a penalty. More excitement, as Grand Sounds said.

I’m not seeing consistency I am still seeing interpretation. Take the Connelly penalty another day another ref and that is a different decision. Even with the t-shirt diagrams and endless replays the referee has still incorrectly awarded a penalty to Newcastle today. I don’t find it more exciting having all of these overly analysed decisions in the game in the pursuit of a level of perfection that is not possible or required.

All that this is being proved is the solution has caused a bigger problem than the one it was trying to solve.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I’m not seeing consistency I am still seeing interpretation. Take the Connelly penalty another day another ref and that is a different decision. Even with the t-shirt diagrams and endless replays the referee has still incorrectly awarded a penalty to Newcastle today. I don’t find it more exciting having all of these overly analysed decisions in the game in the pursuit of a level of perfection that is not possible or required.

All that this is being proved is the solution has caused a bigger problem than the one it was trying to solve.

The incident to which you are referring is a whole different kettle of fish.

My comment was aimed the current handball/penalty law.

According to the present laws, Dier conceded a penalty.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Utter nonsense the way the rule is applied. The handball rule is at the foundation of the game . However, we used to have a sensible provision that it had to “deliberate “. The referee had discretion to judge . Of course some decisions were moaned about but the rule was good.
By taking that away from defenders the numpties running this game have made it impossible. They say the arm has to be in a natural position which seems to be straight at your sides at all times. I question that . To keep balance when running and turning one raises the arms, it’s natural .
Also , when a defender leaps in the air , as Maupay did yesterday it is natural to raise the arm, it just happens
Discretion has to be restored !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here