Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tax Payer funding for EFL cubs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks El Pres.

So who in their right mind would sanction government money to bail out these business who clearly don't operate effectively?

The government is refusing to bail out the clubs, they’ve pushed that responsibility to the Premier League.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
No doubt a number of the usual suspects will disagree but it’s something in the last few days I’ve discussed with a number of football supporting friends.

There’s talk of Government bailouts, ie taxpayers money, as EFL clubs enter financial meltdown connected with the Covid Pandemic, but should the state really prop up businesses that weren’t run properly before Covid?

A plethora of clubs have lived beyond their means for years, chasing success they couldn’t simply afford, regardless of Covid is it right they they get help in front of other businesses that did operate within their means before the pandemic?

As a tax payer I have no qualms with financially viable football clubs being helped at this time, but would you rather see HM Government help Debenhams survive rather than an effectively insolvent championship club with a huge wage bill they couldn’t really afford prior to lockdown?

Meh, if Banks were considered 'to big to fail' then football clubs certainly are as well.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
With all PL league clubs having a min income of £100/150m whilst may not agree with it can understand how players earn huge wages. Championship clubs with incomes of 15/25m will soon be in trouble if in so many cases they pay PL wages. The salary cap in Div 1/2 coming in will hopefully help but a lot of those cubs on gates of 3/5000 have been paying £3/4k a week .Madness at that level.
As far as non league level is concerned . Many years ago I played at this level and we just got our expenses. and until things improve it should revert to this. This may help loyalty factor because all that happens at end of every season now is players move on to who will pay them most.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the Premier League teams will get through this but before the game at any level goes near to asking the government for money they top players are going to have to take a wage cut. That said it probably won't happen so they won't get any money.

Below Premier League level it is soon going to get messy.

On a positive note I got the impression from Talksport last week that proposals are in hand for a significant cash handout/loan to the EFL clubs, organised within the game.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With all PL league clubs having a min income of £100/150m whilst may not agree with it can understand how players earn huge wages. Championship clubs with incomes of 15/25m will soon be in trouble if in so many cases they pay PL wages. The salary cap in Div 1/2 coming in will hopefully help but a lot of those cubs on gates of 3/5000 have been paying £3/4k a week .Madness at that level.
As far as non league level is concerned . Many years ago I played at this level and we just got our expenses. and until things improve it should revert to this. This may help loyalty factor because all that happens at end of every season now is players move on to who will pay them most.

I thought this would make all non league clubs press the restart button, but I was covering a local game the other day and heard about certain clubs in the County League still paying out 'big money' for teams to play in front of one man and his dog.

As Joan Baez once sung "When will they ever learn?"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I thought this would make all non league clubs press the restart button, but I was covering a local game the other day and heard about certain clubs in the County League still paying out 'big money' for teams to play in front of one man and his dog.

As Joan Baez once sung "When will they ever learn?"

This runs throughout football, at every level. It’s why football is such a mess. As soon as you put rules in place, someone outflanks them and is allowed to furthermore. Perhaps if football is allowed to visit hell in a handcart, it might persuade more clubs at every level to live within their means. With meaningful relegulation and meaningful punishments for those that make a mockery of eg FFP and such like. Until then, clubs just going to have to go bust and be turned into housing. When the greedy ******** at the higher end realise they’re got no one to play then maybe they’ll listen then. Until then, we need probably approaching 80% of clubs to declare bankruptcy for things to change!! And even then, LOL!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
How well run does a club have to be to meet all it's outgoings when the government has stopped it's main income stream from fans? This against a background of additional costs for testing and safety measures to play matches with nobody there. Debenhams were mentioned early doors. At least people can go there and spend if they wish. They can't go to watch and support their club because of a government directive, so those clubs need government support in my opinion. I have no idea how far down the pyramid it should go. On the other hand, a matching support scheme with the Premier League could have legs. Although how much has the EFL and the FA done to help clubs financially? I don't know. But I feel sure that if everyone does nothing, communities will lose their clubs and the football results show will be shorter than the comments about Albion on MOTD when we play a top six club.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It concerns me that all the PL clubs are being bundled together in this exercise when there is disparity amongst the income and spending of those clubs.

You can't lump our financially astute club that does not spend 50m+ on players nor pay the first team squad over 100K a week with the clubs owned by countries and the basket case clubs like Spurs who can afford to pay Bale 250K a week or palace paying ridiculous sums for sub-quality players.

Even though Mr Chairman controls our spending very well, we still made a 20m loss despite our financial constraints.

The clubs who pay the 50m+ transfer fees and pay players over 100K a week should be the ones bailing out the EFL clubs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How well run does a club have to be to meet all it's outgoings when the government has stopped it's main income stream from fans? This against a background of additional costs for testing and safety measures to play matches with nobody there. Debenhams were mentioned early doors. At least people can go there and spend if they wish. They can't go to watch and support their club because of a government directive, so those clubs need government support in my opinion. I have no idea how far down the pyramid it should go. On the other hand, a matching support scheme with the Premier League could have legs. Although how much has the EFL and the FA done to help clubs financially? I don't know. But I feel sure that if everyone does nothing, communities will lose their clubs and the football results show will be shorter than the comments about Albion on MOTD when we play a top six club.

The EFL can’t help the clubs financially, as it is the clubs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do like the idea that the PL have 'saved' parachute payments to Fulham & West Brom so perhaps that money could be used for at least L1 / L2 'care package'

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It concerns me that all the PL clubs are being bundled together in this exercise when there is disparity amongst the income and spending of those clubs.

You can't lump our financially astute club that does not spend 50m+ on players nor pay the first team squad over 100K a week with the clubs owned by countries and the basket case clubs like Spurs who can afford to pay Bale 250K a week or palace paying ridiculous sums for sub-quality players.

Even though Mr Chairman controls our spending very well, we still made a 20m loss despite our financial constraints.

The clubs who pay the 50m+ transfer fees and pay players over 100K a week should be the ones bailing out the EFL clubs.

Trouble is, what legal mechanism overrides established contract law in the UK? Each player has a legally enforceable contract. There is no way of saying, as an example, every player over £1.5m per year has to take a 10% paycut (or whatever) to bail out the EFL. There is nothing in law apart from taxation that could make this happen.

So the government could bring into law a blanket £million+ salary tax, so that millionaires across the country pay extra tax in this time of crisis. You then calculate how much of that came from footballers and stick that into the EFL and non league pots. From the rest of society it could go into further furlough schemes / NHS etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here