Tiny Wharton must be spinning in his grave :lol:

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_f3a86964-fa60-11e8-83e5-4dc2d31f2a89.jpg

DpPhvT5XUAUQwxA.jpeg

unnamed.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Shit happens. On another day 2 or 3 of our chances would have gone in. As we lost I think we needEd to find someone to blame.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Shit happens. On another day 2 or 3 of our chances would have gone in. As we lost I think we needEd to find someone to blame.

Whether we took our chances or not are besides the point.

We’re not discussing blame. Talking about inherent bias in the media (think no one disputes that?) and whether there’s subconscious bias in some officials.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Whether we took our chances or not are besides the point.

We’re not discussing blame. Talking about inherent bias in the media (think no one disputes that?) and whether there’s subconscious bias in some officials.

No I don’t think there is.

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
Unfortunately I see encouraging refs to look again at decisions by the pitch side gives them a chance to favour the top six to our disadvantage. I have always felt VAR evened things out, but the pitch side review allows the on field ref to get back in on the decision. I still bloody love VAR, but not the pitch side version.

I had thought VAR evened things out, but thinking about yesterday’s game (albeit with my blue and white tinted specs on) it makes a great disparity between the result of identical challenges inside and outside the box.

The challenge on Connolly was reviewed and the initial decision overturned and the yellow card for the challenger withdrawn as Connolly “initiated the contact” (whether or not that is a reason within the laws of the game is another debate!). Shaw went down in two challenges where he could have been considered to have initiated the contact and our players received yellow cards. These have not been reviewed and the cards will stand in the totting up for the season which could result in a match ban.

Using VAR to show up the divers is good but not so sure in some of these other situations.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As someone who's lived abroad for the last 16 years, it's inevitable from the media to focus on the historically bigger names for the widest appeal.

The EPL is a global product that's consumed in the majority by armchair / sports bar spectators who live thousands of miles away. I'm one.

As for referees and match officials, they're just doing their job, however badly. Bias? No.

'Home' decisions that Liverpool, Man United, etc. were awarded due to crowd pressure isn't there now because of no crowds and VAR overturning.

We'd be best off putting yesterday's freakish set of circumstances behind us, moving on and getting some sort of revenge in the Cup.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I keep thinking the thread title is:-

Big Team Biss

'Yeah fair enough'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I used to think it was big team crowd influence but since crowds aren’t there anymore I accept it’s just weak officials not having the cojones to play fair. Maybe they all support big teams. Having a ref from the City of one of the teams is unacceptable imo too. Imagine the fallout if there was a Brighton born ref in charge of one of our games favouring us

Perhaps there are two biases at play.

Home crowd pressure and exaggeration of incidents - temporarily eliminated.

The intimidation from some big club players/coaches in incidents - e.g. Fergie was a bully and quite deliberately orchestrated mass intimidation of refs at vital debatable incidents, Mourinho and his Chelsea players were cut of the same cloth.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Connolly’s pen wouldn’t have been overruled if it was Rashford, Hoops would of wound his neck in and said nothing....fact

Seems to me that refs are less inclined to award pens to players who are appealing for one before they've even hit the deck, like Connolly yesterday

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who's the big side, Spuds or Newcastle?

According to the space cadet tin hatters, it must be the Toon given today's pen ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A classic example last season when we beat Spurs 3-0. All the discussion was why Spurs played so badly.

Indeed. Spurs are a Big Club.

Or are they? ???

I agree the media is only interested in top 6 plus The Leeds, with reason, same as it ever was but I don't think this carries over in a meaningful way to the referees. It's very easy to see patterns that don't exist.

Just listening to Maureen on the radio. He's happy. :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. Spurs are a Big Club.

Or are they? ???

I agree the media is only interested in top 6 plus The Leeds, with reason, same as it ever was but I don't think this carries over in a meaningful way to the referees. It's very easy to see patterns that don't exist.

Just listening to Maureen on the radio. He's happy. :facepalm:

I’ve just mentioned M Dean on another thread, who was seen celebrating a Spurs goal. Bizarre especially as he’s a Tranmere fan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve just mentioned M Dean on another thread, who was seen celebrating a Spurs goal. Bizarre especially as he’s a Tranmere fan.

Sometimes, football simply brings an ejaculation of joy that can't be suppressed. The beautiful game. #emotional.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here