Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The timing at the end.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clive Thomas famously chalked off a Brazil "goal" in the 1978 World Cup when Zico headed in from a corner in the dying seconds. He allowed the corner to be taken, but blew for time whilst the ball was in flight and before it had crossed the line. Then he just walked off the pitch.

Shame that twunt Kavanagh didn't have the balls to do that.

[yt]S0JFuWqwFg4[/yt]

Just beat me to it. I think Thomas was a twunt for what he did, and he was called out for it at the time.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Not too bothered about whether it was 5mins or 5.3 mins or 6 mins. Since the Clive Thomas debacle, I thought the refs would allow for corners to be taken if the ball has gone out of play before time.

My biggest beef remains the penalties we weren't given.

Rules say additional time only allowed for penalty kicks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think it was a simple case (rightly or wrongly) of 'I need to add a bit onto the 5 for the goal, I'll let them take the corner - as soon as it's headed in or cleared I'll blow'. Unfortunately Maupay stuck his hand up forcing another decision.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not too bothered about whether it was 5mins or 5.3 mins or 6 mins. Since the Clive Thomas debacle, I thought the refs would allow for corners to be taken if the ball has gone out of play before time.

My biggest beef remains the penalties we weren't given.

Every ex player pundit has said the Pogba challenge on Connolly was a penalty. It's what strikers are taught to do. Only Hooper and the M Utd loving reporters saying different. 100% guaranteed up the other end the penalty decision would have stood

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Think it was a simple case (rightly or wrongly) of 'I need to add a bit onto the 5 for the goal, I'll let them take the corner - as soon as it's headed in or cleared I'll blow'. Unfortunately Maupay stuck his hand up forcing another decision.

In the cold light of day it’s definitely partly this.

I’m still not over yesterday though.

I do think there’s a big club bias even if it’s subconsciously so. There’s just no way we’d have time to take that corner if roles were reversed and we were at old Trafford. That corner would not be happening. That’s what I find abhorrent.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I do think there’s a big club bias even if it’s subconsciously so. There’s just no way we’d have time to take that corner if roles were reversed and we were at old Trafford. That corner would not be happening. That’s what I find abhorrent.

Agreed.......whistle goes before the corner if roles are reversed. The Fergie legacy lives on (‘I’d better let them take the corner otherwise he’ll be in my face ranting’)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
From what I have been reading today, the rules allow extra time at referees discretion.. so it’s his discretion He does not have to justify it

At the end of the day i would imagine all the rules were adhered to the letter but how much time was added on after the suggested 5 minuutes by a referree from Manchester who seemed intent on continuing until United scored leaves a bad taste in the mouth for Brighton fans. The United fans on Facebook & Twitter seem to consider we were by far the better team and deserved all three points but the game is not over untill the final whistle, any infringement ie Maupays handball (no one is disputing it was handball) and a penalty kick can be played. If Bruno had made Ryan save, the game would have been over if any shot from the rebound scored it would not have counted.

Their summary of the incident seems pretty fair and had we been in the same position we would have been saying similar. The only bit what wrankles with me is how long did the ref want to give United to score which in its own entirety in a contentious issue.

Time to move on IMHO we played so well and deserved all three points, on another day it could have been 7 - 3 . Potters interview after the game was superb, we are lucky to have him as a manager.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we scored 4:30ish into 5 minutes of added time, then surely there should only be c30 seconds of play remaining, even if we'd taken 15 minutes celebrating our equaliser.

Yes, yes I know it's "a minimum of..." but I can't recall anything happening in those 4 minutes 30 seconds that would have warranted any extra at all.

I suspect Kavanagh had wanted to blow around the time of the corner but, when the corner was given, decided to let it come across before blowing up - "What's the worst that could happen?"

He don’t blow at the corner because he’d have got a few verbals from the Man Utd superstars. Bottle job coward.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
And lo and behold, not one second extra added to the 5 minutes additional in the Leeds v Sheff Utd game despite a sub in those 5 minutes. Refs are incompetent fools. Timekeeping HAS to be taken out of the hands of these buffoons.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we scored 4:30ish into 5 minutes of added time, then surely there should only be c30 seconds of play remaining, even if we'd taken 15 minutes celebrating our equaliser.

Yes, yes I know it's "a minimum of..." but I can't recall anything happening in those 4 minutes 30 seconds that would have warranted any extra at all.

I suspect Kavanagh had wanted to blow around the time of the corner but, when the corner was given, decided to let it come across before blowing up - "What's the worst that could happen?"

I think Martial was subbed off, but can’t remember if it was before or after our goal.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think Martial was subbed off, but can’t remember if it was before or after our goal.

It was on 90+1, so before the equaliser. My Man U supporting mate reckons the additional additional time was all down to the length of time Martial took to leave the field (should he have been booked if he was really that slow?).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It was on 90+1, so before the equaliser. My Man U supporting mate reckons the additional additional time was all down to the length of time Martial took to leave the field (should he have been booked if he was really that slow?).

Ref's should enforce the leave by the closest touch line rule a lot more, certainly in injury time to curb the slow walk off when we are winning tactic.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And lo and behold, not one second extra added to the 5 minutes additional in the Leeds v Sheff Utd game despite a sub in those 5 minutes. Refs are incompetent fools. Timekeeping HAS to be taken out of the hands of these buffoons.

not only that, at 2-3 seconds before the extra 5 minutes had elapsed, a ball over the top of the Leeds defence was played with McBurnie and Sharpe, after it. The very second it hit 5 mins with SU in a good attacking position and ball in play. Ref blew.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
not only that, at 2-3 seconds before the extra 5 minutes had elapsed, a ball over the top of the Leeds defence was played with McBurnie and Sharpe, after it. The very second it hit 5 mins with SU in a good attacking position and ball in play. Ref blew.

Good point. I've said it so often, so much of being a ref is a really really difficult job but they all seem to make such a hash of the easiest part - starting and stopping their watch. I'll never understand it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes, the sub was Man U deliberately wasting time in the "time honoured" way, which must make it all the more galling that they got the winner in the time added on for their own time wasting.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I think as a rule of thumb "30 seconds for a sub, and 30 seconds for a goal" is about right, but that doesn't mean you add an additional 30 seconds to whatever is already left - it considers the clock to be running throughout and not stopped.

In yesterday's example, it would mean :"finish the game at 90 + 5'30", not at 90 + 5"

It dawned on me today that if the ref added 30 seconds to injury time because of our equalizer then why didn’t we get 30 seconds to try and score after the penalty. If the game is over, then there’s no need to give the penalty. If it’s not over time needs to be added on by his logic.

Anyway, to summarize, I’m still bitter.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I have often pondered this; you would like to think that this doesn't exist, and the chap over the road -an avid Spurs fan -would deny this is the case, as he says they have had some absolute xxxx reffing their games. But I do recall someone in the game last year telling of how when an unfashionable team got promotion to the PL, the ref didn't know them and just kept saying things like "foul from number 4" but called the regulars in the PL by their Christian names, so familiar was he with them. Whilst I don't think that refs enter the field thinking "right, I 'll ensure that the big boys win" you do wonder if subconsciously, bias does enter their decisions, however much they will vociferously deny it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here