Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter as a Coach

larus

Potter isn't Bielsa.

Start a thread when he has created something new in the world of football management. Copied by everyone all over the world.

Or maybe he is original. If so, how?

Serious question?

Maybe your problem is that you’ve missed what’s happened in football in the 16 years you’ve been away from your “rightful place”. Bielsaball is pressing and fitness. However, let’s see how he gets on by the end of the season. And, what happens when he leaves as this is his last year. Good luck with that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Also was very impressed by his comments at the end of the ManU match: other coaches would have lost their rag, but he remained a class apart, while clearly articulating his point.

Yes mate. if I was Albion manager being interviewed 5 mins after the game, I'd have made Mike Bassett football manager look like a shrinking violet.

Glad there's someone more mature than me in charge!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Potter isn't Bielsa.

Start a thread when he has created something new in the world of football management. Copied by everyone all over the world.

Serious question?

Not really serious though is it? In life, it's rarely the innovators that are successful as they can become slaves to their innovation. It's those who can quickly adapt and apply the innovation.
Originality means nothing. It's all in the execution of the strategy. Sure Potter is standing on the shoulder of giants, but there's nothing wrong with that if he is doing it well and continues to learn and adapt.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Not really serious though is it? In life, it's rarely the innovators that are successful as they can become slaves to their innovation. It's those who can quickly adapt and apply the innovation.
Originality means nothing. It's all in the execution of the strategy. Sure Potter is standing on the shoulder of giants, but there's nothing wrong with that if he is doing it well and continues to learn and adapt.

Originality is not nothing, it is everything. We would be still stuck living in caves if it were not for those, few, brilliant original thinkers in every generation.

I do agree that it often doesn't lead to individual success for those originators, though. That the adapters are usually those who reap the benefit.

And that is true for Marcelo, I think. He hasn't had much success at an individual level. Others have copied his ideas and reaped the rewards.

Maybe that will be true of Potter? I don't know. He seems a very good coach, don't get me wrong, and could have great success.

My point was just that he isn't Bielsa. He isn't a creative genius. And I think your reply implicitly accepts that, if you don't mind me saying...

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

Happy that he is our coach

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Originality is not nothing, it is everything. We would be still stuck living in caves if it were not for those, few, brilliant original thinkers in every generation.

I do agree that it often doesn't lead to individual success for those originators, though. That the adapters are usually those who reap the benefit.

And that is true for Marcelo, I think. He hasn't had much success at an individual level. Others have copied his ideas and reaped the rewards.

Maybe that will be true of Potter? I don't know. He seems a very good coach, don't get me wrong, and could have great success.

My point was just that he isn't Bielsa. He isn't a creative genius. And I think your reply implicitly accepts that, if you don't mind me saying...

Yeah, Bielsa 'made' Ben White.
**** off with your ridiculous posts.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

No need to start an argument then. We're happy with Potter, and you're obviously happy with Bielsa. And that probably goes for 99% of BHA fans (and 99% of Leeds fans). We've both got managers we admire. It's fascinating watching how both teams are progressing. Let's all enjoy it, and not waste time trying to create division.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Wait till Potter is the same age as Bielsa... Potter will be a better coach... You know it, I know it, Leeds will be begging for Potter soon just like you were with White... We are the Teachers, you are the Pupils... You will do well to remember that!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Using the phrase 'creative genius' in the context of football is just ****ing ludicrous

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Potter isn't Bielsa.

Serious question?

I thought you didn’t care about us but here you still are months later boring everyone with your endless attempts to convince an opposition fan base to join your creepy cult like obsession with a fat old bloke in a tracksuit. Very needy you Leeds boys aren’t you desperate for a bit of attention and praise.

If we give you a cookie and a pat on the head will you **** off permanently?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Bielsa is a pensioner heading towards the twilight of his career and until he became Leeds manager lets face it no-one had ever really heard of him. I certainly can't recall many coaches of foreign teams unless they've won significant amounts of titles and champions leagues etc, his tenure as Argentina manager didn't register on my footballing radar His long career is one of underwhelming underachievement without ever really filling trophy cabinets. The usual Leeds fan boys and girls regularly serve up that Bielsa is revered by other successful managers and has a mythical godlike status within the game but frankly that's all just Yorkshire tinted myth and bluster. He's not a bad coach but certainly from what I've seen no better than Potter. Leeds getting all excited having beaten Fulham and Sheff Utd, 2 teams destined for bottom 6 in the PL this season. Lets see where Leeds are come Xmas...I suspect the lofty heights they currently occupy will be the nadir of their season. Looking forward to beating Leeds and giving them a schooling.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As soon as Mr Potter was appointed and I read something of his background etc, already being aware of him and some of his achievements, I was fairly confident that it would work. But how we have played this season so far has exceeded any expectations i had enormously. It's tremendous. :albion2:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Bielsa is a pensioner heading towards the twilight of his career and until he became Leeds manager lets face it no-one had ever really heard of him. I certainly can't recall many coaches of foreign teams unless they've won significant amounts of titles and champions leagues etc, his tenure as Argentina manager didn't register on my footballing radar His long career is one of underwhelming underachievement without ever really filling trophy cabinets. The usual Leeds fan boys and girls regularly serve up that Bielsa is revered by other successful managers and has a mythical godlike status within the game but frankly that's all just Yorkshire tinted myth and bluster. He's not a bad coach but certainly from what I've seen no better than Potter. Leeds getting all excited having beaten Fulham and Sheff Utd, 2 teams destined for bottom 6 in the PL this season. Lets see where Leeds are come Xmas...I suspect the lofty heights they currently occupy will be the nadir of their season. Looking forward to beating Leeds and giving them a schooling.

A lofty height can't be a nadir. :D

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Agree with a lot of that but having gone to Europe once and had success there, I suspect he may not be as adverse to going elsewhere in Europe as some English Managers you could think of ???

Let's hope it's not a problem for a few years yet

He’s talking rubbish there.......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I am struggling to see your point here. What has Bielsa done at Leeds that other managers of Championship teams haven’t already done? You have spent north of 90 million pounds on a number of journeymen footballers. Come back at the end of the season when Bielsa has done more than any manager who has just spent 90 million shouldn’t have done

Potter has changed the whole mentality of how our team plays and done it in a much much tougher division than the Championship (which is Bielsa’s only achievement in English football and not that impressive as it took two seasons). He has also done it with players, who until this season were not schooled in playing expansive football as played by top teams. We stank the division out at the end of the season before he arrived and were everyone’s favourites for the drop. What he is done for our playing style is much more impressive than what Bielsa has done with Leeds ...so far.

There is nothing about what Bielsa is doing or has done that rates him as a creative genius, unless he is also doing the accounts at Leeds :smile:

Come back when you actually have something to crow about, and maybe try and do it without sounding like a wannabe intellectual....please?

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Are you still here. If we wanted to talk about your manager we’d go to a Leeds site surely ?
It was amusing listening to a few of yours crying over Ben White but that’s finished now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here