Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter as a Coach

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
When we consider how this season has started my only conclusion is how good Potter is as a coach. We have played 5 matches and looked creative and attacking in all 5 games, we have a squad who play a drilled style which they now all seem to understand. We have switched from a back 4 to a back 5 which has helped play to our strengths but the way our players have performed within that is a credit to Potter and the coaching set up.

I'm very excited for the season ahead

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I always thought if we get through the first season and he gets a few players in, we’ll be dangerous. He seems one of the better coaches in the prem for sure.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes. Our attacking play is exceptional.

Tactically he is simply brilliant. However, he can’t be happy conceding goals from set pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always thought if we get through the first season and he gets a few players in, we’ll be dangerous. He seems one of the better coaches in the prem for sure.

Damning with faint praise. :lol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He appears to be so good (Excellent even) all round that our biggest problem will be keeping him.
I think all the players he has identified as capable of playing his style of football have improved and will continue to improve. Sad that we can’t watch them live but many more people will now see that we are becoming a force in this league.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The end of season position will be the final judge, but right now I cannot think of anyone I would prefer to be in situ.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Doing a good job. Taken risks with style (Guardiola openly admired Potter, saying that it is a much harder to play this way without the superstars of Man C) and personnel.

He has a slice of luck with Ben White fitting in perfectly to a back 3 and Lamptey popping up to fit the RHS of the 5, but must take credit for trusting and nurturing Solly into LWB position with such authority. Alzate is a revelation too.

It seems there is more to do with game management - 3 points lost already from winning position this season, 16 last season - and defending set pieces, but it is good to watch and should be successful.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Whilst the result was disappointing, the way we played was astonishing, and will have been seen globally. Any potential striker target would probably now be quite excited about being linked with us. Im firmly in the Potter camp.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes. Our attacking play is exceptional.

Tactically he is simply brilliant. However, he can’t be happy conceding goals from set pieces.

It was their only corner of the game.

We only made 2 subs. I wonder if Potter will reflect after the equaliser not wasting a bit of time and immediately brining Burn on? Might be one thing he thinks about doing differently next time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd Eden a guess Potter's stature as a coach is easily explained by listing the teams who wish they had him.

I can hear random chairman x exclaiming:-

'You want £42m for a midfielder...

...Can't you just buy one from Orient?'

:lol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was their only corner of the game.

We only made 2 subs. I wonder if Potter will reflect after the equaliser not wasting a bit of time and immediately brining Burn on? Might be one thing he thinks about doing differently next time.

Yes, but the first was a set-piece as well, where we switched off and Matic got round the back.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He appears to be so good (Excellent even) all round that our biggest problem will be keeping him.
I think all the players he has identified as capable of playing his style of football have improved and will continue to improve. Sad that we can’t watch them live but many more people will now see that we are becoming a force in this league.

I don't think that will be a problem. The big 4 clubs won't be interested in him.
His CV is about improving young/lower league players. Not managing superstar egos.

Any clubs likely to make a bid for him at the moment, will not be offering the facilities or quality of senior management support that we do,
The only way he will get on anyone else's radar, is if we get into Europa League positions.
At which point his head would only be turned by someone like Spurs/wolves/Everton offering better money, which we will be able to match/better at that point.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think that will be a problem. The big 4 clubs won't be interested in him.
His CV is about improving young/lower league players. Not managing superstar egos.

Any clubs likely to make a bid for him at the moment, will not be offering the facilities or quality of senior management support that we do,
The only way he will get on anyone else's radar, is if we get into Europa League positions.
At which point his head would only be turned by someone like Spurs/wolves/Everton offering better money, which we will be able to match/better at that point.

Agree with a lot of that but having gone to Europe once and had success there, I suspect he may not be as adverse to going elsewhere in Europe as some English Managers you could think of ???

Let's hope it's not a problem for a few years yet

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree with a lot of that but having gone to Europe once and had success there, I suspect he may not be as adverse to going elsewhere in Europe as some English Managers you could think of ???

Let's hope it's not a problem for a few years yet

Yeah that's a decent point, but again which European teams would be looking to take a punt on him?
I think the environment that we are offering our managers, makes it very difficult for another club to poach them from us.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I completely agree. The majority of clubs at this level have zero patience and live on the perpetual big name roundabout, hiring and firing international egos and drama queens in the main. Potter is about as far removed from that as you can get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here