Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter as a Coach

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
For the first time in the Prem I now have an air of confidence that we might get something in every game we play - even away.

Well done G.Potter and the lads:albion2:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Originality is not nothing, it is everything. We would be still stuck living in caves if it were not for those, few, brilliant original thinkers in every generation.

I do agree that it often doesn't lead to individual success for those originators, though. That the adapters are usually those who reap the benefit.

And that is true for Marcelo, I think. He hasn't had much success at an individual level. Others have copied his ideas and reaped the rewards.

Maybe that will be true of Potter? I don't know. He seems a very good coach, don't get me wrong, and could have great success.

My point was just that he isn't Bielsa. He isn't a creative genius. And I think your reply implicitly accepts that, if you don't mind me saying...
I don't have much to say on this thread, just wanted to add that whenever I read your posts I can't help but picture Joey Barton

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
He has created football played as a system, not a formation.

This isn't perfect, but it goes some way to explaining it.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-profiles-bielsas-leeds/

I don't buy that. Tactics aren't what makes Bielsa great. He's openly admitted to trying to emulate both Sacchi and Van Gaal in terms of tactical fluidity and formation. Sure he does his research and looks for weaknesses, but any coaching team worth there salt does that in the modern day.

What Bielsa does well in my opinion is build a culture of team improvement. He gets everyone (who buys his vision) together and gets them to want to push themselves hard to improve. He does this with attacking football which galvanises the fanbase. In that respect there is a lot of similarity to Potter in my opinion albeit one is at the early stages of his career and one the later.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Originality is not nothing, it is everything. We would be still stuck living in caves if it were not for those, few, brilliant original thinkers in every generation.

I do agree that it often doesn't lead to individual success for those originators, though. That the adapters are usually those who reap the benefit.

And that is true for Marcelo, I think. He hasn't had much success at an individual level. Others have copied his ideas and reaped the rewards.

Maybe that will be true of Potter? I don't know. He seems a very good coach, don't get me wrong, and could have great success.

My point was just that he isn't Bielsa. He isn't a creative genius. And I think your reply implicitly accepts that, if you don't mind me saying...

There are tedious wankers, very tedious wankers and then there is you. Do you get some perverted sexual gratification posting the crap that you do?

BTW, the magic that is a Bielsa ball was missing against a shockingly poor sheff Utd. Emperors new clothes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
For once you're actually correct, that must give you a warm smug glow inside, I was thinking of the opposite of nadir obviously, got my words muddled up. Well done you, now piss off you nauseating bore.

That's OK we all muddle our words up, I do it myself all the time.

I am no astronomer but I think the opposite of nadir would be apogee. Or maybe zenith?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Not quite sure where you sit in the Amex but i have never heard Solly being booed.

Clearly there has been some level of frustration because the local lad, who we all wanted to see realise his potential, wasn't putting in consistent performances. That may have been down to Hughton when you look at how he has been totally transformed under Potter.

So let's give Potter and his team all the credit for helping March significantly improve; Solly is a totally different player now, and knock the nonsense about the "boo boys" on the head. It's never happened and it never would.

Lol. I sense that touched a nerve. I'll retract boo-boys and replace with boo-hoo boys. ;)

I'm only kidding. I'm just saying that SM has been playing well for some time IMO as a defensive wide player. Potter hasn't had to do much with him. He is clearly enjoying his football atm, long may that continue.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Wonder what Tony was thinking when he gave Potter another two years on his four year contract after just a couple of months? People of which I am one have been banging on about us actually having a plan and what we might be seeing is the deployment of said plan. Young very good progressive coach? Tick. Top class DOF? Tick Top class recruitment and statistical analysis team? Tick Actual strategy for signings rather than knee jerk reaction? Tick Buying young players to try and get ahead of the curve? Tick.

We are evolving into Leverkensen/Ajax/Lyon type club as per the management plan. Will we have setbacks? No doubt but this is just the beginning I think. Potter seems to be exactly what such a strategy needs a coach who makes players better and who is not afraid to blood youngsters. We in the moneyball stage I guess so some of these lads will go for top dollar but as long as the back of house team stays at the level it is that will not adversely affect the process.

If we can get to the sort of level those european clubs are that is probably the best we can ever hope for but I'd settle for regular european football with the odd cup thrown in :lolol:

Clearly he isnt on the training ground coaching the players but it's certainly clear to me that this was TBs plan all along. If I can make a business analogy here I suspect that in his eyes Brighton and Hove Albion is roughly at the same juncture as his business career was when he sold Premier Bet to Victor Chandler. TB had already thought three steps ahead and knew it was a stepping stone to his real fortune and more importantly all part of the plan.The above quote is just as clear an articulation of the expected progression and hopefully likely outcome.

The two final pieces of the jigsaw as I see them are financial sustainability - most likely to be achieved by realisation of the Monk's Farm development - and footballing success hopefully realised within the next 5 years via a European journey or two.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Clearly he isnt on the training ground coaching the players but it's certainly clear to me that this was TBs plan all along. If I can make a business analogy here I suspect that in his eyes Brighton and Hove Albion is roughly at the same juncture as his business career was when he sold Premier Bet to Victor Chandler. TB had already thought three steps ahead and knew it was a stepping stone to his real fortune and more importantly all part of the plan.The above quote is just as clear an articulation of the expected progression and hopefully likely outcome.

The two final pieces of the jigsaw as I see them are financial sustainability - most likely to be achieved by realisation of the Monk's Farm development - and footballing success hopefully realised within the next 5 years via a European journey or two.

Good post. I must admit I'd not considered the Monks Farm element. As you correctly point out that will push us along towards financial self sufficiency it may be that the hotel is also comes back into play post COVID. He's a very shrewd man is Tony Bloom

Right staff and bridging the income gap are the two essential pillars of a plan to sustain a successful PL experience. Many a club has acquired a good team but been unable to sustain it because the finances didn't match the playing ambition.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here