Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maguire Header

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why was Maupay the player for us who had to challenge Maguire
Should it not have been one of our centre halves?
I know it was their first corner of the game but come on lads

Was it a zonal thing? Ie our centre backs lining up on the 6 yard box, whereas as slabhead was set back

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Sorry, I can't agree. We still had three central defenders on the field and Maguire is their best header of a ball. Poor game management, and not for the first time this season.
Exactly. And their other centre half, Lindelof, was being marked by Pascal Gross.

You wouldn't see that sort of stupidity in park football.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When I watched it back on Match of the Day you could see how flustered they all were, Dunk looking and pointing all over the place. Every player was in the box and really they had a lot of big guys and we don't have many. You could tell Dunk knew we were out-matched.

At that point in the game, apart from the back 3, the rest of our side was Lamptey, March, Alzate, Gross, Maupay, Trossard, Jahanbakhsh - generally short and attacking minded, and not known for being great in the air nor that experienced at defending corners. You can argue that this is where we miss having Murray and Stephens (can point to first goal as well) and Bissouma would have helped. Alzate is pretty tall isn't he and will develop his aerial game in time.

We simply couldn't match them up - they had a lot of big guys at the near post and they suckered in our big guys, and Maguire spun to the back and got a free header. Still wouldn't have scored without that lucky brush off Maupay's hand.

I'm sure Potter has had plenty of time to dwell on bringing on Burn for Maupay or Trossard immediately after the goal, but I guess top managers don't get to this level by spending too much time on what-ifs. All part of the learning curve.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
When I watched it back on Match of the Day you could see how flustered they all were, Dunk looking and pointing all over the place. Every player was in the box and really they had a lot of big guys and we don't have many. You could tell Dunk knew we were out-matched.

At that point in the game, apart from the back 3, the rest of our side was Lamptey, March, Alzate, Gross, Maupay, Trossard, Jahanbakhsh - generally short and attacking minded, and not known for being great in the air nor that experienced at defending corners. You can argue that this is where we miss having Murray and Stephens (can point to first goal as well) and Bissouma would have helped. Alzate is pretty tall isn't he and will develop his aerial game in time.

We simply couldn't match them up - they had a lot of big guys at the near post and they suckered in our big guys, and Maguire spun to the back and got a free header. Still wouldn't have scored without that lucky brush off Maupay's hand.

I'm sure Potter has had plenty of time to dwell on bringing on Burn for Maupay or Trossard immediately after the goal, but I guess top managers don't get to this level by spending too much time on what-ifs. All part of the learning curve.
A lot of big guys, really? We had 3 centre backs on the park and yet their 2 x centre backs were picked up by attackers. Inexcusable game management. I accept Matic is big but the rest of them? Nope.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Was it a zonal thing? Ie our centre backs lining up on the 6 yard box, whereas as slabhead was set back

Exactly. And their other centre half, Lindelof, was being marked by Pascal Gross.

You wouldn't see that sort of stupidity in park football.

Yeah, looks zonal by the back-3 with rest marking. Webster-Dunk-White are strung along the edge of the 6-yard box. Webster was near post, along with March and Alzate who have Matic, Rashford and Shaw to deal with. Dunk was on the edge of the 6-yard box near the penalty spot and White was at the far side of the 6-yard box. The cross was high and deep enough that White could easily have got there, but he doesn't make much of a move - if anything he moves towards the goal - Dunk makes more of an attempt to get to the cross but its too far away from him. I'm afraid that Maguire runs 10 yards to head the ball unchallenged from a spot no more than 2 yards away from where White was standing when the corner was taken.

I think we know from reports last season that this is the weakest part of White's game, and they'll no doubt be working on this on the training field

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
A lot of big guys, really? We had 3 centre backs on the park and yet their 2 x centre backs were picked up by attackers. Inexcusable game management. I accept Matic is big but the rest of them? Nope.

Lindelof and Magure both started very deep on the edge of the box. I don't know if its wise to put Dunk and Webster right out there, because then you've got Rashford, Matic, van de Beek, wan-Bissaka, Shaw and Bailly all attacking the 6-yard box. I guess thats why zonal marking is popular, because when you've got several players capable of getting on a cross its risky to focus on stopping just a couple of them.

But of course Maupay should not have been on Maguire - put Alzate or March there at least (they had Matic and de Beek) - or ideally Burn should have been on. Others are culpable - neither Ali J or Trossard track runners, they both just stay standing near the edge of the box. But ultimately the ball ended up within Whites 'zone' and he should have dealt with it. Back to the training pitch.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think we know from reports last season that this is the weakest part of White's game, and they'll no doubt be working on this on the training field

Well, how's that going to be possible FFS? The only person able to train White is Bielsa. Everybody knows that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yeah, looks zonal by the back-3 with rest marking. Webster-Dunk-White are strung along the edge of the 6-yard box. Webster was near post, along with March and Alzate who have Matic, Rashford and Shaw to deal with. Dunk was on the edge of the 6-yard box near the penalty spot and White was at the far side of the 6-yard box. The cross was high and deep enough that White could easily have got there, but he doesn't make much of a move - if anything he moves towards the goal - Dunk makes more of an attempt to get to the cross but its too far away from him. I'm afraid that Maguire runs 10 yards to head the ball unchallenged from a spot no more than 2 yards away from where White was standing when the corner was taken.

Not White’s greatest day, and I am sure he won’t get dumped to the ground twice in a couple of seconds by Rashford again. Zonal marking won’t be his fault. We are susceptible at set pieces, which is strange for a team with a coach of Potter’s credentials. Learning curve all round. Still didn’t take away the enjoyment of an all round wonderful performance by the team.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lindelof and Magure both started very deep on the edge of the box. I don't know if its wise to put Dunk and Webster right out there, because then you've got Rashford, Matic, van de Beek, wan-Bissaka, Shaw and Bailly all attacking the 6-yard box. I guess thats why zonal marking is popular, because when you've got several players capable of getting on a cross its risky to focus on stopping just a couple of them.

But of course Maupay should not have been on Maguire - put Alzate or March there at least (they had Matic and de Beek) - or ideally Burn should have been on. Others are culpable - neither Ali J or Trossard track runners, they both just stay standing near the edge of the box. But ultimately the ball ended up within Whites 'zone' and he should have dealt with it. Back to the training pitch.

Yes...not been overly impressed with his positional sense so far and this confirmed it. McGuire is clearly their main man at set pieces and to allow him virtually a free header was criminal. I felt much more confident of us defending set pieces when we had Dunk, Duffy and Murray. It seems now that we get pulled all over the place. Webster also needs some positional training. He loses focus too often.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just one of those random things that happen in football. Accept it and move on. Or go back to obsessing over Leeds :rolleyes:

This. FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here