Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maguire Header

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Why was Maupay the player for us who had to challenge Maguire
Should it not have been one of our centre halves?
I know it was their first corner of the game but come on lads

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh it was weird everyone seemed to just stand in no mans land and not go to mark him. Maupay would not have been meant to mark him 100%. I reckon it’s cos it was right and the death and quickly taken etc and there had been subs so players didn’t have a chance to think and remember who was picking who up. But yes, poor defending.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why was Maupay the player for us who had to challenge Maguire
Should it not have been one of our centre halves?
I know it was their first corner of the game but come on lads

Yes, said this in the ‘Things we Learnt’ thread.

But this is another reason why the Murray replacement is important, we are very dependent on the three CB’s now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It was poor game management and lack of concentration; mind was on we have a draw and game over; posters who want to lynch mob ref are missing the point.

Three times now we have conceded within seconds of scoring; might just be coincidence and a slice of bad fortune but we could easily be on 7 points now with some more focussed defending post scoring.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, hands on Dunks shoulder as the first ball came over then he seemed to push Dunk over to score

Hand on shoulder and kicks Dunk’s foot forward to nudge the ball over the line, but also unbalances him.
Clear as day to a decent referee. Shame we had ‘Hoops’ on VAR.

I think I dislike him more than CAUS now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes I absolutely agree but my point was the poor defending at the corner

I have a little bit of sympathy for us on that. They didn’t have a corner all game, we had no setup practice ahead of that first corner for them and 5 subs had been made. It was a perfect storm of scoring a dramatic equaliser and working out who was marking who.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree, hands on Dunks shoulder as the first ball came over then he seemed to push Dunk over to score

I almost started another "moaning about yesterday" thread for this.

Maguire holds Dunk down to prevent him cutting out the cross, I can't see that being overturned by VAR if the referee spots it and gives the foul, but is it a clear and obvious error to not give it?

I know, if we scored as many as hit the frame of the goal, none of this would matter and Potter will concentrate on those sorts of things, things he can directly improve, other managers in the division would be complaining loudly about the decisions that went against us yesterday.
But, does moaning about Refereeing by managers actually bring any benefit to the team or future results? Does building a sense of injustice in your team, rather than a sense that they let themselves down a bit by not taking the opportunities, have anymore benefit than shooting practice alone?

As a fan, I prefer the stance of take it on the chin and try and do better next time, at least publicly, as the likes of Steve Bruce, always whinging, gets right up my nose, but is it better for results, do referees try a bit harder to not be on the end of some criticism if they know the manager involved will definitely highlight any poor decisions?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, for their first goal. That seemed so obvious to me, I still can't understand how that wasn't the decision given that the goal was checked by VAR. Obvious foul.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I have a little bit of sympathy for us on that. They didn’t have a corner all game, we had no setup practice ahead of that first corner for them and 5 subs had been made. It was a perfect storm of scoring a dramatic equaliser and working out who was marking who.

Sorry, I can't agree. We still had three central defenders on the field and Maguire is their best header of a ball. Poor game management, and not for the first time this season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Brilliant header from Maguire I thought. Power and well directed. Solly again proving he was MOM off the line.

Then it unravelled

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Maguire is a nasty piece of work. I don't think he's particularly good, just big strong and a snide cheat. It's going well for him so far. . .Hopefully it won't last.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Maguire also has the unfair advantage that his head is five times bigger than a normal human being's.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The games not over until the final whistle .

Allegedly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here