Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Davy to pack up his clogs?

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
No. We havent seen Davy play in the more advanced position he was/is used for the Netherlands side. I've never really understood why Chris Hughton never tried him in a more forward role

This.

Proper has never looked comfortable position wise for us. When he has played more advanced he’s looked better placed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why does someone ALWAYS have to be got rid of?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm open to both.

If someone makes a good bid, fine, sell him, because he is not necessary.

If there's no good bid, fine, keep him, because he could still be useful.

This.
It would be a great motivator for the current midfield to have Propper itching to get on.
That said, if we can get our money back for him, I’d take it

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Coming back from injury, and with the team playing well will no doubt have to settle (for the time being) for a place on the bench (like Gross). However he will be required over the season, and now is not the time to move on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have been a big Propper fan but he does not seem quick witted enough to withstand top teams press and was responsible for goals against by losing the ball in quite a few goals we conceded last season. I was worried we wouldn’t be able to cope with United’s midfielders yesterday with Biss missing too, but the quick feet and mental agility of yesterday’s midfield was very impressive. Unless Davy is willing to be a bench player his days may well be numbered. How quickly things are changing at the Albion. Love it

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why does someone ALWAYS have to be got rid of?

For me it’s about business not football. Barber hasn’t been shy in mentioning how tight the finances are, with the prospect of no fans returning this season, it really is a critical time for the club financially.

I think that we are short on bodies up front as well as not having a player able to challenge Solly for the LWB role. In order to purchase or loan players that are of a ‘top 10’ quality, I believe we have to get some more money in from transfers.

I’ve explained how strong we are in centre midfield. In the current climate, I’d prefer £15m in the transfer kitty than Pröpper at the club. If he can’t command that sort of fee, then I’m more than happy to keep him. However, he was dropped for Stephens at the back end of last season and with Alzate & Biss stepping up and Molumby & Lallana looking good, he is actually struggling to get in the match-day squad, let alone team.

Would you take the £15m?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Personally i think Davy Propper is a top player who still has a key role to play this year. He is talented, skilful and fits into our new style of play. He is just going to have to be more consistent if he wants to get into the team regularly.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
It's a good problem to have. A sign of progress. Propper is a good player, very technical and skilful but also a little complacent. He is absolutely good enough for us, no question, but we should be satisfied to see he has slipped down the pecking order to players that fit the Potter style and it's up to him to get back in to contention. He was one of the few to publicly condemn Hughtonball so he should revel in this competition and I really hope he does.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me it’s about business not football. Barber hasn’t been shy in mentioning how tight the finances are, with the prospect of no fans returning this season, it really is a critical time for the club financially.

I think that we are short on bodies up front as well as not having a player able to challenge Solly for the LWB role. In order to purchase or loan players that are of a ‘top 10’ quality, I believe we have to get some more money in from transfers.

I’ve explained how strong we are in centre midfield. In the current climate, I’d prefer £15m in the transfer kitty than Pröpper at the club. If he can’t command that sort of fee, then I’m more than happy to keep him. However, he was dropped for Stephens at the back end of last season and with Alzate & Biss stepping up and Molumby & Lallana looking good, he is actually struggling to get in the match-day squad, let alone team.

Would you take the £15m?
It's kind of tough to plead poverty AND take a £4m punt on a Swiss second division player.

Davy isn't first choice, and hasn't played like he deserves to be, for the full calender year.

Yesterday's game does nothing for JM, so he needs to go on loan after Wednesday.

Davy is probably fourth choice behind Lallana, which, for the time being at least, makes him joint third.

I don't think 4 viable alternatives for 2 positions is decadent.
If anything it's the bare minimum.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
utter rubbish : at least i hope it is! ... it is all about strength in depth and Davy is a big part of that : hope he stays for at least two more years

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Rather see Molumby get more game time than Propper .

He couldn’t bring less to the table for the team

If there is money to be had for Propper then take it . It hasn’t worked

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don’t get me wrong.

Davy has been one of our best players in the Premier League era. But times are changing. Sadly, I don’t think he is quite top 10 quality due to a lack of goals and mobility. If that is where we want to go, it might be best for Davy to move on as he seems to have dropped down the midfield starting order by at least three places.

We need the money.

If it wasn’t for the fact that Ajax might offer us a good chunk of their Van De Beek loot, I may not be quite so keen on this. Mark my words, we have enough quality in the centre to let him go if it means filling the coffers up for a bid for the likes of Edouard or Sessegnon.

This is what Davy is up against:

Bissouma - Top six EPL quality. We are going to be hit with some very very big bids next Summer. A better Premier League player than Paul Pogba.

Alzate - Wow. Another season, another step up. Only Biss before him on the team-sheet in terms of midfielders. Easily top ten EPL quality.

Lallana - Absolute quality, whilst he lacks mobility, he is one step ahead of the play with his experience and his passing is so slick.

Molumby - A younger and much more mobile version of Stephens. He looks like having a huge future.

Sanders - Kind of like a cross between Alzate & Molumby. He showed against Preston that he may find the Championship too easy, I’d like to see him against Manure on Wednesday. A lovely forward passing midfielder with massive potential.

White - I’d love to see how he’d do at DM for us.

March - Didn’t embarrass himself as defensive midfielder when we beat Leicester 1-4 a few years ago.

The Dutchman has such sublime skill but I just think the time has come.

I'm not convinced about White and March in there. Add in that Molumby and Sanders are yet to play in the PL, that leaves just three players, one of whom will take a while before he can consistently play for 90 minutes. We'd probably need a replacement if Propper is moved on. I'd imagine that next summer might be a better time for a departure, but if the bid was large enough, we'd consider it this window. To add, Gross has played CM, and would be good cover.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not getting drawn into another Lallana debate but he is very injury prone. Not many of our central midfielders have 100 Premier league games under there belt.

Find myself agreeing with you more often than not, but certainly not re Propper.

Cant doubt his pedigree or that he's got 100 PL games, but do have to judge on his overall contribution and effectiveness for the team in the present and near past. The Propper in the past season is not a shadow of the player that first came here.

Why that is? manager, tactics, motivation, confidence, other? no idea, but he has gone from being pretty indispensable to not really offering much consistently at all.

Don't doubt he used to be really quite good, he just isnt consistent at all any more.

Would not miss him personally, if replaced.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Flattered to deceive for 2 years. One of the most overrated players in the EPL era. Please get rid! Team so much better without him!

Flatters to deceive is spot on. Really needs to convince a lot of fans this season that he is up to this standard. If not ship him out!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
For a player that's no good and needs to be shipped out because he's not up to PL standard he's sure did well to make 100 appearances in 3 seasons. Everyone around him in the midfield must be shattered from carrying him for that long.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Just no. We're already short in his position and he's one of our better players. Unless ridiculous money comes in and we have a replacement lined up. No way I would want him gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here