Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Davy to pack up his clogs?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Don’t get me wrong.

Davy has been one of our best players in the Premier League era. But times are changing. Sadly, I don’t think he is quite top 10 quality due to a lack of goals and mobility. If that is where we want to go, it might be best for Davy to move on as he seems to have dropped down the midfield starting order by at least three places.

We need the money.

If it wasn’t for the fact that Ajax might offer us a good chunk of their Van De Beek loot, I may not be quite so keen on this. Mark my words, we have enough quality in the centre to let him go if it means filling the coffers up for a bid for the likes of Edouard or Sessegnon.

This is what Davy is up against:

Bissouma - Top six EPL quality. We are going to be hit with some very very big bids next Summer. A better Premier League player than Paul Pogba.

Alzate - Wow. Another season, another step up. Only Biss before him on the team-sheet in terms of midfielders. Easily top ten EPL quality.

Lallana - Absolute quality, whilst he lacks mobility, he is one step ahead of the play with his experience and his passing is so slick.

Molumby - A younger and much more mobile version of Stephens. He looks like having a huge future.

Sanders - Kind of like a cross between Alzate & Molumby. He showed against Preston that he may find the Championship too easy, I’d like to see him against Manure on Wednesday. A lovely forward passing midfielder with massive potential.

White - I’d love to see how he’d do at DM for us.

March - Didn’t embarrass himself as defensive midfielder when we beat Leicester 1-4 a few years ago.

The Dutchman has such sublime skill but I just think the time has come.

Without a doubt, on current form, Bissouma and Alzate should be ahead of Propper. But even if people don't rate him, we would be very thin without him.

Bissouma top six quality? Hard to take your post seriously with hyperbole like that. He certainly has top 6 potential but 10 good games since the restart does not make him better than Pogba.

Lallana is insanely injury prone and his preferred position is as AM.

Sanders hasn't played above League 1. Not saying he doesn't have potential but a loan move to the Championship seems more likely.

White is a CB.

Sure, I guess March could play DM. Maybe Jason Steele could too?

Lack of goals? Out of interest, how are the scoring records of the other players you named?

PersianNYer15

Jul 25, 2018
New York/New Jersey
No way in hell is bissouma top 6 quality. I like him, he’s a fine player with great qualities but he also really lacks the reliability/IQ you want from a CM. Holds onto the ball too long that leads to costly turnovers.

Davy on the other hand is different - I think he is more consistent and keeps things simple (not flashy but able to see the right pass at the right time), always getting his job done. There’s a high value for those kinds of CMs who have that reliability aspect to them in a very crucial area of the pitch.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Davy has value behind our young future, much the same as Lallana does. Those 2 are ideal to rotate in with our 'future 3 or 4' as a midfield. Same with Gross.

I'd accept a huge bid for him, but anything around value then better to keep him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No way in hell is bissouma top 6 quality. I like him, he’s a fine player with great qualities but he also really lacks the reliability/IQ you want from a CM. Holds onto the ball too long that leads to costly turnovers.

Davy on the other hand is different - I think he is more consistent and keeps things simple (not flashy but able to see the right pass at the right time), always getting his job done. There’s a high value for those kinds of CMs who have that reliability aspect to them in a very crucial area of the pitch.

Stopped reading after your first paragraph as you clearly never actually watch us or know **** all about football. Or both.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Davy gives the ball away too much, can’t handle quick one touch passing, directly caused us goals last season, can’t head, can’t tackle and never scores. He occasionally makes a neat pass or a rare run forward and looks good. He may be a highlights player.

Biss can do everything Davy can do better, his scoring needs to improve, but you see Biss taking shots in most games. He will become an even stronger influence on the team, he’s not even close to his ceiling yet.

Is it really a contest between Davy and Biss? Come on. Look how well the team have been doing with no Propper this season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Yet Man City are closely keeping tabs on Biss :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To me it depends

If Davy is happy to be a 4th choice CM and if Tony hasn't got anything else he needs the (I would guess about) £8-9m for then keep him here. He'll get game time at some stage.

More likely, Davy will be thinking it's time to move on and Tony wouldn't say no to nearly £10m off the years losses

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Davy has been a great servant for the club for several seasons. Last season he looked good up until just before lockdown but then all of a sudden mistakes across the central midfield caused problems for us, with us shipping goals - especially when getting the ball out from the back. Remember at the same time Bissouma was being moaned at because his inconsistency and Stephens was just not the "all action figure" everyone expected of us? I am personally surprised that Davy does not play further up the pitch and his talents are not being put to use as they should be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Davy is a bit out of form at the moment, but frankly I don't think he'd have been offered a contract renewal recently if the club didn't think he had a future here. Players do drift in and out of form - it happens. Fine to discuss why this might be, but I don't see why we have talk about shipping them out when they are not at their best.

March, Jahanbakhsh, Webster, Trossard, Groß and Ryan have all drifted in and out of form over the past 18 months. I wouldn't rush to demand any of them got moved on. If Propper has got pair of bollocks, he'll realise no-one is an automatic inclusion, he'll fight for his place, and he'll come back an excellent player at some point in the next few weeks.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Wouldn't be surprised to see Propper and Bernado gone before the end of the window, It's got to the point they are offering nothing to the first team.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd be loathe to ask him to leave. I think we need him for strength in depth. Besides which, I'd like to see what he can do in an invigorated Albion line up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sell him now. Everyone knows any club only needs eleven players at any one time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
His first paragraph was very accurate. His potential is absolutely top 6 but he's not there yet.

It wasn’t accurate at all. The bit about him holding on to the ball too long and leading to turnovers of possession is absolute crap. And to be honest, he is ready for a top 6 side now too. He would improve all of their midfields except for Liverpool.

Bissouma has always been under rated on here by a lot of posters and clearly by you too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Last season you would’ve been correct, in the main. Because he was still an Albion work in progress.

But Bissouma has been improving fast - his decision making, defensive concentration, shooting, awareness of team mates, creativity. We’re lucky to have him, he’s only going to get better.

Whilst Spurs and Arsenal for example, have centre midfielders with issues, players criticised by fans and even the manager, players being shifted on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here