Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton on TV - COVID Times

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Probably a dumb couple of questions but here goes.... I’m genuinely interested in this and it goes beyond football too as a general question about TV.

Is the TV deal for the PL clubs this season the same as before (including worldwide rights)? Just wondering whether there is any effect of some advertisers potentially cutting budgets. Or are higher viewing figures having the opposite effect?

Also, if we keep playing this way, we’re going to be shown a lot more than we have been. But with the stretching out of the weekend kick-off times, surely this means that everyone is going to be on the telly more.

TV money is such a massive part of all clubs’ income and I’m not sure I’ve seen any articles about it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Probably a dumb couple of questions but here goes.... I’m genuinely interested in this and it goes beyond football too as a general question about TV.

Is the TV deal for the PL clubs this season the same as before (including worldwide rights)? Just wondering whether there is any effect of some advertisers potentially cutting budgets. Or are higher viewing figures having the opposite effect?

Also, if we keep playing this way, we’re going to be shown a lot more than we have been. But with the stretching out of the weekend kick-off times, surely this means that everyone is going to be on the telly more.

TV money is such a massive part of all clubs’ income and I’m not sure I’ve seen any articles about it.

The domestic PL TV deals are negotiated for 3 seasons at a time - I believe 2020-21 is the second year in this particular cycle, so it is, technically, the same as last year, and it will be the same next year. However, there is a rebate that has to be paid for the 2019-20 season due to the contractual conditions broken/not met due to Covid. I believe this figure is £170m, although it won't have to be paid until 2021-22.

I believe foreign broadcasters are seeking a rebate of £160m for last season. In addition, earlier this month the PL cancelled the 3-year Chinese deal that had been due to pay £564m over three years (and, I think, replaced it with a one-year deal at only a fraction of that amount).

In short each PL club is going to be receiving (net) £ millions less over this three-year cycle than they originally expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here