Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Game Management

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We do seem to lose our heads when we score as the same thing happened after we equalised against Chelsea.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Considering the space we were given out wide, and the number of balls crossed straight onto the heads of their centre backs, I wonder whether we ought to have brought on either Veltman or Burn and moved one of the big lads up front

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Absolutely - we are clearly a good side but we are not switched on/clinical/cynical enough.

I remember a game last year when Spurs scored a last minute goal and, rather than celebrating, Mourinho went racing down the touchline to grab a sub to throw on to kill the clock. That might have been the difference today between 1 point and 0.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Two poor pieces of game management today.

The first, from the players, to concede just before the half.

The second, from Potter, not making the final sub after we scored the equalizer.

Otherwise great performance.

That second point is a really good one. Hadn’t thought of it. Wish Potter had as he could have killed the game. Hopefully we learn from it. Could get very wearing watching us outclass teams and still not get any points.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
That second point is a really good one. Hadn’t thought of it. Wish Potter had as he could have killed the game. Hopefully we learn from it. Could get very wearing watching us outclass teams and still not get any points.

Even more so after the corner was conceded. Why leave Maupay marking Maguire when we’ve got Dan Burn sitting on the bench?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are a work in progress, it WILL be addressed

I imagine Potter expected the final whistle, but yes he should have made the substitution when the corner was given. Maybe you need to give notice?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's fair enough to say we could have used the sub to wind down the clock, but would it have made a difference before the kick off? I doubt it. The ref was always going to allow that passage of play which followed. Only other time he could have done that would have been when they got the corner, and you don't make subs just before defending a corner. Had we conceded and he did make a sub just before the corner he would have been slated for that decision anyway.

However, we do look too soft just after scoring. They say that's when you are most vulnerable and we are proving it. Now we need to figure out a way of fixing that. With all of that said, we are so f*cking good right now, I think it's a small criticism, and although significant, it doesn't compare to the massive credit we deserve for the way we are playing, and unlike last season we are doing it for 90 minutes instead of 30 at the start or 30 at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here