Votes: 83 29.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Awarded on the field.

Our old mate Hoops leads the witness, Kavanagh, by telling him Connolly initiated the contact.

Kavangh reviews the incident, not getting all angles by all accounts, and reverses his decision.

Penalty or nah?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll tell you one thing: if that was Rashford or Martial under pressure from an Albion player - it remains a penalty.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
HAven't seen it but Warren and JC were of the opinion that both Penalties were soft and should have been overturned.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Awarded on the field.

Our old mate Hoops leads the witness, Kavanagh, by telling him Connolly initiated the contact.

Kavangh reviews the incident, not getting all angles by all accounts, and reverses his decision.

Penalty or nah?

Yep. Penalty. As you say, Kavannah only saw the angle that made it look less obvious. Jack Grealish does this 4 or 5 times a game, and gets the foul every time.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
You could argue that it wasn't, but no way was it a clear and obvious error. And don't even get me started on Ben White getting penalised and booked for literally the same thing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd have been annoyed if it was given against us.

I was looking for anything, hands, feet, arms, hips to pin a positive decision on and couldn't see a thing wrong.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Both Connolly penalty shouts were unlucky for us. I thought the first one was clever play by Connolly stepping across and letting the player bundle him over but I’d have been pissed off if I was a manure fancier had it not been overturned.

With the second, there was a clear hand on the shoulder. It was borderline. That would not have been overturned by VAR if it had been given.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The frustrating thing for me is that it’s an Umpire’s Call 50/50 one, yet got overturned. What the **** happened to clear and obvious? It’s 100% not a clear and obvious error, should’ve stayed with original decision, just like Umpire’s a call in cricket.

Also, if it’s not a pen (I’m on the fence) then Vardy doesn’t have a career - ALL his pens are won in exactly that manner.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He runs in front of the defender into instigate potential contact. Nothing wrong with that. Shaw did exactly the same but worse in the midfield and they get a free kick and White gets booked. So where’s the fairness in that?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'll tell you one thing: if that was Rashford or Martial under pressure from an Albion player - it remains a penalty.

You are absolutely correct. The awful BT commentary may have glossed over it, but Mick McCarthy on TalkSPORT pointed out that Connolly has done what every good striker should do, getting his body between the defending player and the ball. That’s what they train all their life to do. As he put it, the defender who’s been beaten for pace then has a decision, let the player go or bump them to concede a clumsy penalty.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Mick McCarthy thought it was a penno at the time on TalkSport.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The frustrating thing for me is that it’s an Umpire’s Call 50/50 one, yet got overturned. What the **** happened to clear and obvious? It’s 100% not a clear and obvious error, should’ve stayed with original decision, just like Umpire’s a call in cricket.

Also, if it’s not a pen (I’m on the fence) then Vardy doesn’t have a career - ALL his pens are won in exactly that manner.

Exactly correct. I can see both sides. But at Old Trafford would that have been overturned if it was them and the same officials in charge? I have my doubts...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here