Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The referee needs to be investigated and we should not drop it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suspect it would. The game had finished, the ref had blown his whistle.
Bozza would have started a poll asking if it was the right decision to restart the game.

I've tried to look up the rulings and it seems a bit grey. It says that VAR can look for as long as needed.

The VAR check was already in place when the referee blew the final whistle, thus (this is a guess) as penalties can be taken after the final whistle I would assume this would still be the case for VAR.

The referee shouldn't have blown full time though. Just a single blow to indicate that VAR was in operation. I'm guessing that the signal did not arrive quick enough.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I know one thing , IMO i'm absolutely positive that if that incident happened down the other end of the pitch at the exact time , the game would have finished 2-2 , I think this match proves everything millions of football supporters have always known , the game is crooked and biased toward the so called bigger teams , if anyone ever wanted any proof , just listen to the final whistle , a penalty is signalled by one clear long blast of the whistle, not the 3 short blasts I'm sure I heard , which signify the end of the game .

If we find ourselves in trouble with a appeal then so be it , you cant signal the end of the game then change your mind because your favourite team gets a handball after you've blown up for full time .

Ridiculous and against the laws of the game , lawyers would be queuing up to take this one on if Brighton did actually appeal the final result , which they should be allowed to do in extenuating circumstances such as this .

This isn't sour grapes it's just wrong and goes against everything good about football , I thought I'd seen it all until this happened and it stinks the place out rotten .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suspect we wouldn't have seen this thread had it been the other way round :whistle:

Te thread would have been different, but I suspect there would still have been sadness that football has come to this.

No point in appealing - the appeal would just be dismissed on the grounds that you can;t change the result after the match has finished,

Even though this one was.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know one thing , IMO i'm absolutely positive that if that incident happened down the other end of the pitch at the exact time , the game would have finished 2-2 , I think this match proves everything millions of football supporters have always known , the game is crooked and biased toward the so called bigger teams , if anyone ever wanted any proof , just listen to the final whistle , a penalty is signalled by one clear long blast of the whistle, not the 3 short blasts I'm sure I heard , which signify the end of the game .

If we find ourselves in trouble with a appeal then so be it , you cant signal the end of the game then change your mind because your favourite team gets a handball after you've blown up for full time .

Ridiculous and against the laws of the game , lawyers would be queuing up to take this one on if Brighton did actually appeal the final result , which they should be allowed to do in extenuating circumstances such as this .

This isn't sour grapes it's just wrong and goes against everything good about football , I thought I'd seen it all until this happened and it stinks the place out rotten .

Neil Swarbrick- August 2019

'When an incident is being checked, the first thing that happens is the VAR will automatically engage the referee. They’ll press a red button and tell the referee they’re checking a decision.

While the check is taking place and the referee is fully aware that time is up, they will give a single blow of the whistle to stop play. They will blow their whistle, stop play, put their left finger to their ear and put their palm out to show everyone a VAR is checking the decision. Everyone stops on the field of play. The check will take place, the VAR will come back and say: ‘check complete.’ The referee will then blow for half time or full time. If the review advises a decision is made, the referee will indicate that, the screen will show the incident and a decision will be made'

My conclusion:

1) It appears that the full time whistle was blown as VAR were indicating that there was an incident. No-one at fault really. Just a freak incident. It should have been a single blow.

2) We know penalties still stand if a full time whistle has been blown, thus, given there is time out on a VAR decision, the process must still be followed.

We can only argue on a technicality due to a refereeing error which, when broken down, was merely the stopping of play with a full time whistle rather than the single blow. Either way, he was fully aware time was up, and the incident still needed reviewing.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
No there really isn’t, it’s just paranoia. They’re on the front foot more so it wil seem like they get more penalties etc but over the course of a game and season, incorrect decisons and bad luck even themselves out throughout the league.

I disagree, I don’t believe it’s a conscious bias, but there’s no doubt the bigger teams have more contentious decisions go their way. For instance I don’t believe Man Utd would have had a penalty awarded then overturned by VAR. see Bruno F’s dive last season. It’s not deliberate but if in doubt the officials side with the big guns.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
As pathetic as Palace still being pissy knickered about Sussex plod and the 'items' reported from a game years ago.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
For me, the bigger issue is timekeeping. Take it away from the ref and we wouldn’t have even had the drama happen.
Cavanagh bottled it as the match time (even accounting for the goal celebrations) was over a good 30 secs or so before the corner was even awarded. He didn’t have the bottle to deny them a corner, and was pretty much wearing a sandwich board saying “here, have one more chance”

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This is just a silly discussion. I'm sure no-one is saying that incidents in the dying seconds of a game can't be checked for VAR. Of course they can, so VAR only comes into operation when the ball goes out of play. In the dying seconds of a match that is the full time whistle. So any incident in the last seconds can ONLY be checked after the final whistle.

So what some of you seem to be saying is that the referee should only have blown once rather than three times, to indicate a VAR check. But the whole point of VAR is to spot things the referee missed. So when he blew his whistle he didn't know there was going to be a VAR check.

Regardless of all that, if your sense of unfairness at this game is that the ref blew two many times on his whistle at the end, seriously, get over yourselves.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If Brighton had walked off after the Utd ref had blown his whistle what would happen if they had refused to reopen the game?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not five minutes though ?

4.30 into stoppage when he scored. 30 seconds left but the prick allowed 1:30 . Simple he cheated us wanker

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The one thing a referee can ever be ‘marked down’ on or judged on is time added on or timings on a game. Learnt this when I did my ref course

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
4.30 into stoppage when he scored. 30 seconds left but the prick allowed 1:30 . Simple he cheated us wanker

30 seconds PLUS the time added for stoppages during the 4.30 minutes (and during the other 30 seconds). For the example if 5 minutes added time is indicated at 90 mins, then there is a bad injury taking 5 minutes, then there is still a minimum of 5 minutes left to play

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, this is silly. As horribly disappointing as today's game was, you just gotta let it go and focus on the next game.

Shit stuff happens and there is exactly zero chance that this would ever be overturned anyway. There is no way any football authority would want to set a precedent that the result on the field is just provisional and subject to later review. It would be chaos to start down that road. With VAR we now have the joy of goals being provisional pending a several minute review and I think most would agree that it's terrible. Now imagine adding the idea that the result of a game is provisional pending a investigation of the referees time keeping a couple of days later.

I believe the next game is the league cup game against some no-name team from Manchester...

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
30 seconds PLUS the time added for stoppages during the 4.30 minutes (and during the other 30 seconds). For the example if 5 minutes added time is indicated at 90 mins, then there is a bad injury taking 5 minutes, then there is still a minimum of 5 minutes left to play

Plus you don't stop the game in the middle of an attack. Although, to be fair, I do seem to remember a game last season (don't remember which, and I might be imagining it) where I thought we were supposed to have a corner from the last attack but the ref blew for full time anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here