Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD 26/09/20 Manure special.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'll bet we'll be on first.
Which will give jug ears and co, plenty of time to pontificate on that penalty, how wonderful Manure are and how unlucky the Albion were.

GL: "First up is BHAFC v Manure"

Highlights end......

GL: "So Alan, your thoughts"

AS:":yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::shootself

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Both pundits saying it was a penalty when Connelly went down...no talk about time added on but the **** in black

And the ref originally thought it was, yet VAR says that it’s clear and obvious that all 3 are wrong. Madness and sanitised to the point of spoiling the enjoyment

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And the ref originally thought it was, yet VAR says that it’s clear and obvious that all 3 are wrong. Madness and sanitised to the point of spoiling the enjoyment

Watching MOTD and the camera angle they used, it was a clear pen for Connolly.

That said I don't blame the ref for over turning the Connolly Pen. The real guilty party is Hooper the 4th official. He's clearly broken the rules by suggesting his opinion, and he's given just one angle, the one that's least conclusive for Kavanaugh to look at.

If Kavanaugh had just seen what was shown on MOTD and Hooper had followed rules and not offered his opinions...... I think he would've stuck with his correct initial decision.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Finally done with MotD. They show highlights absolutely filled with Brighton chances and then talk about nothing but Man Utd's poor defending, the amount of space we had and our poor finishing. There is a reason we had that space you sad old dinosaurs and it wasn't because Manu-efin-ited had an off day. We earned it. Our manager out-thought their's and our players out performed their's. No credit given. No analysis of the reason why we dominated. Lineker, Shearer: You're a waste of space, time and money. The BBC is strapped for cash and could spend their resources far more wisely than continuing to underwrite your pointless old boys club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Both pundits saying it was a penalty when Connelly went down...no talk about time added on but the **** in black

Couldn’t agree more, once in front, as a player your entitled not to have any interference. Rio thought the same. Ref gave it, why did he rescind when it wasn’t clear and obvious he needed to? There was contact, the player was behind him. THEN as if we’re in some kind of twilight zone, he booked Connolly. VAR is getting worse.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Finally done with MotD. They show highlights absolutely filled with Brighton chances and then talk about nothing but Man Utd's poor defending, the amount of space we had and our poor finishing. There is a reason we had that space you sad old dinosaurs and it wasn't because Manu-efin-ited had an off day. We earned it. Our manager out-thought their's and our players out performed their's. No credit given. No analysis of the reason why we dominated. Lineker, Shearer: You're a waste of space, time and money. The BBC is strapped for cash and could spend their resources far more wisely than continuing to underwrite your pointless old boys club.

What was strange was shearer started by saying our poor finishing was to blame, then they proceeded to show 3 clips of us hitting the woodwork, where he had to say 'well that was unlucky'' to each one.
Which was it Alan, bad finishing or unlucky?

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
Couldn’t agree more, once in front, as a player your entitled not to have any interference. Rio thought the same. Ref gave it, why did he rescind when it wasn’t clear and obvious he needed to? There was contact, the player was behind him. THEN as if we’re in some kind of twilight zone, he booked Connolly. VAR is getting worse.

Connolly was not booked. When a yellow is rescinded the ref shows the card (to the previously booked player) and then does some kind of arm movement, a bit like a cricket umpire does, to indicate that the yellow is cancelled.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Connolly was not booked. When a yellow is rescinded the ref shows the card (to the previously booked player) and then does some kind of arm movement, a bit like a cricket umpire does, to indicate that the yellow is cancelled.

yeah, realise that now, the feed I was watching they said he'd been booked.

I've just caught up with motd. I'm angry again. Why didn't they even mention the throw in was taken on 97 mins, the corner wasn't taken until 98, probably wasn't even a corner. Still furious here. :rant:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What was strange was shearer started by saying our poor finishing was to blame, then they proceeded to show 3 clips of us hitting the woodwork, where he had to say 'well that was unlucky'' to each one.
Which was it Alan, bad finishing or unlucky?

It was both! Poor finishing because you have to score at least one of them, but unlucky that at least one of them doesn't move a fraction and go in. It can't be good finishing can it.

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
I think the extra time is what is is and we just need to swallow that - I remember shouting "why are they being allowed to take this corner!" at the TV. Nonetheless we have to play to the whistle. Also, I think the handball was harsh as wee Maupay was just starting to jump in the air. I don't think he was reaching to deflect the ball - which is what the penalty was given for.

The major injustice is Hooper's handling of the penalty. Complete shambles. It's a foul all day every day. The ref gives Luke Shaw a free kick in the 74th minute, for which Ben White was unbelievably booked. This is a far milder coming together and for the record I don't think it's even a foul. That kind of cheating does actually need to be erradicated from the game: players in possession just lean over on an opposition player and then sit down. The refs fall for it every time. The opposition player is rarely pulling them back, and certainly not to the extent that they end up about 3 yards away from the ball (as Shaw was by the time he took to the floor). I noticed it the other week against Chelsea too - they just kept sitting down at the slightest contact. Potter has us playing pretty honest football to be fair, I think it's part of his ethos. It's going to be a few years of frustration while other teams continue to con the ref and we don't.

Connolly's was slightly different in that he was actually ahead of Pogba and therefore perfectly entitled to slow down a bit. Pogba ploughs into the back of him. Foul. Penalty. End of story.

This one is going to piss me off for a long time but if we continue to play as we are it will soon be forgotten, unlike the CAUS and Gaston Ramirez with his funsize shinpads. I'll never forget that.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It was both! Poor finishing because you have to score at least one of them, but unlucky that at least one of them doesn't move a fraction and go in. It can't be good finishing can it.

Thanks Alan!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here