Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Perry retires on 30 September

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Remember there being quite a lot of understandable scepticism given what had gone on with shareholders and his involvement with Huddersfield's stadium. To some he was, at best, a troubleshooter/project manager.

The level of detail he had to go into on the stadium plans would have driven most people mad. No-one should have to put up with that. He knew where a fag packet would be dropped within 15 miles of the stadium from the minute the plans were drawn up. Excruciating levels of detail got us where we are. Plus he thinks I'm a bellend, so extra points for being a good judge of character

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Hope he writes a book , my god I can only imagine the never ending corridors full of closed doors he must have had to kick down to achieve what he finally did , a very significant figure in the history of the football club and he will not be forgotten , a well earned retirement awaits .

Still reckon he won't be able to resist another challenge if it presents itself.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Hope he writes a book , my god I can only imagine the never ending corridors full of closed doors he must have had to kick down to achieve what he finally did , a very significant figure in the history of the football club and he will not be forgotten , a well earned retirement awaits .

Still reckon he won't be able to resist another challenge if it presents itself.

If ever there was someone who could look back at their working life and say “I’ve done okay,” it’s Martin Perry. He’s quietly gone about the business of presenting plans that are so well conceived that they cannot be turned down.

We now have the Amex, the training ground and the lancing development to show for his (and many others’) hard work. Through the infrastructure he has helped to create, he’s embedded the club into the community and the community into the club.
His input can’t be overstated.

He should have some sort of dedication somewhere in, or around, the ground: MP’ stamped on iron railings on the walkways up to the stadium or his smiling face in a concourse, he deserves recognition.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He should have some sort of dedication somewhere in, or around, the ground: MP’ stamped on iron railings on the walkways up to the stadium or his smiling face in a concourse, he deserves recognition.

The Martin Perry East Stand?

Perhaps a fitting tribute. Too much? Personally, I don’t think so.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fantastic guy, he always stopped to have a chat if he heard his name called-even after we'd moved in to The Amex among thousands in the concourses. He remembers faces and people from the 'War Years' and seemed genuinely grateful that enough of us stuck around, supporting the efforts of all at the club. Or maybe he was just being genuinely personable to any Albion fan who recognised him... either way he's a genuinely nice man. Always smiling and that first season at The Amex he was like a proud father whose kid had won gold at The Olympics.

I hope that there will be a permanent reminder of him at The Amex-he is one of the most important people ever bought into The Albion.

Enjoy your retirement Martin and thanks for all the hours you put in to ensure this club had a future.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

He literally sold us our tickets for the Cardiff play off final! Just shows how far we’ve come but also what a decent selfless bloke he is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
His impact can simply not be underestimated.

Go along with the comments of others in terms of some sort of appreciation.

The Martin Perry main entrance.....

But most of all every time I have spoken to him, he just comes across as a really nice person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's a great photo the looks on both Dicks and Martins faces tells a story

The lack of an apostrophe in "Dicks" here means you could read that in another way to that which (I think) you intended, which is all the more amusing.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The contribution Martin Perry has made to the club since his arrival in the late 90's is huge and cannot be understated. Were it not for his knowhow of the industry and knowledge, there would have been no Withdean, no Amex, no Lancing and of course, probably no Albion. Add to that his time spent giving evidence at the various public enquiries where he must have been under enormous pressure and stress. As previously mentioned, the word legend is thrown about casually these days. Martin Perry has earned the right to be an Albion legend due to his dedicated work through the years. A stand named after him would be well deserved.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
One of the most important people in the history of the club.

I was going to write something in this thread but I think this just about sums it up.

Thank you Martin.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I feel like we should send him a card.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
The contribution Martin Perry has made to the club since his arrival in the late 90's is huge and cannot be understated. Were it not for his knowhow of the industry and knowledge, there would have been no Withdean, no Amex, no Lancing and of course, probably no Albion. Add to that his time spent giving evidence at the various public enquiries where he must have been under enormous pressure and stress. As previously mentioned, the word legend is thrown about casually these days. Martin Perry has earned the right to be an Albion legend due to his dedicated work through the years. A stand named after him would be well deserved.

I agree 100%

The Martin Perry Stand would be a fitting tribute.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fantastic man. I went on a tour which he gave when the Amex was half built. He was like Willy Wonka, absolutely in dreamland that he could finally deliver what we had all wanted. A very capable and accomplished individual. Speaks volumes that he worked with Dick Knight and then smoothly transferred to Tony Bloom as well.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Has a seat at the top table of Albion legends. Took a harebrained scheme to convert a farmers field next door to a University just off the A27 into a football stadium and turned into it the place we are all temporarily missing visiting.

Also don't overlook the fact he was Chief Executive when we started moving up the divisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here