Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Email Update from Paul Barber

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I dont know. However Barber made a public statement he was negotiating with players and made another one a month later saying was still negotiating so would assume he would make another one when and if this was done. Sorry but I think when your employer no longer has has £1m income per game you should do decent thing and help out. I know many well paid peaple in the 70/100k pa range that have agreed substantial reductions until there employers income streams return to pre covid levels

That’s fine, but you called the players a ‘disgrace’ if they don’t. I put it to you that it’s not just the players on the football gravy train, calling them a disgrace I don’t think is the root of the problem. The players know that taking a paycut will just mean we’ll be more active in the transfer window next summer.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
This topic does make me laugh. I'll find it one day - the piece from the Premier League a year or two ago, and backed up by Barber, crowing about how insignificant the matchday income is these days compared to the riches of broadcast income. The underlying suggestion was, we don't actually need you fans/customers at all - you're a bit of a nuisance with your flasks and bottle tops, so we'll be happy just taking the broadcasters shilling.

Well that vision of the future is here - and the reality is - whether they believe it or not, clubs now have to keep saying "football is nothing without the fans". Well who knew ?
Spectator sports without spectators attending are pretty dull. Piped atmosphere and cardboard cutouts don't always really work.

This should be the time to properly evaluate the future - and look at creative ways to balance the football pyramid for the long term. It'll never happen of course and we'll get plenty more bleating about the dreadful plight of £100,000 a week footballers, as the smaller clubs quietly go to the wall.

I agree, putting tv before fans, i lost count on how many times i've lost money because a match has been rearranged to suit the tv schedule, did not give a rats arse then but now football is nothing without us, oh please give it a rest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here