Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs given Carabao Cup bye after Orient players test positive for COVID

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This decision is correct and was inevitable, given the need to get the fixture done quickly.

It's such as shame as these historic clubs and near neighbours play each other so rarely - just 2 seasons spent in the same division since 1929 and just one meeting in almost 35 years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Guess this will happen to a PL fixture sometime sooner rather than later. Good to know that the PL has planned for this, with appropriately agreed contingency plans in place in the regulations for this season......................

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m sure your view would change if we made the final...

I enjoy any competitive match that Albion are in. But reaching the final wouldn't change my view that the tournament was probably not needed this year. I'd still watch it though, of course I would. There's no conflict there.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The rules for the FA Cup this season certainty say that if teams can't fulfill a tie due to Covid, then they must withdraw. Already happened to several tens in the qualifying rounds. So, the same would have to apply in later rounds.

Presumably the League Cup is the same.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Spurs paid for the testing, Harry Kane sponsors all three of their shirts (which saw them sell 125% of their annual shirt sales in just 2 weeks) & Spurs covered the £150k Orient lost in TV revenue. The rules stated that if a team couldn't fulfil the fixture the opponent would be given a bye. If Barnsley had beaten Chelsea the Spurs v Orient fixture would have been rearranged but as Chelsea won, Spurs were given the bye. Spurs are playing 3 times as week at the moment, squeezing this game into the schedule would have been a logistical nightmare. And as mentioned upthread, Spurs fans put an additional 20k on Orients coffers in the 24 hours after the game was called off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spurs paid for the testing, Harry Kane sponsors all three of their shirts (which saw them sell 125% of their annual shirt sales in just 2 weeks) & Spurs covered the £150k Orient lost in TV revenue. The rules stated that if a team couldn't fulfil the fixture the opponent would be given a bye. If Barnsley had beaten Chelsea the Spurs v Orient fixture would have been rearranged but as Chelsea won, Spurs were given the bye. Spurs are playing 3 times as week at the moment, squeezing this game into the schedule would have been a logistical nightmare. And as mentioned upthread, Spurs fans put an additional 20k on Orients coffers in the 24 hours after the game was called off.

Thanks for that.

And after Spurs took the massive financial step of taking on Bale for a season, perhaps it's time for an end to the 'tight' Spurs trope. We all know what's behind it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not sure why we have a League Cup this year really. Perhaps someone can explain it to me.

The EFL TV deal with Sky covers both the League matches and Carabou Cup. It's estimated that up to 75% of the contract value is for the latter, which is why the EFL are desperate for the competition to take place this season. As it is there is going to be a rebate of broadcast money to Sky because the two legged semi final format has been (sensibly) reduced to one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The EFL TV deal with Sky covers both the League matches and Carabou Cup. It's estimated that up to 75% of the contract value is for the latter, which is why the EFL are desperate for the competition to take place this season. As it is there is going to be a rebate of broadcast money to Sky because the two legged semi final format has been (sensibly) reduced to one.

Okay, thanks for explaining. It appears to help the EFL. I'm all for that at this time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Now Cheltenham v Grimsby off, also in League Two tomorrow. A Grimsby player has Covid-19. Hopefully not James Tilley.

Expect more matches to be called off.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here