Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Elvis 68 comeback tour

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wtf some serious weird audiences in the studios.
Leather clad rock and roll icon surrounded by primary school children and some 30 somethings in thick rimmed glasses.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Leather clad rock and roll icon surrounded by primary school children and some 30 somethings in thick rimmed glasses.
Always loved the live version of Suspicious Minds just when Elvis started to fatten up.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Classic gig though Cyanide, the old boy thought he was finished, unfortunately a painfully short 9 years later he was........

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Classic gig though Cyanide, the old boy thought he was finished, unfortunately a painfully short 9 years later he was........

All because he trusted a fat ringside circus manager who was a degenerate gambler who at the time was in hock to the mob, all very sad really.....

Colonel Tom Parker literally signed his life away, and ultimately killed Elvis.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Always loved the live version of Suspicious Minds just when Elvis started to fatten up.

There's much hilarity to the late, expanding Elvis' performances, another feature being the speed with which they got through the songs. Reminds me of what Prince said: "I've got too many hits".

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
All because he trusted a fat ringside circus manager who was a degenerate gambler who at the time was in hock to the mob, all very sad really.....

Parker was also an illegal Dutch immigrant to the USA and didn't possess a passport, which was why he never let Elvis perform outside of the USA as he feared apprehension by the US border officials. He stayed in the USA all the time Elvis was in Germany doing his national service, and you're right, he was a nasty piece of work whose influence contributed in no small part to the demise and ultimate death of Elvis. And the final irony, is that he out-lived Elvis by 20 years.
:nono:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

I've always thought it was a weird set up as well. I do wonder where they got these people from. Not exactly your typical Elvis fans of the time.

He was definitely at his best there though in looks and voice.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Read up on this once, from the first contract Parker earned 50% of everything Elvis was paid, records, tours, films etc, and Priscilla and the estate only finally got out of the deal in 1982 and it was estimated that Parker earned more from Elvis's death to 1982 than the last 15 years of the Kings life. Makes Don King look like Shirley Temple.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

The one where he terrifies the backing singers? And does the mental drumming dancing? And barely sings the last bit except for going "Well don't you knowuh..."? Yeah it's utterly utterly fantastic.

Elvis '56 is obviously peak Elvis - at that point he's just a supernova of sex & grease - but 1970 Elvis, where he's taking the piss out of himself is my favourite.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The one where he terrifies the backing singers? And does the mental drumming dancing? And barely sings the last bit except for going "Well don't you knowuh..."? Yeah it's utterly utterly fantastic.

Elvis '56 is obviously peak Elvis - at that point he's just a supernova of sex & grease - but 1970 Elvis, where he's taking the piss out of himself is my favourite.

Yes, that is the exact show. He has the audience right where he wants them and the band and the singers all play their part, the way he slows the song then builds it back to its climax is the work of a true showman at the top of his game....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here