Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Music Cassette Tapes

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have to say this was a technology I was please to move away from and adopted MiniDisk for my portable music option as soon as I could afford it.

But having a look in the loft for something else I found my old walkman and the collection of tapes that were sentimental and had not been sent to the tip during various house moves.

When trying the walkman out I realised that the drive belt had perished and the crackle on the volume switch needed some deoxidation spray.

After fixing that I have been having a nostalgic time today playing my old cassettes while working from home and apart from a bit of hiss they sound pretty good.

IMG_2405.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have to say this was a technology I was please to move away from and adopted MiniDisk for my portable music option as soon as I could afford it.

But having a look in the loft for something else I found my old walkman and the collection of tapes that were sentimental and had not been sent to the tip during various house moves.

When trying the walkman out I realised that the drive belt had perished and the crackle on the volume switch needed some deoxidation spray.

After fixing that I have been having a nostalgic time today playing my old cassettes while working from home and apart from a bit of hiss they sound pretty good.

View attachment 128711

How wdid SSSSSSSusssssssudio sound :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have boxes of tapes of John Peel programmes from the 70s to 90s, and CITR (Vancouver) from the 80s.

However there is a web site where you can download hundred of John Peel programmes (I am awash).

Also I was able to download loads of rare stuff from short-lived websites a few years ago, and there is now extremely rare stuff on youtube.

When I found this (below), that I have on a hissy tape that I had been coveting for decades, I realised the world had changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHXeL0FZReY

...so the tapes are pretty much redundant now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have boxes of tapes of John Peel programmes from the 70s to 90s, and CITR (Vancouver) from the 80s.

However there is a web site where you can download hundred of John Peel programmes (I am awash).

Also I was able to download loads of rate stuff from short-lived website a few years ago, and there is no extremely rare stuff on youtube.

When I found this (below), that I have on a hissy tape that I had been coveting for decades, I realised the world had changed.

...so the tapes are pretty much redundant now.

I must say that recording Peel Shows was my first thought about the advantage of cassettes. Whilst I accept your argument that these are digitised now, what hasn't been is the Wedding Present show at The Pavillion Theatre for Radio Sussex's Turn It Up Christmas Party in, I think 1988. I still have it on tape, so thanks cassettes and thanks [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I found a load a while back. Some were tapes i put together myself and some were bootleg/mixing desk tapes, mostly from the 80s.

Flogged the lot on Ebay. Premium quality tapes (TDK SA90, Maxell Metal etc) go very well but the bootlegs are a bit dodgy, Ebay kept pulling them but I got them flogged in the end.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Also miss making mix tapes. I think its a shame that youngsters don't know the fun of making a mix tape for someone you fancy, or the excitment of getting one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I must say that recording Peel Shows was my first thought about the advantage of cassettes. Whilst I accept your argument that these are digitised now, what hasn't been is the Wedding Present show at The Pavillion Theatre for Radio Sussex's Turn It Up Christmas Party in, I think 1988. I still have it on tape, so thanks cassettes and thanks [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION]

You think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1URNcZGBVQ

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I found a load a while back. Some were tapes i put together myself and some were bootleg/mixing desk tapes, mostly from the 80s.

Flogged the lot on Ebay. Premium quality tapes (TDK SA90, Maxell Metal etc) go very well but the bootlegs are a bit dodgy, Ebay kept pulling them but I got them flogged in the end.

I've still got most of Pete Tong's Friday and Saturday shows recorded on SA90's from 91-94 in a huge sealed plastic box.. :rave:

Alway's wondered if a tape to USB machine would decently convert, or pay a fair bit of money to a studio to convert for me..

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What 80s kid didn't save a bomb by recording the Top 40 tracks of choice?
Dolby NR on or off?
FeO or the posher and dearer CrO2?
Had to use the VU dials and meters to fade in/out though.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
What 80s kid didn't save a bomb by recording the Top 40 tracks of choice?
Dolby NR on or off?
FeO or the posher and dearer CrO2?
Had to use the VU dials and meters to fade in/out though.

Absolutely! I still hear songs today that I expect to just end abruptly because I had run out of tape when recording them.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
For some reason, way back in the day I recorded on cassette the BBC radio commentary of us equalising from a corner away at Leeds near the death to make the score 1-1 and played it endlessly afterwards because we were massive underdogs (obvs) and it was such a result. Could have been in the early 1990s...possibly...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
One thing I noticed was that decent Walkmans on eBay are going for silly money. If you have one laying about and don’t want it, it could be worth something. They have to be decent one to begin with like a Sony or Aiwa not Bush or Alba (Argos own brand).

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I used to love the rave DJ mix tapes in the early 90s.

:clap2:

Many a happy trip to Rounder Records in Brighton during this time period to buy said tape recordings of nights out in Brighton!!

P.S. On the rare trips I make these days to the gym, I STILL use a Walkman!! :ohmy: Know it make me a dinosaur, but fu1k it, I still like listening to dance tunes when I exercise and all my good stuff is on tape, so hence the use of my Walkman!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've still got most of Pete Tong's Friday and Saturday shows recorded on SA90's from 91-94 in a huge sealed plastic box.. :rave:

Alway's wondered if a tape to USB machine would decently convert, or pay a fair bit of money to a studio to convert for me..

Yes, they work fine. I've got one - can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't a huge amount. Less than a ton anyway. Converts vinyl to digital too - hardly ever use it though - everything's on YouTube these days (well, nearly everything!)

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
:clap2:

Many a happy trip to Rounder Records in Brighton during this time period to buy said tape recordings of nights out in Brighton!!

P.S. On the rare trips I make these days to the gym, I STILL use a Walkman!! :ohmy: Know it make me a dinosaur, but fu1k it, I still like listening to dance tunes when I exercise and all my good stuff is on tape, so hence the use of my Walkman!!

Yes I used to go to rounder every Saturday for my flyers.
World Dance, Dreamscape as of course Sterns cassettes sold in six packs were the bolloc*s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Just sold a Pet Shop Boys cassette for £150 on Discogs! Found it in a box of tapes I bought for a fiver at a car boot as I’ve just added a Technics tape player to the music room! There was a George Harrison one in there that sold for £30 as well, so if you’ve got any in the loft - dig em out!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

always recorded the essential selection in the 90's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here